2" or 3", Auto Latch or H-style harness?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thinking about giving a harness a go for Take Over this year. Looking at the DragonFire 4pt. Trying to decide which version to go with and wanted to see if anyone had any prior experience and what they liked or didn't like. I've heard some say that harnesses are a PITA, but after MOM last Fall, I am tired of getting tossed around when going hard in the paint. So, I'm going to give it a try. Plan is to rig up some sort of harness bar between the headrests:

20210513 162431

I'm leaning towards the 3" with Automotive style latch. Seems easier to take on/off and I imagine 3" would be a bit more comfy than 2". I only worry that the 3" might take up too much space and be kind of clumsy to use compared to the 2". Any advantage to the H-style latches? It's hard to get an idea of how they work in the photos I can find online, but they also seem clumsy compared to the auto-style latch.

Thoughts?

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I had Simpson D3 3" in my first Talon and I'm putting same ones just 2" in this one. 3" to me just seem to bulky. I like the way they latch too.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For a harness bar, I used this one. I'm pretty sure they make them in batches, so not sure about current availability. The owner is great and there was an issue with the powder coating from his vendor. He ended up getting me a new one and sent it next day air. No way he made any money on the deal. It wasn't his fault, but he made it right. Highly recommend!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
For a harness bar, I used this one. I'm pretty sure they make them in batches, so not sure about current availability. The owner is great and there was an issue with the powder coating from his vendor. He ended up getting me a new one and sent it next day air. No way he made any money on the deal. It wasn't his fault, but he made it right. Highly recommend!

p520 😢

Reactions: CMB and Backwoods
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Would suggest retractable's or not doing them at all in that machine.
Why retractable? They almost look like they would be more of a pain to put on. Or is it just nicer to have them retract out of the way.

I looked briefly online for retractable s and they seem a bit ridiculous in price.

I imagine I will only run these during hardcore riding (mainly when I'm around you guys and your bad influence...). The rest of the year I will probably remove them and run the 3pt.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why retractable? They almost look like they would be more of a pain to put on. Or is it just nicer to have them retract out of the way.

I looked briefly online for retractable s and they seem a bit ridiculous in price.

I imagine I will only run these during hardcore riding (mainly when I'm around you guys and your bad influence...). The rest of the year I will probably remove them and run the 3pt.

Retractable would just be nice to have for freedom of movement when using the shoulder straps. X3 takeoffs are what a lot of people use apparently. I get mine set and just loosen the shoulder straps and slip those off until it gets crazy, like at the TO. Lol. I have the Dragon Fires and I find I like the lap belt alone better than the OEM 3 pt. Feels like your much more secure in the seat.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah, they're just clumsy and all over the place in a small cab like the P5. I bought some and put them in for a few rides and thought they sucked. They did their job, held you in really well, too good in fact. You can't move with them on, not even to reach the dash. Found myself only using the lap belt portion most of the time. Sold them and put the stockers back in.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, they're just clumsy and all over the place in a small cab like the P5. I bought some and put them in for a few rides and thought they sucked. They did their job, held you in really well, too good in fact. You can't move with them on, not even to reach the dash. Found myself only using the lap belt portion most of the time. Sold them and put the stockers back in.
Yup, that's where the retractable would help. Reach the dash, grab your beer, change the tunes etc.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Hmmm. Didn't consider them being too tight.

Floppy Goat + reachable beer > Secure Goat + unreachable beer ?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I left the stock lap belt in place and added the Simpson D3 5 pt. over the top, it takes about a minute to switch between whichever I want for the day. I use the lap belt 90% of the time but when I’m riding with @Lil_Steve :oops: the security of the 5 pt. Is moar better. :eek:

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I kept my OE belt intact as well.

Reactions: CID
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the setup I used to keep the OE belts intact. I added the quick releases onbthe lower end of the shoulder harnesses. I keep them tucked behind the head rest when not in use.

BTW @The Green Goat, in case you are not aware, the fasteners for the seat belts are SAE and not metric. I learned the hard way on that. Must be a Fed DOT thing.Ca4d411f1472fd52ee063052d55777f30ea8e7ad3b3ce947b2b520495ebec0e2

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Here is the setup I used to keep the OE belts intact. I added the quick releases onbthe lower end of the shoulder harnesses. I keep them tucked behind the head rest when not in use.

BTW @The Green Goat, in case you are not aware, the fasteners for the seat belts are SAE and not metric. I learned the hard way on that. Must be a Fed DOT thing.View attachment 332299View attachment 332300

Not a bad idea!

Reactions: Smitty335 and CMB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!