P500 2015 - what to watch out for and where to look?

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
I've lurked for a while and decided to join today to ask.

I'm considering a 2015 with 400 miles on it. I understand the differences between the pre-17/post 17 models and read the posts about snorkels (as the one I'm considering has one). I've looked at the posts on valuations and think the asking price is in line. I've also watched tons of videos on upgrades, abilities, maintenance, etc.

But what I haven't found is what I should look for and where I should look when I go inspect the one I'm considering.

Can you help me with creating a list (other than what I would consider typical engine and suspension areas)?

Thanks

Reactions: Biteme
L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
I think the blue is faster also :) However, this one is red (slowest?) and since I will only be using it on my small ranch for work and hunting.

• Haha
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Off the top of my head...
  1. Avoid one with a snorkel unless they can prove it hasn't been under water. Long term there will be more problems without perfect maintenance.
  2. Try to get a feel for if the owner was diligent on maintenance
  3. Look for obvious abuse
  4. Check carefully for rust issues
  5. Leaks?
  6. Fluids full?
  7. Tires?
  8. Brakes?
Not much different than shopping for a car of truck.

Reactions: Biteme and trigger
L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
Thanks. I guess there's not any you-better-check-this-because-a-lot-of-them-have-this-failure issue. That's a pretty good reputation.

Since I'm on my 4th Goldwing with never a mechanical issue, I'm comfortable with Honda.

Just glad to hear there's not any known gotchas.

Reactions: Biteme and 500oneer
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might give the front a arm mounts a close look. They are a weak point so they could be bent if it was abused. (They are generally only welded on one side from the factory.)

The rear 1 1/2” hitch receiver can get bent via upwards pressure so I’d take a look at that as well.

Battery cover bolts have caused people grief. I’d open it. Might show nothing but factory or could show a sign of a half ass fix that would make one wonder how they really took care of the machine.

Typical check the air filter/oil situation of course.

Snorkel and stock or AT tires would not bother me much but snorkel and v/tractor or obvious mud tread tires would make me think twice. Overall snorkel look might indicate how they maintained the machine. If it is cobbled together maybe they suck at DIY but think they’re a shade tree mechanic.

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
Thanks for the pointers.

When someone puts a snorkel on do the generally do anything with the location, orientation, etc. of the air filter, or just come in from above?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the pointers.

When someone puts a snorkel on do the generally do anything with the location, orientation, etc. of the air filter, or just come in from above?
I'd say most try to make it blend in with the machine. On the P500 it is pretty easy to have it sort of follow along the cage up to around the roof line and have it all painted black (or color matched to the plastics) to have it look like it belongs there. An all PVC setup with a fernco (or similar) adapter to a nicely cut stock intake tube wouldn't make we wonder.

If it is still white PVC and generally looks slapped together (RTV looking like it threw up around the airbox lid or something) then it would indicate to me they don't give a s*** at all. In that case, I'd guess they haven't bothered to do the break in oil change either. Just one man's opinion though for whatever it is worth.

Edit ... Air filter in the stock location or moved to the top of the intake in open air .... neither would overly concern me, but there is a vent from the motor to the stock location. I'm leaving mine in the stock location because of that. A prefilter on the snorkel intake is always a bonus though even if it is something as simple as a piece of pantyhose to keep big chunks of dirt and bugs out while not restricting the airflow.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, having a snorkel wouldn't freak me out either. I think they should all be snorkeled for the what if's. Ask about the first service and what was used. It only has 400 miles so it isn't even ready for the second yet. Condition of the air filter will probably tell the story. If it's brand new, that might throw up a red flag too. Like Old 45 said, get a feel from the owner, if I get a bad vibe I'll walk regardless of the price.

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
Just got back from looking at it. The snorkel is a good one and well installed, not DIY. The oil and coolant were clean, as well as the air filter. Everything looked in good condition - all cv joint boots were good and no bent a-arm linkages.

What range of pricing should I consider as "fair"?

Does anyone know what is required in Texas to change ownership?

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Just got back from looking at it. The snorkel is a good one and well installed, not DIY. The oil and coolant were clean, as well as the air filter. Everything looked in good condition - all cv joint boots were good and no bent a-arm linkages.

What range of pricing should I consider as "fair"?

Does anyone know what is required in Texas to change ownership?
Trade in value is $4,400 and retail is $6,400 at the dealer. You didnt say what other options it had beside snorkel. Honda roof and windshield are pricey.

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
We agreed to $5,400, which I think is a fair price for both of us. I pick it up Thursday and will take it to the ranch on Friday. Looking forward to tooling around on it and learning more about it.

Thanks for the input folks.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
We agreed to $5,400, which I think is a fair price for both of us. I pick it up Thursday and will take it to the ranch on Friday. Looking forward to tooling around on it and learning more about it.

Thanks for the input folks.
Good price! I think almost everyone here on this forum has at least $10,000 in thier machines.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@leboyd don’t forget to post some pics whne you pick it up 👍🏼

And, Congrats🤘🏼

L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
I hesitate to say I can't see spending $4,600 more on it. I looked up the front locking diff everyone talks about, but they are out of stock and it's $460, not $4,600 :)

I have a 3,500 winch I've got saved in my Amazon wish list and I'll probably look into a fold down windshield.

But other than those items, right now I don't know enough about them :)

And if I did spend $10,000 on it, that's $3k-5k less than a new one with all the add ons :)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hesitate to say I can't see spending $4,600 more on it. I looked up the front locking diff everyone talks about, but they are out of stock and it's $460, not $4,600 :)

I have a 3,500 winch I've got saved in my Amazon wish list and I'll probably look into a fold down windshield.

But other than those items, right now I don't know enough about them :)

And if I did spend $10,000 on it, that's $3k-5k less than a new one with all the add ons :)
🤔We can help get you to 10k. ;)

TriggerShield from @trigger
box from box @Choogsbro brother
Skid plate
Winch
Roof
Locker
Power steering
Elka or Walker Evans shocks
Moose 2" receiver
Custom graphics from creativeutvgraphics.com
Switch plate from @Hondasxs
Lighted whips
Cube lights
Light bar
Dual battery setup
Aftermarket tires and rims
😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I hesitate to say I can't see spending $4,600 more on it.
Lmao, famous last words. Have a quick conversation with trigger about this....🤣

Mods and accessories are fun and addictive, just don’t keep a tally....👍

Reactions: trigger and futzin
L

leboyd

Jun 14, 2020
houston
Also, I want a stronger battery. Looking at the Yuasa GYZ. Anyone have good or bad experience with these? The one I'm looking at has 500CCA.

(Not ready to go dual yet because I don't have the time right now. I will be doing that probably in August)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!