1st time riding Michigan's UP.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I've been to copper harbor to ride mountain bikes several times but never on an atv/UTV. Beautiful scenery and plenty of great riding. Here's some of day 1.
2aed2c8cea4c1a45482b99b5bffb20f4A4600f9bd05842bbf04736e5c69f10b3826fc1e8935b11f0f23d6f2155acb84842ff7c561b1d4e53b758a85ee9a6128726b1f647d981e95ddb5fd184cb9a70517a31a730bdc7acd7318175957b973d04

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Rode to the tip of the peninsula last night and camped out on the rocky shorline. First time camping from an ATV/UTV and it was awesome. Heavy thunderstorms and wind made it interesting but still an awesome experience.
1abcb55f6c55a0b4b2f69f198e19840e
8711deaa3dd9ad0c334e3c3a4f359505
1b5dce21d8d226adf9a707bfff150b9c
Ef967e8296934331213e30792aabf391
636e1b76cb35dcb995bea6fff4fe34e1

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn

Jan 12, 2018
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m fortunate to live in the Upper Peninsula. WE were just up in Houghton 2 days ago so my son could visit MTU. They offered him a basketball scholarship. Lots of damage up there from the floods!

There’s a place in Copper Harbor call Estevant Pines (not sure of spelling). It is a virgin white Pine stand. It would be a great ride on the Honda!

Enjoy Gods Country!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
After sitting back and looking at many of the pictures we took, I have to say that riding in the UP is going to be routine trip. There is no other way to describe it than just beautiful. And there are so many awesome trails to enjoy.
Speaking of enjoying the trails... I was a little apprehensive about going due to the rain in the forecast the week leading up to the trip. But, from now on, I will plan to go when it rains. Very little dust and the gray skies made for some awesome pictures. I can't wait to get back up there. Below are a couple more pictures from our last day of riding.

One of the trails we took dropped us at Hoar Lake. Seemingly untouched and very clean.
IMG 20180630 134122670

One of the mud holes along the trails. This is my buddy's 2017 Foreman. He would have been fine with different tires.
IMG 20180630 145934676 HDR

Looking out at Lake Superior.
IMG 20180630 150957428 HDR

It had just finished raining and there was a slight fog in the trees. Again, the scenery was incredible.

IMG 20180630 125432456 HDR

We rode just over 120 miles in two days. Not a ton of miles but not bad when you factor in some mountain biking, camping, site seeing etc... There is still so much more to see and I wish I could go back up this weekend and explore more. But that adventure will have to wait a bit. Unfortunately, on the way back to out to our campsite, I took a turn a little too tight and caught a large rock with the passenger front and rear tires. Then, on the drivers side, I caught a rut and over she went. Before landing on the drivers side, I hit a tree with the roll cage (took all the impact) and then bounced back. There was no shenanigans leading up to this, no recklessness, just an accident that probably could have been prevented by paying a bit more attention to the trail and less to the scenery around me.
What I learned from this:
  • ALWAYS wear a helmet. I wasn't going more than 15 miles per hour and still had a good amount of damage to the p500 as well as a cracked helmet, a couple of cuts on my face, a large bruise on my knee and an ugly bruise on my elbow.
  • I will always wear a seat belt: It kept me in my place. This could have been a lot worse.
  • New helmet after it takes a hit: I could have used a couple of stitches even with wearing a full faced helmet. I will never skimp on a helmet for me or the ones I love.
  • I won't mess with the ROPS... ever. From the damage this thing took, it is clear that it did what it was supposed to do. Yes, it crumpled but it also took the impact, protected me, and I was able to walk away. If I ever feel as if I do something to compromise the integrity of the ROPS, I will replace it.
  • And no matter how safe you try to be, it only takes a second or two.

I'm sure I will have a few more lessons once I see what my rates go up to on my insurance. I had comprehensive and collision with a $500 deductible through Progressive. They have been great through the claims process but we will see how the rest comes out. The P500 is at my local dealer and they are going to tear it down tomorrow and Wednesday so I should know Thursday whether or not they will total it out. I'm hoping that the frame is fine and I get it back soon.
Below are a couple of pictures of the aftermath. I don't have too many pictures as I was a bit dazed and very embarrassed. When I brought it to the dealer it felt like "the walk of shame." I just figured these instances are important to share as a reminder to respect your ride and keep it safe...

