P700 2016 700 having issues with clutch or trans ???

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
hey guys I have a 2017 700
has around 600 miles, started having issues with trans slipping.
Changed oil and filter all Pam
went out on a ride did good for awhile , then was a little hard to start after taking a break. Started to go up a decent incline and blew a big puff of smoke and acted like it was looking power. Made it to top and came out of it but continued to act up rest of ride.
The next day I got it out to do some yard work and seemed like it was ok , but started slipping again. Barely made it back to garage ???
just changed oil and adjusted valves last time it did this thought that would help but didn't last.
Put new filter , oil, and plugs and air filter before we went riding .
any suggestions or help please

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
sorry all OEM parts and oil
went out on a ride did good for awhile , then was a little hard to start after taking a break. Started to go up a decent incline and blew a big puff of smoke and acted like it was looking power. Made it to top and came out of it but continued to act up rest of ride.
The next day I got it out to do some yard work and seemed like it was ok , but started slipping again. Barely made it back to garage ???
just changed oil and adjusted valves last time it did this thought that would help but didn't last.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

What did the oil look like when you drained it? Are you having engine trouble and clutch trouble?

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
What did the oil look like when you drained it? Are you having engine trouble and clutch trouble?
oil looked dirty
was smoking every time you hit gas then would go away so I changed it had a shop change plugs and adjust valves
then I changed air filter before I went riding did ok for about an hour then started same stuff as before

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
oil looked dirty
was smoking every time you hit gas then would go away so I changed it had a shop change plugs and adjust valves
then I changed air filter before I went riding did ok for about an hour then started same stuff as before

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
it seems like a power and trans issue acts like trans is slipping

S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
is there any way to test clutch or transmission

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is there any way to test clutch or transmission
There is a way to test the trans but you need special gauges to do it. You shouldn’t be seeing smoke from the exhaust, you may have a camshaft issue possibly, it’s just about the only weak link on the 700’s.

Reactions: Srchamberlin
S

Srchamberlin

Jul 23, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
where can I check transmission ??
with the right guages

Reactions: Russ989
advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Farmer
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could try this to somewhat eliminate the transmission.

Transmission fail safe. How does it work.

Check your oil level as well, the 700 transmission is very touchy about how it operates in conjunction with the oil level. They like to run FULL! Follow this procedure below. Also, make sure that you have at least one bar on the temp gauge before moving the pioneer.

0A42A44D E8C5 45B3 8B83 4DB3FFE74435

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
doesnt sound like a cam issue. cams usually progress slowly over time or just flat go out pretty quick depending on how you ride. sounds more like a ring or valve issue being your smoking. pull your spark plug and check it. can try a compression test as well. until you find out the issue with the motor the trans really wont feel right. my buddy put car oil in his 1 time. and went well over miles on change and now his clutches arent slipping but the trans doesnt want to shift at the correct time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds to me like you need to make a trip to the dealership for some diagnosing.... If it's been submerged and run with water..... they take several oil changes to get it all out, then you could have worn rings and bad compression. Low power could feel like a slipping trans. So could water in the torque converter if the oil wasn't changed multiple times after flooding. The torque converter uses engine oil so it's a pain to get it all flushed. You could search some flooded 700 posts to see what others have done.

Reactions: Mudwing
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also, going in a completley different direction.... I know these things had issues with spark plug boots breaking every time they were touched. It got to the point that they say to plan on having replacement boots on hand in case you need to pull the plug for some reason. So, maybe bad spark. But that would probably be more of a sputter than a lack of power. The smoking makes me wonder though.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!