BOX1

P700 10000 miles high?

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all. There is a 2014 700-4 for sale here near me for a good price. Looks like it has been well cared for however it has around 10000 miles. It is a 4 hour drive from me, so I haven't seen it in person yet.

They say it doesn't have any leaks, drives great, and fires up right away. It has the original motor and suspension.

Anything I should check for in particular? Is that high of miles concerning to you?

Also, I am in Idaho and will use it in higher elevations. Should that be a concern of mine?

Thanks all!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The miles? Well...yes, most would consider that a lot. If it's been cared for and running well and the price reflects those miles, it probably has some life left. I personally put just under 9K on my og 700, and it was still purring like a top when I sold it. I figured I'd give it 15-20k before I started looking for a engine or rebuild sources. There are 700's out there with 20k plus, with no failures.

Altitude doesn't bring out the best in the 700. You didn't mention how high, but generally speaking, it will do what you need it to do, but may not always do what you want it to do. Climbing really steep walls at 10k feet with 4 people isn't going to happen, but most actual trails can be done, albeit slowly.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also, hit up @ByronM. He just did the silverton ride with a 700, and that's about as high as you'll get a SxS without loading it into an aircraft.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The miles? Well...yes, most would consider that a lot. If it's been cared for and running well and the price reflects those miles, it probably has some life left. I personally put just under 9K on my og 700, and it was still purring like a top when I sold it. I figured I'd give it 15-20k before I started looking for a engine or rebuild sources. There are 700's out there with 20k plus, with no failures.

Altitude doesn't bring out the best in the 700. You didn't mention how high, but generally speaking, it will do what you need it to do, but may not always do what you want it to do. Climbing really steep walls at 10k feet with 4 people isn't going to happen, but most actual trails can be done, albeit slowly.
Thanks @DG Rider . Great feedback. Yeah, the mileage has me a bit concerned, but I know these are built to last and seems to be well maintained.

It has a winch, marine stereo, light bar, roof, windshield, rear shield, and newer tires.

Elevations consistently 4500- 8000, occasionally upwards of 10000.

We don't see these pop up for sale often, and when they do, they are priced higher than many other parts of the country.

They're asking $7250.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks @DG Rider . Great feedback. Yeah, the mileage has me a bit concerned, but I know these are built to last and seems to be well maintained.

It has a winch, marine stereo, light bar, roof, windshield, rear shield, and newer tires.

Elevations consistently 4500- 8000, occasionally upwards of 10000.

We don't see these pop up for sale often, and when they do, they are priced higher than many other parts of the country.

They're asking $7250.
I dunno...that seems a bit high, but you know your market.

For perspective, I gave mine away to a dealer. Got in a bind, which means I had to hurry. That all adds up to bending over and taking it like a man to the tune of $4500. That was in KY, where most people didn't even ask a price once they learned the miles. It was like a fuse blew in everyone's head to imagine there is a place on earth where one could rack up that mileage in 3 years. Big difference in "high miles" between the west and east.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I dunno...that seems a bit high, but you know your market.

For perspective, I gave mine away to a dealer. Got in a bind, which means I had to hurry. That all adds up to bending over and taking it like a man to the tune of $4500. That was in KY, where most people didn't even ask a price once they learned the miles. It was like a fuse blew in everyone's head to imagine there is a place on earth where one could rack up that mileage in 3 years. Big difference in "high miles" between the west and east.
Purely short sighted amateurs.

FB IMG 1597007938563

NormalTed

NormalTed

Oct 7, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought my 2015 700-4 with 8600 miles at a local auction house. This is my first sxs. Bidders could start it but not drive it before bidding. That was a bit of a risk, but it fired right up, went into gear, and sounded good. Inspecting the undercarriage showed some bumps and bruises but nothing major and zero leaks. I've owned a whole series of Honda motorcycles, starting with a 160 Scrambler in 1968, and ending with an '86 Goldwing GL1000 which I bought well used with 60,000 miles for $800 and rode for at least 15 years. So I knew how reliable Hondas are. (Reliability is more important to me than a lot of bling or speed.) In my mind, the transmission vs CVT was a major plus also. One other factor - the 700-4's previous owner was Idaho Fish and Game. It showed lots of bumps and bruises, but I assumed they did the right thing maintenance-wise, because getting stranded in Idaho back country can be a serious problem. We’ve been driving it for a few years now and absolutely love it. If I have any complaints, it would be that I’m not thrilled that it’s a noisier ride than any of my old Honda bikes (but we are under a roof and behind a windscreen).

Oh yeah, I feel like I got great deal on it for $5550, it was an online auction and I beat out another bidder by seconds and fifty bucks. I must live right I guess. :)

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my 2015 700-4 with 8600 miles at a local auction house. This is my first sxs. Bidders could start it but not drive it before bidding. That was a bit of a risk, but it fired right up, went into gear, and sounded good. Inspecting the undercarriage showed some bumps and bruises but nothing major and zero leaks. I've owned a whole series of Honda motorcycles, starting with a 160 Scrambler in 1968, and ending with an '86 Goldwing GL1000 which I bought well used with 60,000 miles for $800 and rode for at least 15 years. So I knew how reliable Hondas are. (Reliability is more important to me than a lot of bling or speed.) In my mind, the transmission vs CVT was a major plus also. One other factor - the 700-4's previous owner was Idaho Fish and Game. It showed lots of bumps and bruises, but I assumed they did the right thing maintenance-wise, because getting stranded in Idaho back country can be a serious problem. We’ve been driving it for a few years now and absolutely love it. If I have any complaints, it would be that I’m not thrilled that it’s a noisier ride than any of my old Honda bikes (but we are under a roof and behind a windscreen).

