P1000 14 vs 15" wheels + remove stagger + add spacers

C

cjacco

Jan 8, 2021
NJ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. Upgraded to SuperATV High Clearance A-Arms front and back. Super ATV tie rods front and back. Running stock axles and stock wheels - 14R9 in front. 14R11 in back. 28" big horn 2.0s. looking to remove stagger and maybe go 14" or 15" R10 all the way around and 29" tires to avoid upgrading axels. Maybe add 1.5" spacers since she's top heavy. Anyone do something like this without replacing axels? Thoughts.on setup?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you did a little homework. I’ve got 28s on 14 inch rims. If I was to do it over I would go 15 inch rims. Much better selection of LT tires that wear like iron. UTV tires don’t last. Just my opinion.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE.
Welcome from Michigan.

Yeah, hundreds on here have done this, its peppered in the search up top Including myself in some form or another. Dont worry about 29’s an/or spacers having to upgrade axels. Only when u do arms and a usless IMO bracket lift will u have to do that.

Now that we helped u a bit, you need to help us. You have 2 posts since joining 21’ and no pics of your rig. You se its kinda a a requirement.
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. Upgraded to SuperATV High Clearance A-Arms front and back. Super ATV tie rods front and back. Running stock axles and stock wheels - 14R9 in front. 14R11 in back. 28" big horn 2.0s. looking to remove stagger and maybe go 14" or 15" R10 all the way around and 29" tires to avoid upgrading axels. Maybe add 1.5" spacers since she's top heavy. Anyone do something like this without replacing axels? Thoughts.on setup?
Welcome to the forums! I did exactly this (as many others have), save the tie rods.

You can do a 30" tire without doing axles. It's a lift, not the tires or SATV a-arms, that necessitate the axle changes. Keep in mind that all 30" tires are not alike. Some measure 30" when inflated, some measure more than that, and some measure less. My 30x10-15 Tusk Aramid Terrabite tires measure 29.0" overall diameter. I do NOT recommend them if you go with a beadlock wheel, though. They are 10-ply and do not play well (leak). I went with the RB3 Offroad Pioneer "Wide Track" wheel spacer kit (1" front, 1.5" rear) and true 5+2 (+38 mm) offset wheels. About as close as evening out the tracking of the front & rear wheels as I found.

Others have done the same size tire all the way around but used thier OEM wheels despite being different offset front vs rear. 28x10-14 if I recall correctly. You won't need spacers, which also means you won't be placing added stress on your setup, although that is really a non-issue with the average, moderatley upgraded Pioneer 1000. You won't be able to rotate your tires AND you would need to carry two spares because you can't use a wider OEM rear wheel on the front. If you go this route, you could carry a front only as a spare to use on any corner, knowing it's just a temporary solution if used on the rear, intended to get you to either a rear width spare or to a place where you can swap put the damaged rear tire on the rear OEM wheel. Folks sometimes pick up a steel 12" wheel from the base model Pioneer for this purpose.

Good luck with your continued addiction! Maybe start a build thread so we can see how things are coming along. Be sure to drop a few pics of your ride, too!

Last edited:
C

cjacco

Jan 8, 2021
NJ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Michigan.

Yeah, hundreds on here have done this, its peppered in the search up top Including myself in some form or another. Dont worry about 29’s an/or spacers having to upgrade axels. Only when u do arms and a usless IMO bracket lift will u have to do that.

Now that we helped u a bit, you need to help us. You have 2 posts since joining 21’ and no pics of your rig. You se its kinda a a requirement.
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
Thanks appreciate the guidance! Just drove from NJ to WV and tore apart Hatfield McCoy. Was an awesome trip!

PXL 20230803 131448550 PXL 20230803 131441080 PXL 20230803 131431206

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
considering the same as above...
looking for comments also regarding best 15 inch rims for the P1K-5 and the pros/cons of going to 15s?
and my old one had beadlocks, which worked well. Whats the general consensus on beadlocks?

Reactions: Robobrainiac
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
looking for comments also regarding best 15 inch rims for the P1K-5 and the pros/cons of going to 15s?
and my old one had beadlocks, which worked well. Whats the general consensus on beadlocks?
15" wheels give you a much bigger choice in pretty much any kind of tire selection. Beadlocks are nice especially if you intend on running low PSI.....anything in the low single digits (rock crawling scenarios and such) FWIW I've ran as low as 8 or 9 PSI on my stock wheels and 29" tires and haven't had a problem...but I don't really rock crawl much.

Good luck 👍

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Beadlocks CAN be problematic (leaking) if not combined with the right tire. Ask me how I know. 😒

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I use 14" beadlocks on the trails with no issues.
I use 15" wheels with LT tires for at home. Both setups work well for me in my intended purposes.

I purchased my 14 beadlocks because of an amazing deal I couldn't pass up.

I purchased the 15s specifically so I could use DOT LT truck tires for a hopeful very long tread life.

15s give you a huge selection of DOT truck tires. They seem to give you more of a selection of UTV tires.

14s (or any smaller wheel since a pioneer can technically run a 12) give you more sidewall which "cushions" the ride and allows more rock crawl "tire forming/grabbing" on ledges.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!