P1000 Undecided, any help?

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I went to dealer in Peoria, good salesman, impressions are mixed on the 1000-5. I was turned off by no storage and goofy rear seat belts. The tailgate is so flimsy I cannot believe its for real? Engine is super snappy, loved the steering and enjoyed hearing trans shift, though I could only drive in parking lot! Noticed the reverse gearing is to tall for backing a loaded trailer. I would buy beer for anyone who would take me for a real testdrive in one! I am either going 900xp crew or a white 1000-5. The Ranger is pretty solid but I am kinda wanting the shorter Honda for easier trailering and wife maneuverability ease. Anyone close that wants to help me out ?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in janesville wi, I'd take you for a ride. You don't want the 900 crew for stricky trail riding. Buddy's got a real nice yr old one for sale. There's storage under the drivers seat. And under the rear seats when they are down. Teryx is another shorter option

Last edited:
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I'm in janesville wi, I'd take you for a ride. You don't want the 900 crew for stricky trail riding. Buddy's got a real nice yr old one for sale. There's storage under the drivers seat. And under the rear seats when they are down. Teryx is another shorter option
I never was shown under drivers seat! I intend to bring to wi to ride trails ocasionally, originally from wi!

Reactions: Plumber32
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I drove one at another dealer today and decided it's not engineered as great as its price. I would feel foolish paying 17500 for something so flawed. I liked many parts but overall it was killed when I was asked where we put stuff like a cooler ,blankets, other big stuff. My answer was we would need to spend more money on accessories that would push it close to 20k to make it user friendly. I suddenly knew it was not a great machine. Also gear wine is terrible in back seat.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I drove one at another dealer today and decided it's not engineered as great as its price. I would feel foolish paying 17500 for something so flawed. I liked many parts but overall it was killed when I was asked where we put stuff like a cooler ,blankets, other big stuff. My answer was we would need to spend more money on accessories that would push it close to 20k to make it user friendly. I suddenly knew it was not a great machine. Also gear wine is terrible in back seat.

A person can talk themselves into or out of most anything. However the reason you hear the "gear whine" is because of how quiet the engine runs and exhaust note in combination with how the transmission operates. A considerable amount of that noise goes away with break in and changing differential fluids at the service period. You get that Ranger crew and the noise you can't get rid of is the engine noise via the RPM needed to run the CVT and the extra 40 acres to turn that limo around. If that doesn't do it for you, if you keep and ride a Ranger for a decent period of time (3 yrs+ @ 1000+ miles a year) it will likely nickel ($50) and dime ($100) you for all kinds of repairs after the first 1500 miles or so. But don't take my word for it the hundreds of disgruntled owners on the PRC forums will speak for them selves.

