BOX1

P700 2014 700-4 Won't Idle

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys, I need some help. I bought a loaded used 700-4 with 114 miles on it in October of last year. From the day I picked it up, I've always had to give it some throttle to get it to start. Fast forward to yesterday... I have 237 miles on it now and started it (giving it half a pedal) and she started right up, but as soon as I get off the peddle, it dies. I stared it again and went for about a 15 minute ride (hoping it needed to warm up or something) and the same thing, come to a stop and it shuts off. Any Ideas?? Thanks in advance!

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Some times when the valves are out of adjustment, it wont idle and takes gas peddle to start. Just something I dealt with in the past.

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
Its had a few tanks of gas through it (with fuel injector cleaner)since I've got it, & a new plug, oil change and coolant change as soon as I got it.
I hope its as simple as the valves

Reactions: trigger
Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
Some times when the valves are out of adjustment, it wont idle and takes gas peddle to start. Just something I dealt with in the past.
I haven't had them adjusted. Could they be that far out with so few miles on it?

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
No, if they started out correct, but it sounds like they weren't adjusted properly before you took possession of the machine. You should never have had to give it gas to start it. You may have some other problem, but I've had the same starting and idling issue and it was the valves were too tight.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It could also be the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).

Just for s***s and giggles, disconnect the battery for a bit.

Reactions: 70Bones
H

hydrantman

I also have a 2014 with little miles on it and my was doing the same thing finally it wouldn't start at all, took it in to the shop and find out it just needed new plugs!

Reactions: swsebek
Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
No, if they started out correct, but it sounds like they weren't adjusted properly before you took possession of the machine. You should never have had to give it gas to start it. You may have some other problem, but I've had the same starting and idling issue and it was the valves were too tight.
I got ya. This is where I'll start

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
I also have a 2014 with little miles on it and my was doing the same thing finally it wouldn't start at all, took it in to the shop and find out it just needed new plugs!
Tried that already lol

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
It could also be the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)..
This was my first thought, My '15 700 wigged out on me the other day not as bad as yours but. The wife and I were out on a ride out in the middle of nowhere when I had came to the end of a dead end trail. I stopped,put in in reverse and back up up to turn around and when I let off the gas the engine wouldn't idle down. I tried to blip the throttle a few times and shut it off and restart, but it still stayed idling high. I ended up starting it in forward with my foot on the brake, it started and as I began to drive it straightened itself out. Haven't had an issue since, but the first thing that came to my mind when it was wigging out was the IAC.

Last edited:
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
You say you have 237 miles on it....How many total miles does the machine have? 3,237 or just 237?

Have you checked the airways? A loose hose clamp or blockage?
The early models were full of over and under torqued hardware.

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
You say you have 237 miles on it....How many total miles does the machine have? 3,237 or just 237?

Have you checked the airways? A loose hose clamp or blockage?
The early models were full of over and under torqued hardware.
237 total miles

Reactions: Farmer
Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
This was my first thought, My '15 700 wigged out on me the other day not as bad as yours but. The wife and I were out on a ride out in the middle of nowhere when I had came to the end of a dead end trail. I stopped,put in in reverse and back up up to turn around and when I let off the gas the engine wouldn't idle down. I tried to blip the throttle a few times and shut it off and restart, but it still stayed idling high. I ended up starting it in forward with my foot on the brake, it started and as I began to drive it straightened itself out. Haven't had an issue since, but the first thing that came to my mind when it was wigging out was the IAC.

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4

Just put a new IAC valve in and it didn't help

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
New IAC valve today, and didn't help at all

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4

New IAC valve today and didn't help at all

Rick8330

Rick8330

Nov 21, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have an appointment to drop it off at the local Honda dealer to have the valves checked and see if that's the problem. If not, they're supposed to figure it out and fix it

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!