Spare tire

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
When I returned from the dealer with a new winch and front bumper on my 500, I also had a new spare tire for it. I was fix'n to make a trip to Colorado with my Pioneer and wanted a spare, the problem was where to put it. I looked at the roof, but didn't like that idea, the back rack would be used for ice chests and other necessaries. Then I noticed the front bumper was mounted on in the center by 2 bolts.
Tire2 zps2f6e5cd9

A piece of 1 1/2 angle about 7 inches long, 2 holes bored on each side, 2 for the bolts holding the bumper on, 2 to hold the tire on. I used two either 6 or 8 inch eye bolts to hold the tire on with nuts on both sides of the angle iron bracket. I run a tie between the eyes on the bolts to keep them from loosening and with the eye bolts I can remove them with out tools.

Tire5 zps84f4314b

Tire1 zpsd4989273

Tire4 zps81190a5d

Tire3 zps11fcde3d

It's rode there for about 4 months now, 2 trips to Colorado and lots of mud here in Arkansas, and it's still riding good. Plenty of room between the tire and the grill for air, no over heating.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Question about riding in Colorado, by the way "Great Idea" on the mount! Where did you ride in Colorado? We have been there 5 times on the Goldwing, beautiful country via highway. Now we are looking for off road scenery, any ideas appreciated.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Back in the 1970's and 80's we always went out to western Colorado around Montrose, the ride from Pueblo to Montrose on HWY 50 was really nice. You run along the Arkansas River and Royal Gorge, cross Monarch Pass. Further along that route you cross Blue Mountain Lake and are close to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There are lots of public land and side roads to hit all along this run. Due to work and family I didn't go back until 5 years ago. A close friend has a cabin in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in southern Colorado. I went out with him one summer to check on his place and re-fell in love with the mountains. I've been back a couple of times a year since. The east side of the Sangre De Cristos is mostly public, the west side we are on is almost all private. Across the San Luis Valley to the west near Alamosa you hit the San Juan Mountains, that are mostly public land, not to mention the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve at the north end of the San Luis Valley. Hope this helps and gives you a start'n place.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
The front is good place to mount any number of things. Also helps keep the center of gravity lower. I mounted a piece of PVC pipe to keep the legs for my shooting benches (prairie dogs). Much handier than putting them in a box on the back.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Back in the 1970's and 80's we always went out to western Colorado around Montrose, the ride from Pueblo to Montrose on HWY 50 was really nice. You run along the Arkansas River and Royal Gorge, cross Monarch Pass. Further along that route you cross Blue Mountain Lake and are close to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There are lots of public land and side roads to hit all along this run. Due to work and family I didn't go back until 5 years ago. A close friend has a cabin in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in southern Colorado. I went out with him one summer to check on his place and re-fell in love with the mountains. I've been back a couple of times a year since. The east side of the Sangre De Cristos is mostly public, the west side we are on is almost all private. Across the San Luis Valley to the west near Alamosa you hit the San Juan Mountains, that are mostly public land, not to mention the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve at the north end of the San Luis Valley. Hope this helps and gives you a start'n place.
Thanks for the info! I have met a few people from Colorado, during our travels and am in touch with them for more ideas.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
The front is good place to mount any number of things. Also helps keep the center of gravity lower. I mounted a piece of PVC pipe to keep the legs for my shooting benches (prairie dogs). Much handier than putting them in a box on the back.

I really liked having the spare mounted on the front, besides being out of the way and handy, it made a great front bumper. I took it off though. When I had the tire up front I had my winch mounted on the low Honda winch mount and it stayed wet and full of mud. I put a higher winch mount on to get it up out of the water and mud, but when I did the spare was in the way. Later I ended up mounting a 14" led light bar on top rail of the front bumper, too. That would have meant moving the tire too, if I hadn't already done it. While it was mounted to the front I had no problems with the 500 overheating, at all.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
2D839EEA EBF3 490E B1C1 0365354126D9
160BBE51 EC8B 4218 8A8C C84B291171C0
23FC97D4 5F8F 43C1 BB35 071B7486D76A
When I returned from the dealer with a new winch and front bumper on my 500, I also had a new spare tire for it. I was fix'n to make a trip to Colorado with my Pioneer and wanted a spare, the problem was where to put it. I looked at the roof, but didn't like that idea, the back rack would be used for ice chests and other necessaries. Then I noticed the front bumper was mounted on in the center by 2 bolts.
View attachment 33745

A piece of 1 1/2 angle about 7 inches long, 2 holes bored on each side, 2 for the bolts holding the bumper on, 2 to hold the tire on. I used two either 6 or 8 inch eye bolts to hold the tire on with nuts on both sides of the angle iron bracket. I run a tie between the eyes on the bolts to keep them from loosening and with the eye bolts I can remove them with out tools.

View attachment 33746

View attachment 33747

View attachment 33748

View attachment 33749

It's rode there for about 4 months now, 2 trips to Colorado and lots of mud here in Arkansas, and it's still riding good. Plenty of room between the tire and the grill for air, no over heating.

I recently made the same front spare tire mount. I used 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 angle steel 1/8 inch thick and 7 inches long. I also used 1/2 inch eye bolts 8 inches long from Tractor Supply. I welded the nuts facing the radiator in place and used the other 2 nuts facing the spare tire to lock the assembly in place. I faced the tire with the deep well portion facing forward to help funnel the airflow to the radiator. I also used a wheel with openings around the edge for better airflow.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looks like it will keep mud from clogging radiator.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like it will keep mud from clogging radiator.
Probably will! Don’t get much mud in Arizona, but this winter has been really wet. I’ve seen videos of folks playing in the mud and it would probably be helpful for guys serious about mud driving.....btw, the mount is very secure with 0 spare tire movement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!