P1000 2016 1000-5 Low On Power

Gentry1000

Gentry1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2020
Waskom Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and new to the Honda Pioneer. I recently purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 from a family member needing help. The vehicle has had all recalls done and has always been dealer serviced.
its set up for mud riding with 6” 30% gear reduction portals and 32” tires. It’s idles and runs down the trails and backroads very well. The problems is - I have had it in a couple situations where it just logged down and would not turn the tires. 1 time the front tires went down in some thick mud on a small grade and the back tires were on dry hard ground and it would not spin the tires - just bog down. The other time was in low 1st gear climbing up a 2 foot bank out off a low spot on a trail with no mud, the machine bogged down.

it has had a recent service were all fluids and filters including the air were changed along with new spark plugs and the spark arrestor cleaned. Today I decided to test the power to see if it would spin the tires. I pulled up against a tree and put it in low MT 1st gear 2 wheel drive and applied throttle. The machine bogs and want turn a tire. Took it for a spin down the road runs great.

Any ideas on what the issue maybe? The portals with the gear reductions is lower than if it was all stock with stock tires. I’m puzzled.....it has 504 hours and 2750 miles on it.

Oh one other thing it does seem to put out a lot of cab heat which in my oppion is more than what described in some of the research I have read about.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm sure
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and new to the Honda Pioneer. I recently purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 from a family member needing help. The vehicle has had all recalls done and has always been dealer serviced.
its set up for mud riding with 6” 30% gear reduction portals and 32” tires. It’s idles and runs down the trails and backroads very well. The problems is - I have had it in a couple situations where it just logged down and would not turn the tires. 1 time the front tires went down in some thick mud on a small grade and the back tires were on dry hard ground and it would not spin the tires - just bog down. The other time was in low 1st gear climbing up a 2 foot bank out off a low spot on a trail with no mud, the machine bogged down.

it has had a recent service were all fluids and filters including the air were changed along with new spark plugs and the spark arrestor cleaned. Today I decided to test the power to see if it would spin the tires. I pulled up against a tree and put it in low MT 1st gear 2 wheel drive and applied throttle. The machine bogs and want turn a tire. Took it for a spin down the road runs great.

Any ideas on what the issue maybe? The portals with the gear reductions is lower than if it was all stock with stock tires. I’m puzzled.....it has 504 hours and 2750 miles on it.

Oh one other thing it does seem to put out a lot of cab heat which in my oppion is more than what described in some of the research I have read about.
I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong. Once you go above stock tires, the bog down is going to be much more noticeable even with the portals since your running 32s. Im running 28s and notice it once in a blue moon. People running 30s notice it more than i do. Someone else can maybe help u do something for more low end power. As far as the cab heat goes, its gonna be hot because you're sitting on top of the motor. There is stuff u can do to help but I doubt it can ever be eliminated. Especially in Texas. Aslo if your running a full windshield, it makes much much worse. I had to ditch the full windshield and go superatv flip up windshield.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You got in low or high range, try low.

Gentry1000

Gentry1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2020
Waskom Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Low range
im hoping there is an issue
love the machine but will be disappointed

Gentry1000

Gentry1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2020
Waskom Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Meant to say yes I was in low range

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Meant to say yes I was in low range
Somethings amiss, ours will dig holes in 4WD if you butt it up against a tree? Are you sure it's in low? Should feel a lot lower geared than in high on flat ground?

M

Montoyaplumber

Sep 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Pioneer 1000 also bogs down when I lower gear. I got stuck in sand and the machine wouldn't spin tires to try and get out. Is there a fix or tuner that will help?

Reactions: Smittyp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My Pioneer 1000 also bogs down when I lower gear. I got stuck in sand and the machine wouldn't spin tires to try and get out. Is there a fix or tuner that will help?
Welcome to the forum.
This thread hasn't had a post on it in 2yrs, same goes for the OP. We will need more info about your rig to help properly answer your question, like yr make model miles mods tire size. This is why we ask for intro and pics. I would suggest starting a new thread with your issue and detailed info of your rig to get a more comprehensive answer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!