16 1000-5 dead battery problems

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a dead battery about a mile from home. Jumped it with jump box. It went into a shake mode on way home I replaced the battery and the 50 amp fuse was blown replaced it with one from Orallys ( note the ones they sell at advanced auto are too long. Check before buying a spare) now it want engage the rear end tried pulling it forward and backwards 2 wheel or four wheel. Tried to relearn. The MT/AT light are on and P is on and never goes to - during relearn. Ask dealer and they said bring it in. Any ideas to try would help. Thanks

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Uh oh! First post Since Joining in just over a year! :eek: Congrats And welcome to the greatest forum on earth!
As we say..
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
of your rig of corse.

Have you tried the search up top For your issue First? Theres a few threads on weird sh!t like this. After that Id disconnect the battery and reset the system, check all your grounds and try again.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yesterday I put a new battery in from Honda store 160$ as they said the Mighty max battery 50$ was not putting out enough amps had no battery in it for 2 hours hooked up new battery same problem but now I did get it moving but it took lot’s of gas to get it to move it’s shifting crazy. Ran it through all the gears and tried to relearn 6 times during my run’s. The process goes great but after running it for a minute shut off then on the P is on but AT/MT lights stay on. Also the maintenance wrench is on and a 49 was on then 50 now 51 is showing. The buggy ran great before the dead battery and 50 amp fuse blown. It’s never been in water over 1 ft deep.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uh oh! First post Since Joining in just over a year! :eek: Congrats And welcome to the greatest forum on earth!
As we say..
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
of your rig of corse.

Have you tried the search up top For your issue First? Theres a few threads on weird sh!t like this. After that Id disconnect the battery and reset the system, check all your grounds and try again.
Thanks Remington I tried looking but no luck yet. I ordered a manual pdf rather had a book for it but at a glance I didn’t find a list of codes and how to read them on the dash .

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks Remington I tried looking but no luck yet. I ordered a manual pdf rather had a book for it but at a glance I didn’t find a list of codes and how to read them on the dash .
if u have a code, the drive indicator on the dash will display the code. If it just says P D N R or L then there is no code at the present time

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks that is real helpful. I don’t know why it blew the 50 amp fuse after I jumped it but I replaced it and it hasn’t blown sense. I still have the MT/AT light on. I’ve tried every way I know I let it warm up for 20 minutes tried 5 times to relearn it then driving around and trying all the gears and all the 4x4 and 2WD for around a mile with the Tran shifting crazy then tried 5 more at different speeds. Anybody have any idea’s ? I really need it for hunting season and the dealer said it could be four weeks before they could get it in then have to order parts if needed $$$

• Wow
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
long shot, take leads off of battery and short together, supposed to possibly reset ECM?

H

HondaTech

Check ground next to starter motor on engine, put a socket or wrench on it. It could feel tight with your hand, but not be tight enough or stripped.

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok thanks that is real helpful. I don’t know why it blew the 50 amp fuse after I jumped it but I replaced it and it hasn’t blown sense. I still have the MT/AT light on. I’ve tried every way I know I let it warm up for 20 minutes tried 5 times to relearn it then driving around and trying all the gears and all the 4x4 and 2WD for around a mile with the Tran shifting crazy then tried 5 more at different speeds. Anybody have any idea’s ? I really need it for hunting season and the dealer said it could be four weeks before they could get it in then have to order parts if needed $$$
I tried to do the relearn multiple times on @Ohio4x4 pioneer and it wouldn't take. It was running for 10 or 15 minutes and reading 2 bars on the temperature gauge. I gave it a little throttle for few minutes and tried it again. The relearn worked that time. Long shot but try it.

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks I’ll try that. Sorry I haven’t replayed lately but I’ve been taking my wife and daughter to the beach everyday they paddle board and finding shark teeth and running back to grab rods when they get a fish on while I throw plugs and jigs. Been real good with trout reds and flounder. Last week before we hang up the rods and grab the bows and guns. So that’s where I really need my Honda it ran perfect before the dead battery and 50 amp and even the dealer said it would weeks before they could get it in then order any parts. So I’ll try anything y’all can think of and really do appreciate your suggestions. I’ll post anything I find.

Reactions: CID
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if you may have blown that fuse by hooking up your jumper pack backward?

I don't know much about that 50 amp fuse blown and its effects, but maybe someone can chime in here.

My concern is that if the jumper werre hooked up backward, there could have been ECM damage. Don't necessarily need to go there right away, but wanted to get it out there.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does your 2016 have the clutch cover update?
Clutch cover looks like this when updated.
IMG 0507

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if you may have blown that fuse by hooking up your jumper pack backward?

I don't know much about that 50 amp fuse blown and its effects, but maybe someone can chime in here.

My concern is that if the jumper werre hooked up backward, there could have been ECM damage. Don't necessarily need to go there right away, but wanted to get it out there.

I guess some of the lithium battery jump starters may be "dumb", though I think a lot of them have "reverse polarity protection" and will not turn on and attempt to charge the vehicle battery unless connected properly.

Reactions: CID and P1K5Dave
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what do you make of the blown 50 amp fuse? Will the P1000 run with this fuse blown? I don't know...

Maybe there's something wrong in the wiring of the stereo that apparently drains the battery (?)

S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My stereo was turning it self on and it drained my battery after not driving for a week, I had charged the day before not knowing where the drain was. I drove it about a mile to our boat ramp and hung out there for about a hour and my radio had turned it self on with no volume on and that’s what killed my battery. I installed a switch on it now. And the jumper does have polarity protection. But thanks for the thoughts. I’ll try anything y’all can think of. Thanks

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ll check the cover tomorrow. Is this cover a recall and what does do to improve the transmission?
It was an improvement campaign,not a recall,that is no longer utilized. I'm not positive but I think it sprays more oil on the clutch discs to keep them cool and eliminate chattering when taking off. @HondaTech knows a lot more about them than I do.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!