First picture after the wreck. If you zoom in, you will see right where the passenger side of the ROPS hit the tree. I had just cleaned up my face and my buddy snapped the pic right after asking if I was okay again. My response was a mumbled "I hope so." I was still pretty dazed in this pic.

IMG 20180630 161014503 HDR

The rest are pics of the damage. All I can say is "thank you Honda."
IMG 20180630 172501209 HDR
IMG 20180630 172546441 HDR
IMG 20180630 172515722 HDR

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Wow, that's a hell of a hit, glad you walked away with minor scuffs.
As for your P5.....I'm betting it's totalled, insurance companies down mess around when it comes to the safety stuff.....

D

Deleted member 3748

That looks like an awesome trip, and camping on the trail looked amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I'm fairly certain you compromised the integrity of the ROPS. From reading your posts, you rolled it and went horizontal into the tree? I'm glad you walked away from that mostly intact.

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Walk of shame?

I don't know about that. At a dealership it is far more common to see the "underutilization" of these amazing modern machines. You just delivered them a FULLY utilized ADVenture machine!

I'm relieved to hear you are OK. And since you are, I hope I can get away with a big high-5. That's a wicked thrashing of your woods weapon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn

Jan 12, 2018
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your post makes me want to go back there!
Where did you take off from?
We’re the trails well marked?
Route?

Congrats on a great trip. A buddy of work just spent 5 days up in the Northern UP. I think he went from Watersmeet to Copper Harbor to Baraga.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Your post makes me want to go back there!
Where did you take off from?
We’re the trails well marked?
Route?

Congrats on a great trip. A buddy of work just spent 5 days up in the Northern UP. I think he went from Watersmeet to Copper Harbor to Baraga.

I'm trying to get as detailed of information as I can but I didn't bring my GPS with me to work and that has all my maps etc... stored on it. I have some information on Basecamp so I will see if I can at least get you some of the info.

• We reserved a campsite at Lake Fanny Hooey Resort for the weekend. In addition to the ATV's, we brought our Mountain Bikes. We set up a tent and parked the truck there.
  • From the resort, we went out to Rt 41 and headed east until it turns to Gravel. There is a wide gravel road that runs from where 41 ends and loops toward the east side of the peninsula and then comes back down. (Labeled 134) According to the map I'm looking at, it is the "DNR" Designated - Keweenaw ATV Club sponsored route. Trucks, jeeps, cars etc... can go down here and it is the fast route to get toward the tip of the peninsula. You can pick up the tighter (more fun) trails that take you to Lake Superior etc... from there. OR... you can take that gravel road until you come to a spot where it branches off toward Horseshoe Harbor. If you go that way, you will notice the trail start to get more narrow and will notice a couple of other wide gravel roads that you can take. If you keep following that main gravel trail, you will come to a bit of a rocky climb. No problem for an ATV/SxS but most pickups and SUV's shouldn't try it. (I did it in my Nissan Frontier last year but my F150 would never make it)
  • Once you get past this little rock section, the trail becomes a lot more narrow and you start to get into some small water holes and mud and pretty awesome scenery.
  • You will start to see ATV side trails that are not necessarily marked on the map but they are on the GPS maps that I got from VV mapping. We spent our riding time exploring these trails and then utilizing the GPS to get us back to where we wanted to be. Or, we would look at the route on the GPS and see if it led to anywhere of interest.
  • There are a lot of trails/logging roads that take you in a bunch of different directions. Some of them take you to really cool areas and others lead to dead ends. But I can honestly say that most of the riding (except for the gravel roads) was good.
With all of that said, my favorite thing to do on the ATV's SxS's is explore. I love new areas and I like when those areas have challenges I need to get past in order to venture on. And, I like my destinations to be scenery rather than a bar or something like that. So this trip was perfect for me. But I have a feeling it would annoy the other group of people I ride with who are snowmobile fanatics that own SxS's for something to do in the off season. Much of the riding I do with them is in Wisconsin and most of our destinations are the different bars and the goal is to get from one to other in the fastest time possible. That is how the UP differs from the other type of trail riding I have done in Wisconsin and why I will always choose the UP when given the choice.

Where the trails well marked? Not really. The ATV/multipurpose trails were well marked but that was a lot of gravel riding. The ATV only and forest road trails were not really marked at all. To get the most of this experience, I would recommend having a GPS with the ATV trail maps loaded or go with a local.

Let me know if you have any more questions. (while it's still fresh in my mind)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!