P1000m5 1000-5 won't start. Electrical issue??

F

FrogsinAlaska

Jan 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need some help! I was driving my 1000-5 deluxe back in September in low manual on level ground in 3rd or 4th gear. I head a whining noise come from the rear passenger side then the machine just died and would not even attempt to crank over, just a click under the hood. Also when I turned the key on I could hear a noise (later found out it was the speed control motor "cycling"). I've checked everything I can think to check maybe have narrowed it down the the TR sensor. I have taken the starter out and it spins, so seems like something is binding up the flywheel (it spins freely one way with starter out). Seems like an electrical/sensor issue. Any advice or input would be awesome! Don't want to take it to the dealer (out of warrant) for them to charge me $90 and hour to check who knows what. Thanks in advance for any help!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Number one, what year, and milage?

-Check all grounds very good.
-you should bench test that starter. Spinning freely with your hand Dosnt mean its good.
-what do you mean “flywheel spins freely one way with the starter out”?
as in real easy or with compression?
If its real easy, it should not be at all! theres alot of internal engine things that could be the cause if that. And neither one is easy fix or good for that matter

Reactions: Smitty335
F

FrogsinAlaska

Jan 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Number one, what year, and milage?

-Check all grounds very good.
-you should bench test that starter. Spinning freely with your hand Dosnt mean its good.
-what do you mean “flywheel spins freely one way with the starter out”?
as in real easy or with compression?
If its real easy, it should not be at all! theres alot of internal engine things that could be the cause if that. And neither one is easy fix or good for that matter
2020 with 1691 miles.
I did hook power up to the starter and it spins.
I can reach in where the starter connects to the fly wheel and the two "gears" in there will spin freely down, but won't budge up (I read somewhere about there being a one way clutch that allows that?) and I think up or counterclockwise if looking at the front of the motor is the way the starter is trying to turn it.
I should also mention that the machine has been drowned, but that was almost 1000 miles ago no issues since I got it running after that.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2020 with 1691 miles.
I did hook power up to the starter and it spins.
I can reach in where the starter connects to the fly wheel and the two "gears" in there will spin freely down, but won't budge up (I read somewhere about there being a one way clutch that allows that?) and I think up or counterclockwise if looking at the front of the motor is the way the starter is trying to turn it.
I should also mention that the machine has been drowned, but that was almost 1000 miles ago no issues since I got it running after that.
Im not aware of the one way clutch on the flywheel. Maybe @HondaTech can be of assistance and shed some light

Reactions: Smitty335
F

FrogsinAlaska

Jan 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F

FrogsinAlaska

Jan 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found the issue..broken rod knocked a hole in the crankcase and damaged some transmission gears 🤦‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: TripleB and toddvdh
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Was the engine spinning at extremely high rpm when it failed?

Reactions: toddvdh
F

FrogsinAlaska

Jan 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was the engine spinning at extremely high rpm when it failed?
I wouldn't say extremely high, but definitely over idle.
You never said that!🤨
would have saved alot of thinking here lol
oops! Sorry about that, thought I mentioned that earlier! Might have been in another thread.

18DF199F 5BA5 48F5 B904 03C24B1D925F 96B6B469 4081 4B5A AAE2 F5BA32439818 F2CFC061 20A9 404E 88BD 64AFE9588014 0357A419 F6CE 44FA A909 5DAC71BE9000

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!