16 1000-5 dead battery problems

H

HondaTech

It was an improvement campaign,not a recall,that is no longer utilized. I'm not positive but I think it sprays more oil on the clutch discs to keep them cool and eliminate chattering when taking off. @HondaTech knows a lot more about them than I do.

The clutch update parts are still available, but Honda will no longer pay for it.

There is a way to I.D the update from the outside, there's a thread on here somewhere with the pictures.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried the relearn on the clutch every way I can think of driving mile or so stopping and trying again but the AT/MT light never go away. Sense the dead battery it takes off really slow in high or low and reverse the slip’s in 3rd and 5th so it’s slipping in 1st 3rd and 5th. Dealer said it could be bad clutch pack or re-program

H

HondaTech

I have tried the relearn on the clutch every way I can think of driving mile or so stopping and trying again but the AT/MT light never go away. Sense the dead battery it takes off really slow in high or low and reverse the slip’s in 3rd and 5th so it’s slipping in 1st 3rd and 5th. Dealer said it could be bad clutch pack or re-program

If the clutch is slipping, then it needs replaced, that would explain why the relearn won't take.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s what the dealer said also sense I only drove it a short drive home with very low voltage I should have let it run for a while to charge up the battery before driving so it was in like a shaky mode witch was it trying to drive with not enough voltage. I know that now. The dealer said they may be able reprogram it. Did not tell me what a clutch pack would cost to replace. Also they looked up my serial number and they said there was no recall for clutch cover or screen or heat fix on my 2016 1000-5 with 59 hours and 600 miles the family I bought it from said he did take it in for a recall but the dealer didn’t tell me what was fixed. They never had it in water or mud and neither have I yet I need to take to my hunting club. Thanks for the input and the threads I’ve been reading it sure has been helpful and now I know what to talk about to the dealer.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That’s what the dealer said also sense I only drove it a short drive home with very low voltage I should have let it run for a while to charge up the battery before driving so it was in like a shaky mode witch was it trying to drive with not enough voltage. I know that now. The dealer said they may be able reprogram it. Did not tell me what a clutch pack would cost to replace. Also they looked up my serial number and they said there was no recall for clutch cover or screen or heat fix on my 2016 1000-5 with 59 hours and 600 miles the family I bought it from said he did take it in for a recall but the dealer didn’t tell me what was fixed. They never had it in water or mud and neither have I yet I need to take to my hunting club. Thanks for the input and the threads I’ve been reading it sure has been helpful and now I know what to talk about to the dealer.
The clutch cover was not a recall. It was a product improvement campaign. If it wasn't done, then you would have to pay for it now. Clutch cover cost over $200 and the clutch pack is over $300 for parts, ballpark figure.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks for all the useful info and I will update y’all as soon as I find out more. Also in one post I made was the 50amp fuse from O’Rallys fit the Honda but I also went to Advanced to buy a spare and when I compared it with the old one it was too long to fit in the slot. So if anyone buys one for a spare check it or you may be dealing with that far off the trail.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!