2018 1000-5 drops a cylinder at idle.

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok...is it possible to unplug the stator without unplugging the ckp? I suspect not, but if you can, I wonder how it would run? The goal being to bridge any possible circuits that might be shorted without providing charging voltage.

I know you ran it with a charger and it seemed ok, so that's probably not it, but I assume the regulator was disconnected for that.
Yes it's a separate 2 pin plug for the ckp and a 3 pin for the stator that plugs into the regulator. Stator harness is just those 5 wires and only about 18 inches long. Seems to be same result weather I unplug the stator from regulator or the charge side of regulator from vehicle harness. That's what has me so damn confused and was thinking ac voltage leaking into main harness from regulator. But replacing made no difference so I'm spinning circles. I've moved on for now and will continue to dwell on possibilities in the meantime.

M

MVP2017

Jul 5, 2017
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it's a separate 2 pin plug for the ckp and a 3 pin for the stator that plugs into the regulator. Stator harness is just those 5 wires and only about 18 inches long. Seems to be same result weather I unplug the stator from regulator or the charge side of regulator from vehicle harness. That's what has me so damn confused and was thinking ac voltage leaking into main harness from regulator. But replacing made no difference so I'm spinning circles. I've moved on for now and will continue to dwell on possibilities in the meantime.
Re-learn on the clutch? Water in the intake tube?

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Re-learn on the clutch? Water in the intake tube?
Already relearning clutch twice and intake tube is dry, I've fought that one on a few machines. This does it even with air box off so I can get all the wiring to wiggle an bend while running

Reactions: Backwoods
I

imkewls

Sep 9, 2022
Alva, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I experienced something similar to this on a Polaris Ranger. Long story short the crank was ever so slightly out of round and the crank position sensor wasn't always getting triggered. As a second means of troubleshooting I grinded some (a very tiny amount) of the plastic off of the crank sensor so it would sit lower and be closer to crank. It then ran without any issues at all, so I had narrowed the problem down and it needed a rebuild. It took me a good while to figure it out though included swapping just about every electrical part with known goods before I started looking for unlikely solutions.

Back to your issue with unplugging the stator... Perhaps removing the load from the stator causes the crank to sit differently and the crank sensor is getting all of its pulses that it would miss when under that load... Just a thought.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That may be something worth looking at. Off the wall odd ball stuff like that is about what I'm down to with this thing
Don't suppose you have a lab scope?

Scoping the pulse from CKP would show something like that pretty quickly.

Also, did you see my suggestion about the battery?

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don't suppose you have a lab scope?

Scoping the pulse from CKP would show something like that pretty quickly.

Also, did you see my suggestion about the battery?
Yes I ran on separate battery with accessories unhooked from battery. Same thing. An yes we have access to a scope. That is next on my list is to scope the ckp. We already scoped both injector signals a few days ago. I need to look at specs and see how high ckp goes cause I don't wanna fry my other tech snap on s an tool that has the scope built in it. That is why I did peak voltage test on coils instead of scoping. We don't have a high voltage shunt for it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!