P1000 1000-5 roof on 1000-3

DennyChapman

DennyChapman

Sep 7, 2021
Statesboro Ga.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picking up my p1000-3 buggy in less than 2 weeks , and looking to add a roof and windshield asap. But I want to fab a upper rear support for a 1000-5 roof without the vertical supports ! Any thoughts or disagreements why this wont work. ?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are gonna need supports of some type or another. The roof will not simply cantilever out there as is, it would flex and fail in fatigue in short order I think. At a minimum you would need a horizontal frame member extending back under each roof side edge and across the rear to support the plastic. Then a diagonal strut on each side from the added rear support member going forward and down to form a triangle - that diagonal down brace, at its forward end, would probably not need to go all the way to the bottom, half way down, maybe less, would do. This brace supports the rear roof weight in compression.

DennyChapman

DennyChapman

Sep 7, 2021
Statesboro Ga.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are gonna need supports of some type or another. The roof will not simply cantilever out there as is, it would flex and fail in fatigue in short order I think. At a minimum you would need a horizontal frame member extending back under each roof side edge and across the rear to support the plastic. Then a diagonal strut on each side from the added rear support member going forward and down to form a triangle - that diagonal down brace, at its forward end, would probably not need to go all the way to the bottom, half way down, maybe less, would do. This brace supports the rear roof weight in compression.
Yea that’s pretty much the same way I’m thinking as well.. not sure as to go with a factory roof or just get some aluminum sheet metal and fit it myself.. ill let ya know the outcome. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!