P500 ‘17 P500 autoshift

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all! Newbie here to the forum. I just got a 17 p500 and really enjoy it. I’ve been playing around with the paddle and auto a bit and it seemed like the the auto shifted a bit rough. The paddles shift smooth as silk. It almost feels like it’s going into neutral for a second on the way up in auto whilst shifting. I have a couple friends with newer Hondas (700 and Big red) and they both say its not right. On the way down thru the gears it goes in a little rough (feels like an emphasized tow/haul gear in a truck) and puts u to the windshield a bit. Has anyone else had this issue? How long is the warranty? A year?

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
What you are feeling is normal. I believe the machine actually cut fire as it shifts this is probable the neutral feeling you are getting. Once you change oil a few times switch to a synthetic and the clunkiness should get better. The computer will learn your shift habits after awhile and that will help also. Once you figure out at what speed it shifts you can ease off the throttle as it hits that speed and it will shift better. Like the others said clutch adjustment also helps.
Welcome the forum from East Texas hope this helps

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Seems a little bit goes a long way on the adjustment screw. I tried a few different settings to see what worked best. Definitely shifts better. Thanks again for all the help!

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same issue with my 2017 but it seems to be getting better the more I drive it ,I also noticed that when riding in manual mode if I slow down without downshifting it will automatically downshift on its own..
.not sure if this is normal or not
I've got a 500 Rubicon with automatic or manual transmission and it just seems to shift a lot smoother

Reactions: Dp5hunter
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same issue with my 2017 but it seems to be getting better the more I drive it ,I also noticed that when riding in manual mode if I slow down without downshifting it will automatically downshift on its own..
.not sure if this is normal or not
I've got a 500 Rubicon with automatic or manual transmission and it just seems to shift a lot smoother
The auto downshift is normal in manual and auto modes.

advertisement
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree, shifting can be rough in the first 500-750 miles, but after an oil change, clutch adjustment, the unit begins to settle down. Mine in auto mode, I notice the engine "let's off" just slightly as it shifts up and appears to be reasonably, but not as smooth as doing it by hand/paddle.

Reactions: Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!