Reactions: Tflynn and Bradmc87
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You might want to buy a used Jeep and wait a few years for a used Honda that is all set up. The Ranger 900 has a lot of problems but you can get a deal now especially with the $1,400 rebate. If you only drive a couple hundred miles a year it may be ok. Check out the air intakes for the air filter and the belt drive. Same poor location on the Can-Am defender but it comes with a 3 year warranty. I have over 2,000 miles on my Pioneer 1000-3 and just bought a Pioneer 1000-5.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
You might want to buy a used Jeep and wait a few years for a used Honda that is all set up. The Ranger 900 has a lot of problems but you can get a deal now especially with the $1,400 rebate. If you only drive a couple hundred miles a year it may be ok. Check out the air intakes for the air filter and the belt drive. Same poor location on the Can-Am defender but it comes with a 3 year warranty. I have over 2,000 miles on my Pioneer 1000-3 and just bought a Pioneer 1000-5.
2000 miles is one hell of a lot for such a short time! I want to join the club just cant get past some of these goof ups. What about door latches, kids couldn't reach them easy, seatbelts were a pain, not even a cupholder! Looks like they prepped it for one in the doors but never installed? Anyway I am still on the fence, I am paying cash, though it costs more than our main car and truck. I just want to get it right the first time as I rarely have money for toys.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
2000 miles is one hell of a lot for such a short time! I want to join the club just cant get past some of these goof ups. What about door latches, kids couldn't reach them easy, seatbelts were a pain, not even a cupholder! Looks like they prepped it for one in the doors but never installed? Anyway I am still on the fence, I am paying cash, though it costs more than our main car and truck. I just want to get it right the first time as I rarely have money for toys.
You better get a new car or truck before you get a new SXS that will give you more time to think about it.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I feel your pain (except for paying with cash part) lol, but I had a can am commander I bought in 2012 brand new. Had not even paid the first payment and it was in the shop with a blew rear end. Now this was not there first year model and I only had 74 easy miles on it. One year later rear seal went out I fixed it as litterally it was out of warranty for 2 weeks and I swore I would never but a can am again. They would not stand behind there product. I've had the pioneer since December and have right at 1000 miles on mine and we love it. Been problem free so far and I drive it twice as hard as the commander and it has been great. The wife takes the kids out in it and I do not worry one bit except for fuel and the occasional law man. She would not drive the commander. Now I'm not saying this as being biased, this is my first Honda. I have owned yamaha suzuki kawasaki can am arttic cat and now honda. The only one I have not owned is polaris. As of right now I am happy with my purchase. Yes it is a lot of money but me and my wife always say how can you put a price tag on happiness and smiles on our children's face. If I can enjoy this time with them while they are young, then I do not care what it costs me.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I feel your pain (except for paying with cash part) lol, but I had a can am commander I bought in 2012 brand new. Had not even paid the first payment and it was in the shop with a blew rear end. Now this was not there first year model and I only had 74 easy miles on it. One year later rear seal went out I fixed it as litterally it was out of warranty for 2 weeks and I swore I would never but a can am again. They would not stand behind there product. I've had the pioneer since December and have right at 1000 miles on mine and we love it. Been problem free so far and I drive it twice as hard as the commander and it has been great. The wife takes the kids out in it and I do not worry one bit except for fuel and the occasional law man. She would not drive the commander. Now I'm not saying this as being biased, this is my first Honda. I have owned yamaha suzuki kawasaki can am arttic cat and now honda. The only one I have not owned is polaris. As of right now I am happy with my purchase. Yes it is a lot of money but me and my wife always say how can you put a price tag on happiness and smiles on our children's face. If I can enjoy this time with them while they are young, then I do not care what it costs me.
Great reply, I worked my ass off on an investment property and it is set to close in a couple weeks. I will have money burning a hole in my pocket, just want to get it right. I have had several gators and had good luck but definitely a no comparison to a honda! Another thing I just remembered is I loved the shifting sound from trans, had a quality sound to me.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to pick your battles when it comes to a 4 seater SXS. For me, I wanted to drivability of a 2 seat with 5 seat capacity. No other manufacture can offer you that. Doesn't matter if its a 4 seater RZR, Ranger, Maverick, etc those things will make you feel like you're driving a school bus down the trail. But with those, you have more room for other things like coolers and what not because of the added length. Even so, a little ingenuity and you could develop multiple solutions for storage. I am confused as to your statement about the tailgate being flimsy, seems more than adequate for most uses. As for trailer backing, I was maneuvering my 18ft car hauler around the farm the other day, around 2500lbs, and it did flawlessly, much better than I had hoped. Try doing that in a Ranger or RZR and you'll blow out the reverse chain.

I had a Polaris High-lifter RZR 1000 before this, and I still don't regret my decision to sell it and buy my Honda. Also, you get a free 1-year warranty with the Honda compared to the 6 months from Polaris.

Naturally, we are going to defend our Pioneer's on this forum just like the Ranger guys probably will on their forum. For an around trail and work vehicle, I just don't think the Honda can be beat.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
You have to pick your battles when it comes to a 4 seater SXS. For me, I wanted to drivability of a 2 seat with 5 seat capacity. No other manufacture can offer you that. Doesn't matter if its a 4 seater RZR, Ranger, Maverick, etc those things will make you feel like you're driving a school bus down the trail. But with those, you have more room for other things like coolers and what not because of the added length. Even so, a little ingenuity and you could develop multiple solutions for storage. I am confused as to your statement about the tailgate being flimsy, seems more than adequate for most uses. As for trailer backing, I was maneuvering my 18ft car hauler around the farm the other day, around 2500lbs, and it did flawlessly, much better than I had hoped. Try doing that in a Ranger or RZR and you'll blow out the reverse chain.