Oh yeah, I feel like I got great deal on it for $5550, it was an online auction and I beat out another bidder by seconds and fifty bucks. I must live right I guess. :)
Thanks for the info! Where at in Idaho do you ride? Any issues without a low range in the 700-4?

I bought a sweet little 500, but the plan is in a year or two to get a 700-4 or 1000-5 to take the whole family together.

I'd be concerned a loaded 700-4 would want to feel like it is running away from you down a long downhill without a low range and you'd have to ride the brakes. What is your experience with that?

NormalTed

NormalTed

Oct 7, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats on the P500. Sorry I was late chiming in on that high mileage P700-4. (I don't get on this site too often but enjoy it when I do.) We live in the Treasure Valley, not far from the Snake River and the Owyhee mountains (high desert country). Hundreds of miles of BLM trails there that are great pretty much year-round. Also we have property at Cascade Lake, where we leave our motorhome and the Honda (in a shed) for weeks at a time in the summer. There are great national forest trails all around (had it up to about 8300 ft elevation there with no issues- but that was just the wife and me, and not too steep trails). We've loaded it up with 4 adults and gone up (and down) some fairly steep trails at around 6000 ft with no issues. I've never had it poop out and backed off a steep incline due to lack of power (only lack of nerve once or twice). I would be concerned about it having enough power to change to larger diameter wheels though. On steep downhills the transmission downshifts beautifully on its own as soon as you tap the brakes - minimal braking required. I did replace the rear brake pads after I bought it. Easy job and not expensive.

I also added a winch, made my own windshield from a sheet of plexiglass (made wife happy) and attempted to quiet the drive train noise a bit with some insulation. Photos attached. Also, I believe I misspoke when I said it had 8600 miles when I bought it. I just checked the odometer and its now showing almost 8900. It must have been more like 8200 at the auction house. Bottom line, I'm quite happy with it. Its nice to load up family or friends or lower the rear seats and haul tools or whatever.

A2021 01 28 170210 19202021 01 28 170259 19202021 01 28 170328 19202021 01 28 170400 1920i

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats on the P500. Sorry I was late chiming in on that high mileage P700-4. (I don't get on this site too often but enjoy it when I do.) We live in the Treasure Valley, not far from the Snake River and the Owyhee mountains (high desert country). Hundreds of miles of BLM trails there that are great pretty much year-round. Also we have property at Cascade Lake, where we leave our motorhome and the Honda (in a shed) for weeks at a time in the summer. There are great national forest trails all around (had it up to about 8300 ft elevation there with no issues- but that was just the wife and me, and not too steep trails). We've loaded it up with 4 adults and gone up (and down) some fairly steep trails at around 6000 ft with no issues. I've never had it poop out and backed off a steep incline due to lack of power (only lack of nerve once or twice). I would be concerned about it having enough power to change to larger diameter wheels though. On steep downhills the transmission downshifts beautifully on its own as soon as you tap the brakes - minimal braking required. I did replace the rear brake pads after I bought it. Easy job and not expensive.

I also added a winch, made my own windshield from a sheet of plexiglass (made wife happy) and attempted to quiet the drive train noise a bit with some insulation. Photos attached. Also, I believe I misspoke when I said it had 8600 miles when I bought it. I just checked the odometer and its now showing almost 8900. It must have been more like 8200 at the auction house. Bottom line, I'm quite happy with it. Its nice to load up family or friends or lower the rear seats and haul tools or whatever.

AView attachment 251519View attachment 251520View attachment 251521View attachment 251523i
Awesome! Thanks for the very detailed info. Makes my decision even harder... Haha! I think the only way to solve this is to buy one of each! Haha, I wish.

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info! Where at in Idaho do you ride? Any issues without a low range in the 700-4?

I bought a sweet little 500, but the plan is in a year or two to get a 700-4 or 1000-5 to take the whole family together.

I'd be concerned a loaded 700-4 would want to feel like it is running away from you down a long downhill without a low range and you'd have to ride the brakes. What is your experience with that?
Made it up and down hills with my buddy, his dog, 70lbs of gear and a quartered out moose...no issues!

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Made it up and down hills with my buddy, his dog, 70lbs of gear and a quartered out moose...no issues!
Thanks for the info. I am thinking it will do what I need it too, but will it do what I want it to do? Not sure.

I need to setup a fun ride here locally with those that have both 700-4 and 1000-5 so we can test both.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info. I am thinking it will do what I need it too, but will it do what I want it to do? Not sure.

I need to setup a fun ride here locally with those that have both 700-4 and 1000-5 so we can test both.
That's a phrase I've used several times in describing the 700.
It'll probably do what you need it to do - IE, get you where you're going.
What you want to do - IE climb the widowmaker your buddies are climbing in other machines...maybe not.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That price seems high to me. It's a Honda so if it's had all schedule maintenance at a Honda dealer with repairs and replacements done if needed it could have many years of useful service life remaining. If it has been neglected and service intervals ignored it could be nearing the end of it's service life. Does he seller have complete service records?

I don't see a block to enter miles on the site so don't know what the average miles of a typical P700 might be.

Reactions: Mudwing
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
That price seems high to me. It's a Honda so if it's had all schedule maintenance at a Honda dealer with repairs and replacements done if needed it could have many years of useful service life remaining. If it has been neglected and service intervals ignored it could be nearing the end of it's service life. Does he seller have complete service records?

I don't see a block to enter miles on the site so don't know what the average miles of a typical P700 might be.
Yeah, I was thinking it might have been. Seems like it was in good condition, all things considered. But, someone snagged it up so I am chilling with my little P500 for now.

I'll keep saving my pennies for another year or two and then I'll be seriously looking at a 700-4 deluxe or 1000-5 base.

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!