BOX1

BRed 2012 Tranny won't move

B

BMC

Aug 27, 2020
wi
Ownership

1. Big Red
My Big Red does not move. The A/T solenoid does not click. The solenoid has 5.7 ohms and when unplugged I have 11.87vdc as soon as I plug in the solenoid my voltage goes to 0. I get the same results at the PCM. If I put 12.3vdc to the solenoid it will click. I tried a different solenoid with the same results. Are there any other tests I can do before I have to buy a new PCM. I hate to spend that much money unless I am positive it is bad. Would it Hurt anything if I remove the 2 wires from the PCM and put 12vdc to the solenoid to see if it would move? Thanks for the help. Brian

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@HondaTech maybe you can help?

H

HondaTech

These machines are heavily dependent on oil pressure to operate properly. Verifying proper oil pressure at the trans port and first clutch would be my first step. If your getting trans pressure but not at the first clutch then there's a troubleshooting chart to consult.

Did the unit have any symptoms before it stopped moving or was it sudden?

Reactions: Adam490 and 906UP
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Test the solenoid plugged in. When you turn the key on, does it pulse to battery voltage then go down? My perfectly functional 2020 pioneer does.

I thought something was wrong here, going by my 2014 service manual, which simply says to check for voltage.
Interestingly enough, I found a PDF newer FSM, and this step has been removed. I'm guessing to clarify some confusion when the voltage drops.

On the other side of the coin, mine does click at key on, though it's hard to tell it's actually that one clicking.

B

BMC

Aug 27, 2020
wi
Ownership

1. Big Red
I just bought it so I don't know the history of what happened to it. I thought that the solenoid opened the passage to let oil to the clutches. I have not checked the oil psi because the solenoid is not working. If I leave the solenoid plugged in I don't have any voltage coming out of the PCM. It's acting like a short but I don't have any continuity between the two wires for the solenoid. I have tested it at the plug on the solenoid and on the PCM with the same results. If I leave the solenoid unplugged I have 11.87vdc I don't think it is pulsing because my meter is not jumping around. I also charged the battery thinking it needed at least 12 volts but that didn't make a difference. The machine starts and runs good just doesn't move. No codes flashing either. I also checked the power and the 3 ground wires going into the PCM and I did not lose power or ground when I plugged in the solenoid.

Last edited: