P1000m5 1000-5 winch

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
I am about to buy a Honda pioneer 1000 and will be adding a winch to it. I'm wondering if I should have the dealership install the winch or should I get something other then the dealer offers. I'm looking for a recommendation on the best winch to put on this vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just ask the dealer what he puts on. You definitely want at least a 4500 lb unit.
My dealer only offered Warn. I had them install it. I could have saved $50 if I'd bought it and put it on myself. But winches take a LONG time to install.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the warn 4500 install my self. The instructions are all on line and are about 22 pages long. The majority of the instructions are taking the plastics off witch I think is a bunch of busy work just to overwhelm the customer so you feel like you have to take it to the dealer. I installed my winch and the only thing I took off was the hood with the tabs and the seat. If you have a general idea of what you are doing it will take about 2 hrs to do a nice clean job. Maybe a little longer if every time you put down your beer you forget where you put it last and have to go find it!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also did the install myself, completely following the OEM instructions. The positive I got from doing it that way was I became intimately familiar with my machine. I totally agree with @sharp though. It isn't necessary to remove everything. My suggestion is if you are going to run the ground per the OEM instructions, just take off the front skid plate. It takes about 2 minutes. You should be able to access everything you need to route the ground accordingly.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only reason I took the seat off was to ground it to the seat frame. As for the sub harness that connects to the back of the accessory plug I just reached up under there and plugged it in by feel. I also left the winch control plug in under the hood because I thought it was stupid that they put it in the glove box. Remember motto " high and dry" when running wires on a utv!

Reactions: AKRider
R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
I ordered the KFI 4500 large drum winch and mount from Amazon. It's seems to be very high in quality and it has high ratings but I havn't got to use it yet. The installation is pretty darn easy and It'll save you quite a bit of money over the Honda Warn with Honda mounting kit. The large drum version is a tight fit but it does fit. I only had to trim about a 1/4 inch of plastic with a utility knife where you can't even really see. I also custom cut and crimped new terminals to each cable for a custom fit.

D

dillonhart

Jun 10, 2016
shreveport, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i had a dealership install with my 4500 lb warn. I have to say i was disappointed last weekend due to winch overheat issues. I came home and re routed the positive to the actual battery terminal (dealer wired to started solenoid). I doubt this is the issue but it won't hurt in the future. I also am not sure i have heavy enough wire from dealer install. the weird part is when i got home i put my battery on a tester and it was fully charged, so its not a power issue, either winch motor overheat or subpar wiring. The winch solenoid is warn brand......still wondering

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mounting a winch is no problem at all. Unless you get it done for free or have no tools, I don't know why you would not do it yourself. I bought a SuperWinch 4500lb synthetic with a KFI Winch mount. Works great, not very expensive. Add a super inexpensive wireless remote and you are golden.

M

Massey1635

Mounting a winch is no problem at all. Unless you get it done for free or have no tools, I don't know why you would not do it yourself. I bought a SuperWinch 4500lb synthetic with a KFI Winch mount. Works great, not very expensive. Add a super inexpensive wireless remote and you are golden.

I got the same winch (Terra Series) and not real pleased with dealer install. One thing I'm concerned about is they mounted it with the rope spooling over the top. I under stand this was to straighten the angle of the rope to a more direct route out the front but the instructions say not to do this, only spool from the bottom. See any problem with this or will it be alright? How did you mount yours and how is your rope spooling-over the top or under like the instructions say?

advertisement
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
So why are Warn winches so much more expensive than super winch? Double the price? Can't be that much better right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
The wireless kit is almost as much as the winch.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So why are Warn winches so much more expensive than super winch? Double the price? Can't be that much better right?

Warn uses metal gears. Not sure about the other guys.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Installed the Warn 4500 my self. Running the wires was not too bad. Just fed the ground through along the passenger side rail and reached in from the seat to pull through. Remove the seat back and filler panel for access to the engine ground. Sub harness to cig lighter was done by feel. Might be able to open the access panel on the firewall and get from there, I did think about it at the time. The winch mount goes smoother with 2 people. Just basic hand tools, a little time and you'll have it installed. Great opportunity to see where things are at on this machine.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed the Warn 4500 my self. Running the wires was not too bad. Just fed the ground through along the passenger side rail and reached in from the seat to pull through. Remove the seat back and filler panel for access to the engine ground. Sub harness to cig lighter was done by feel. Might be able to open the access panel on the firewall and get from there, I did think about it at the time. The winch mount goes smoother with 2 people. Just basic hand tools, a little time and you'll have it installed. Great opportunity to see where things are at on this machine.
Installed the last two winches myself in past, but considering how much this rig cost me and wanted it done right, let the dealer to it all along with other extras. No regrets, any problems its all under extended 48 month warranty.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
There is nothing complicated about installing a winch. It just takes time.

Warn makes good winches. Warn isn't bashful about asking $$$ for them. Definitely check the opinions (old threads) on this forum and read all the reviews before you buy a brand you don't know.

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Does anyone have an opinion on the 4500 pound winch that super ATV sells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!