Pioneer Winch bumper pics

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Well I finished editing the CAD files last night for my winch bumper, and had the time this morning to cut the parts out and slap them together for some fitting and photos. I am really happy with the general shape, I was a little slack on the measuring and angles, and was worried it would be way off, but it looks like it follows the stock lines pretty close to me. I think I should recess the top mid panel, to set the bumper back another inch or so, maybe just a cutout that follows the plastic grill below "Honda"

Overall, this is the second bumper I've done in this fashion, the last was for a friends Sammy. This one I had the foresight to link the mid section panels together, to ease assembly. With a full sheet of steel, I could link the ends as well and cut all as one big piece I think.

I'll prob cut a second edited version with the center section recessed, and then start working on mounts and winch bracing. I'll probably use down tubes to the frame points like the factory bumper. I may add some sort of a hoop guard, I've got a 1.5" tubing die that really needs to see some use. I aslo need to cut the endcaps at some point. I think one of these finished up and powder coated gloss black would look completely badass!!

Photo24

Photo31

Photo4 1

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks awesome, I am really jealous the of the tools and knowledge. Some of you guys have.

We need to open the online aftermarket shop for all things Pioneer.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dude. This is sweet. Ya. I'd sink it in another inch or 2. Need just enough room to put a led light bar on top so it does not stick out on the front side.
2, D rings on the side would be awesome.
Very nice work.

Ya. Who needs aftermarket parts. Y'all just make your own.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Wow nice job.The biggest problem I have with your build is ..... It gets my head to thinking,that hey I could do something like that. :lol:

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Very cool! I'll add this to my list along with the back bumper. How many inches does it stick out past the stock bumper? Looks like it kinda hurts the approach angle a little. It would look sweet coated in bed liner.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks guys

It does stick out- about 3.25" farther in that pic than stock (not including the fairlead) If I recess the top panel to match the curves of the plastic, I think it will be about right, should set it back another 1.5" or so. Approach angle wouldn't really be bothered, the stock bumper's skidplate is what sets the approach angle really, I can match it easily enough there.

I can add clevis mounts, those would be a good idea. I considered recessing some small LED's in it too, but not sure its really necessary. If I get extra light, I think I'd want light that shines onto front wheels (for nighttime obstacles), or reverse lights.

I've got this upcoming weekend off, maybe I will have time to finish the modifications and get it mounted. I'm dying to have my winch mounted, we don't have anyone to ride with really, and I'd really like to test its limits a little further. That being said, I'm off today, its going to be 50+ degrees, and the wife and I are loading up for another trip to Haspin acres :) Will be sure to get pics and hopefully some better video.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How can I make one of these?
If you move it in about the 3.25 you said it will be good. Its nice as it is.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
None yet Ohanacreek,

Its killing me. My free time has been swamped with holiday orders on my small website. As of today its coming to an end though, as I have to ship everything tomorrow. I may have time to work on the bumper this evening finally while I wait for paint to dry.

I have this weekend off, I'd like to go somewhere else to ride as the weather looks like its going to be a tad warmer, but I really want that winch installed so I can push things a bit further.

advertisement
F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
Binfordw, this is impressive. It's going to look sweet when you are done.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Finally had time tonight to work on this.

I hand cut the top of the bumper, instead of cutting a whole new one to save time. I cnc cut a template that matched the lines of the plastic nose piece, and zipped it off with my smaller plasma. I think it really brought the bumper in to where it should be- shaving several inches off of the original shape.

Now I need to work on the skid plate, and tie the two together. Finish the end caps on the bumper shell, and start on welding the seams and cleanup.

Photo15

Photo41

Photo25

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Nice. I wonder if the stock bumper would support this if I just built off of it?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wow. Love it.
@pipe, ya it would if you enhanced the lower mounting points, or even added a new one.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Hope to make one soon. I wish there were just more hours in a day or more days in a weekend!

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I have passed all the hurdles now, all thats really left is finishing work. The bumper shell is all welded up, and the mounts are finished. I'll start grinding/sanding the bumper smooth, and remove the winch mount for full welding and perhaps extra bracing. I think I will add strut braces from the frame mounts out towards the ends of the bumper shell to add more rigidity.

Photo17

Photo27

After I added the endcaps, I was surprised to see they matched the lines of the front end really well!

Photo34

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
The ends of the bumper was my concern. I plan to just build off of the factory bumper and I'm already concerned about it's ends by itself. I like to be able to push people when they need it or even push small trees out of the way. Whats your plans for a rear bumper?

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I haven't given any thought to a rear bumper yet really. I've had so much on my plate this past month, I've been lucky to get this far on my front bumper. I still have a basically finished heater that I need to install, my dash panel to complete, the winch to wire, front bumper to finish, So much to do!

I use the Honda on a daily basis, so that makes it hard to have it down with parts off of it, etc. Now that I have my front doors, its even more useful. I'm not walking/taking tractor to the barn to feed in 20 deg weather when I can drive the Honda!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!