I had a Polaris High-lifter RZR 1000 before this, and I still don't regret my decision to sell it and buy my Honda. Also, you get a free 1-year warranty with the Honda compared to the 6 months from Polaris.

Naturally, we are going to defend our Pioneer's on this forum just like the Ranger guys probably will on their forum. For an around trail and work vehicle, I just don't think the Honda can be beat.
Another great reply, you make some great points. The tailgate reminds me of a kids outdoor playset, they are very similar. Thanks for you guys thoughts on this. I aint gonna lie, the clutch thing isn't great either but I am confident Honda is getting some better ones made for the 2017 models or maybe thinning the steels and adding another friction?

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Another great reply, you make some great points. The tailgate reminds me of a kids outdoor playset, they are very similar. Thanks for you guys thoughts on this. I aint gonna lie, the clutch thing isn't great either but I am confident Honda is getting some better ones made for the 2017 models or maybe thinning the steels and adding another friction?
As of for the tailgate I will say this, I put a full size dog box with 2 65+ pound dogs and all my gear in the top storage of the dog box and it's held up great so far.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Ive decided the 016 has teething issues and I have decided to wait for the 017 model. Things they need to fix, or I wont buy this model; Clutching issue needs to be addressed.....better parts, or better gear ratio, whatever. Seat heat....unacceptable.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Kids are resilient and resourceful little buggers.. My 5 yr old in no time figured she needed to step up the side and look inside to grab and pull up on the handles. I now have a soft top with window and the gear noise to me is no more than with out roof. I was spazzed out on the reliability and gearing early on probably kinda in a childish way Lol! :rolleyes: because like you this is a one time purchase for me. I can't afford to buy then get pissed then trade my way into a deeper and deeper hole. This Pioneer rocks man! The shifting is so cool! If gear wine is too loud compare different units to see if there is a difference. As far as Polaris I just cannot stand all the clutch racket when coasting down hills. It's a most un-nerving and un-natural mechanical sound. As far as the Pioneer.....get a white one..:D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went to dealer in Peoria, good salesman, impressions are mixed on the 1000-5. I was turned off by no storage and goofy rear seat belts. The tailgate is so flimsy I cannot believe its for real? Engine is super snappy, loved the steering and enjoyed hearing trans shift, though I could only drive in parking lot! Noticed the reverse gearing is to tall for backing a loaded trailer. I would buy beer for anyone who would take me for a real testdrive in one! I am either going 900xp crew or a white 1000-5. The Ranger is pretty solid but I am kinda wanting the shorter Honda for easier trailering and wife maneuverability ease. Anyone close that wants to help me out ?
I fully agree with @JACKAL in his post. I say a lot here on my hatred for other brands for a reason. Yes to a degree they are all flawed. What people do not get is its a specialty vehicle made in drastically smaller production then a car. You pay for that luxury in many ways. Cost and quality come to mind. In my opinion Honda is the best. Door latches can be adjusted (at least you're able to) cup holders big deal 7$ a set comes with clips. Back seatbelt sate no big deal (it's a three seater with the ability to have extras) it'll haul a lot and I mean a lot! I pulled (and backed up) a trailer with about a cord and a half on it. We are hard on ours. I love it! I'll NEVER EVER have another belt. It seems as you've already made up your mind for what you call as "solid" so I can't change your mind and doubt to many others can so I'll leave it at that. Other then look around and see how many other brands have 3-4-5-10-15000 on them that have had no work or very little that are still on the trails. Better yet think no one trusts it with that many so your value is crap. Just my two cents.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
They just got a fresh one in, I get paid Friday, we shall see. Hoping they take my offer! If not I am getting a crew 4 polaris to run till next year ,shouldn't lose to much on that.

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They just got a fresh one in, I get paid Friday, we shall see. Hoping they take my offer! If not I am getting a crew 4 polaris to run till next year ,shouldn't lose to much on that.
DON'T FOOL YOURSELF ON THE TRADE VALUE OF A 1 YEAR OLD POLARIS RANGER . TAKE IT FROM MY EXPERIENCE OF LOOSING 5K IN VALUE WHEN I TRADED MINE FOR THE PIONEER. AT LEAST I GOT WHAT I WANTED :cool:. BY THE WAY MOST DEALERS WILL NOT GIVE ANY $ FOR ACCESSORIES AT TRADE EITHER. JUST SAYIN.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!