2018 1000-5 drops a cylinder at idle.

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Long story short I have done just about everything like dakotadrone has with the same symptoms except when switching the injector wires I was able to make the misfire transfer cylinders so I double checked my wires again going from the ECM to my injector wires, ohm tested, unwrapped loom, did a pull test, ohm wiggle test etc… and finally decided that it had to be coming from the ECM. Keep in mind I am the type of mechanic that tries to absolutely eliminate throwing ECM’s at things, so it’s my last resort but I put a new ECM in and everything runs just fine, just thought I would share that with everyone, hopefully it helps cause I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out!
Good for you not just throwing parts at it! Too many are just concerned about going fast, not doing it correctly. I tried swapping this PCM into a known good machine right away as they are known for screwing up the idle mapping for fuel injection if jump started from a running car or something like that with too much amperage. Also tried putting known good in this machine. Have a wire harness on order now for it. Honda engineering and techline says it's a voltage anomaly 😆. I did find another machine to swap the fan control module out of and made difference either.

Reactions: ChadD
R

Red101

Jul 9, 2024
Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oppps sorry I guess Honda calls it a PGM-FI Unit. That’s what I think happened to this one with a jump start. Well I appreciate all the info you have posted cause it gave me some different ideas on how to solve the issue other than the obvious common fixes. Unplugging the regulator rectifier was the weirdest to me but since the engine load is taken away it can run flawlessly. Sorry to get off the subject but do they fill the regulator/rectifiers with oil? Both my 2016 1000-5 and the 2018 1000-5 I’m working on have oil residue in and on the plug for it?

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Oppps sorry I guess Honda calls it a PGM-FI Unit. That’s what I think happened to this one with a jump start. Well I appreciate all the info you have posted cause it gave me some different ideas on how to solve the issue other than the obvious common fixes. Unplugging the regulator rectifier was the weirdest to me but since the engine load is taken away it can run flawlessly. Sorry to get off the subject but do they fill the regulator/rectifiers with oil? Both my 2016 1000-5 and the 2018 1000-5 I’m working on have oil residue in and on the plug for it?

The oil is wicking up the harness into the connector

It's been an issue in the past

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Like Hello_Darkness said, the oil is traveling inside the wire insulation from stator up to the plug. They should be dry and sealed. In theory as long as the oil doesn't fill up enough in the plug to short the wires together it shouldn't cause an issue. BMW actually says residue is normal but if you disconnect the stator plug and oil runs out of it, it should be replaced. Was the weirdest thing to me when I first had it happen on a bike.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Long story short I have done just about everything like dakotadrone has with the same symptoms except when switching the injector wires I was able to make the misfire transfer cylinders so I double checked my wires again going from the ECM to my injector wires, ohm tested, unwrapped loom, did a pull test, ohm wiggle test etc… and finally decided that it had to be coming from the ECM. Keep in mind I am the type of mechanic that tries to absolutely eliminate throwing ECM’s at things, so it’s my last resort but I put a new ECM in and everything runs just fine, just thought I would share that with everyone, hopefully it helps cause I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out!
On what rig do u have?

Welcome from Michigan BTW

R

Red101

Jul 9, 2024
Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like Hello_Darkness said, the oil is traveling inside the wire insulation from stator up to the plug. They should be dry and sealed. In theory as long as the oil doesn't fill up enough in the plug to short the wires together it shouldn't cause an issue. BMW actually says residue is normal but if you disconnect the stator plug and oil runs out of it, it should be replaced. Was the weirdest thing to me when I first had it happen on a bike.
Interesting, I had in mind since I had it in the stator plug that it may be like a transformer and filled with oil, but I guess I need to replace it. Remington I am working on a 2018 1000-5, but I own a 2016 1000-5