P1000 185 miles on 100-5, sudden SIGNIFICANT loss of power and rough idle, cuts out often.

N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 2019 pioneer 1000-5 about 15 months ago. As you'd expect, it hasn't given me any issues. Now, at only 185 miles, the machine starts hard, idles rough, and cuts out when under load. If I do manage to get it driving forward, it has very little power and on a slight incline will die off. The warranty is up. The machine is barely broken in, and I'm lost and saddened that it proved to be so unreliable. My confidence in the machine is shattered.

*This problem came on very suddenly.

*When there is no load, in park or in Neutral, the engine will rev up to redline, then will continue to idle rough once throttle is let up.

*I have checked the air duct that serves combustion air to the engine, it is clear for full length of machine.

*The air filter looks like new.

*I replaced the premium fuel with new premium fuel.

*I cycled a bottle of Seafoam direct into the intake of the engine

*No modifications have been done to the machine other than a pair of LED lights which have been in place for over a year.

This machine has had light use, no trail riding at all. We use it for collecting firewood and for hunting on a small parcel of land.

I'm a DIY repair, fix it myself kind of guy. I have strong mechanical inclination, but I don't know these machines at all. I really could use some advice.

Has anyone seen this happen on these machines before?

Please help. A gallon of pure Wisconsin maple syrup will be on its way to the door of anyone who helps pinpoint the problem.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know its simple, but battery connections tight?

What about the other grounds?
Any ideas are good ones right now. I will check the battery. However, does this hypothesis apply to an engine that recs up fine but struggles under a load? I truly don't know. Other than at the battery, what other ground connections should I look for?

As far as spark plugs, I didn't think of that. Anything is possible, but it there much of a chance the plugs with 185 miles might actually be fatigued? Any oem Honda plugs the best or are there better suggestions?

Reactions: Smitty335
N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ground at the battery seems right. New plugs are in. There is no improvement so far. Let me know if there's anything else to look at folks!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would look at the IACV on top of the throttle body, its job is to manage throttle like an auto choke. It could cause high idle sistuation.
Also, the wires are known to break inside the insulation. but it's usually on a fairly used machine.

Same with the injector wires. They are known to break inside the insulation.
Test the wires at idle by pushing them one way and then the other to see if the idle pattern changes.

advertisement
N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are you located in WI? I'm in Oshkosh.

Is the exhaust plugged?

Is the battery fully charged? Did you try to crank it with a low battery? It may have fouled the plugs
Hi Todd! We are very close by! I live in Elkhart Lake, WI.

I did pull the spark arrestor out of the muffler, everything is clear there. My first thing I checked was the intake air and the exhaust because been so sometimes find mouse nests in the garage.

I never tested the strength of the battery, but it seems very strong when it starts. I will take the battery out tonight and charge it though...

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like a weak fuel pump to me, it’ll probably get to the point it has an irratic idle and dies when you touch the gas or just dies on its own while idling.

N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all. I thought I'd check in and report the fix.

The machine continued to run worse and worse. I had the battery load tested; it was fine. I took the sparkplugs out, cleaned them, and reinstalled. Only got worse.

Eventually, the machine just died and would not start again. I then took one spark plugs out and, in darkness, looked for visible spark. Nothing, no spark.

It was the spark plugs. 185 miles on these expensive plugs. Must be because of all the short trips around our property.

These special plugs can't be brought back to life by cleaning like the old style plugs. Keep two spares with you, they are not locally available at auto parts stores or anywhere else.

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The machine continued to run worse and worse. I had the battery load tested; it was fine. I took the sparkplugs out, cleaned them, and reinstalled. Only got worse.

Eventually, the machine just died and would not start again. I then took one spark plugs out and, in darkness, looked for visible spark. Nothing, no spark.

It was the spark plugs. 185 miles on these expensive plugs. Must be because of all the short trips around our property.

These special plugs can't be brought back to life by cleaning like the old style plugs. Keep two spares with you, they are not locally available at auto parts stores or anywhere else.
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear you found the issue, as a new owner I am not looking forward to any mechanical issues but the more I can read about them, the more I am able to diagnose if it happens to mine. Thanks and ride safe!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

Glad you found it, and more importantly followed up....

Sounds like an opportunity to take the rig on some drives?

Not sure how hard it is in WI, but maybe it makes sense to license your rig and stretch it’s legs on some back roads from time to time?

IXInaplesIXI

IXInaplesIXI

Dec 2, 2020
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Glad to hear you found the fix. Two questions, were the plugs that went bad the factory plugs? And did you replace the plugs with what Honda recommended or did you go with a different plug?

J

jasonmjay

Aug 3, 2022
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having the same issue as original poster, and machine gets similar use..........really hope its just the spark plugs, thanks for all the info.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm having the same issue as original poster,
This thread hasnt had any activity in almost a year. I would make a friendly suggestion if your having an issue still with your Rig, to start a new thread so It can be addressed.

And Welcome to the club from the lower 48. seen u just joined today.
Make sure to do an Intro thread and give info about your machine And pics! Most importantly pics! did I say we like pics? 😂
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!