P500 Which roof & windshield?

P

P520GOAT

Jun 13, 2022
Ca
Ownership

1. 520
Just got a p520 few weeks ago. Wondering which roof and windshield you guys are running? Any you like more than others?

this is the only pic I have of the p520 with the gunner in the back

FF9165CE ED47 4843 A8F2 6373C36930B4

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama.

The aluminum EMP roof that I have only adds about 1/2 to 5/8 inch above ROPS. No complaints with the EMP.
I have an enclosed trailer and I would not be able to get the P5 into the trailer without removing the roof.

Windshield - several options available - whatever you decide on get either Hard Coat or Glass.
I started out with a folding, non hard coated windshield and it scratched badly in the first year or two.
During a ride in the U.P. of Michigan, it started with a mix of rain, snow and sleet. I had a very difficult time seeing and had to stop several times to try to use a shower squeegee to clear enough to see.
The other drawback to this folding windshield was cold rain water and melting slush ran through the hinge point and covered my thighs and knees in a wet mess. About an hour ride back to the motel and my legs were quite cold.
I have since installed a glass sXswindshield, added a windshield washer reservoir with pump and two windshield wipers and I am extremely happy with it. Another thing that's nice about a glass windshield is that you can use a scraper to remove frost or ice just like your car. Doesn't happen many times here in Alabama, but it does when I visit the old stomping grounds in Michigan.

Pros of glass windshield: Doesn't scratch, can be scraped, tinted automotive safety glass. If broken, a local auto glass shop can replace glass in frame.
Cons of glass windshield: Expensive and certainly less air flow than a half or folding windshield.

Good luck on your choices.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama.

The aluminum EMP roof that I have only adds about 1/2 to 5/8 inch above ROPS. No complaints with the EMP.
I have an enclosed trailer and I would not be able to get the P5 into the trailer without removing the roof.

Windshield - several options available - whatever you decide on get either Hard Coat or Glass.
I started out with a folding, non hard coated windshield and it scratched badly in the first year or two.
During a ride in the U.P. of Michigan, it started with a mix of rain, snow and sleet. I had a very difficult time seeing and had to stop several times to try to use a shower squeegee to clear enough to see.
The other drawback to this folding windshield was cold rain water and melting slush ran through the hinge point and covered my thighs and knees in a wet mess. About an hour ride back to the motel and my legs were quite cold.
I have since installed a glass sXswindshield, added a windshield washer reservoir with pump and two windshield wipers and I am extremely happy with it. Another thing that's nice about a glass windshield is that you can use a scraper to remove frost or ice just like your car. Doesn't happen many times here in Alabama, but it does when I visit the old stomping grounds in Michigan.

Pros of glass windshield: Doesn't scratch, can be scraped, tinted automotive safety glass. If broken, a local auto glass shop can replace glass in frame.
Cons of glass windshield: Expensive and certainly less air flow than a half or folding windshield.

Good luck on your choices.

Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the club.

I also have the EMP aluminum roof and really like it, and it ain't coming off unless you are exceeding lightspeed. It does not have as much overhang in front and rear as the Honda roof, which might give you a little more protection in wet weather.

Last edited:
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome
Many good people on the Honda forum along with EXSPENSIVE Advise & Information and they "like Pictures"

As stated above <> Hard to beat <> OEM Honda Hard Roof. on P500 & P520
HAVE Honda Hard Coat tipout on P500
801 Glass with bottom tip up vent on P520 <> (cost not that far apart ) PREFER GLASS

After you have roof & winshield <> rear panel becomes almost required to control dust & exhaust fumes
Hard Kolpin Rear panel on P500
Fabricated a Hard Rear Panel " incorporated Slide Open window" on P520 <> described in another post

Roof/Winshield/ Back Panels <> Not Removed <> when towing

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
When I had my 520 I installed a SuperATV flip-up. However, if you need to access under the hood while out on the trail, you need tools to remove the bottom of the windshield. I modified mine with the parts needed from @SuperATV here on the forum. Now the bottom flips up with a big thumb screw.

CSAhW1a
EbASn9C
F5Xx6nC
43lqI50
XHkxkBm
DE5iBjZ
CSAhW1a

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just got a p520 few weeks ago. Wondering which roof and windshield you guys are running? Any you like more than others?

this is the only pic I have of the p520 with the gunner in the back

View attachment 341324
Welcome from Michigan.
when i had a P5 the honda roof and SATV flip was real nice on that machine.

Question, Whos Gunner and whats he look like? I had a Gunny he was a Black lab
956E5637 2B15 42D1 AB8C 8951D12FF15F

P

P520GOAT

Jun 13, 2022
Ca
Ownership

1. 520
Appreciate everyone’s recommendations! I think I’ll probably end up going with the Honda roof.

still need to decide on windshield, but I think I’ll look into a glass windshield

It’s a “gunner kennel” that was in the back of the 520…Her name is Teal, she’s 15 month old lab. She loves birds

9D565D4C 3814 47A0 A926 05D05EC63180

MarStar

MarStar

Jul 26, 2022
Bell County, Kentucky
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
When I had my 520 I installed a SuperATV flip-up. However, if you need to access under the hood while out on the trail, you need tools to remove the bottom of the windshield. I modified mine with the parts needed from @SuperATV here on the forum. Now the bottom flips up with a big thumb screw.

View attachment 341404
View attachment 341405
View attachment 341406
View attachment 341407
View attachment 341408
View attachment 341409
View attachment 341410
Ordered parts today so we can do this to our bottom windshield. I will use your pictures for reference. Thanks for posting these.

GnomeRider

GnomeRider

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
Columbia, MO
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 p500 and have the Honda Roof and Windshield. I've enjoyed them both. However I will say that the windshield scratches easily. This is probably the nature of all plastic type windshields but I have no other exerience. I can tell you my windshield has be smacked with branches several time extremely hard and no issues, just small scratches.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Honda roof is fine if you can live with the added height. I've ended up with a Tusk half windshield. It's cheap and scratches, but they are not much of a problem being lower. I used the hardware from my scratched up Honda full windshield to make a large visor that has been great. I fold it down for transport. Just need to drive slower in the rain an the visor pretty much keeps most of it out. This combination stops all the fogging and frosting issues in the winter when I plow. Also keeps you out of the sun in the summer.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from FL. I have a Honda roof nice for rain has gutter in front to keep rain out. Flip up windshield to allow air in on hot days. I also thought the suggestion for a soft rear shield is good idea to keep dust out. Tusk makes a less expensive rear shield than Honda. 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!