P700 2016 700 starting and then dies

I

Inspectorsmith

Mar 24, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
ok so about a year ago a sank my pioneer trying to cross a creek. Filled the motor with water, it sat for almost a week like that before i could get it flushed out. flushed the engine 6 times oil came out clean after the fourth flush. bike ran fine decided to snorkel and add the programmer. took bike on a ride did fine. parked the bike for about a month then it was hard to start figured it was just bad gas added some additive didnt help. bike would run fine around the yard then when you try to go fast it would cut out, just before that i noticed it would top out at about 35mph which was slow to what it was. it would randomly crack easy then die. got aggravated and parked it about 8 moths ago. so last week got it back out charged the battery drained the tank new gas, and it started up fairly easy road around the yard a bit to warm it up then let it idle for a while it idles fine drive around the yard again seams to be fine. Next morning try to crack it hard start then didnt want to go dies when you touch the peddle, finally get it going, fine at low speed but dies out when you get on it. parked it pulled plugs top plug is almost white and the bottom plug is black, changed the plugs cracks up easy ride around the yard does the same thing ok at idle dies at full throttle after just a few minutes bottom plug is black again. now want crack.

Ive been reading about this cam shaft issue does this sound like that or possibly just a bad coil on the ignition.

any help would be appreciated

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
sank my pioneer trying to cross a creek.
Theres the beginning of your problem and then added a programer 🤨 how many times did you flush it, run it then flush it again Before your programer? how many miles on it?

At any rate, Welcome From Michigan.

We have a saying when you first post…PIcs Or It Didnt Happen!
preferably not when sunk😂

Maybe some others can cherp in and give some other advise. But its not looking so gooder from what I read

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
ok so about a year ago a sank my pioneer trying to cross a creek. Filled the motor with water, it sat for almost a week like that before i could get it flushed out. flushed the engine 6 times oil came out clean after the fourth flush. bike ran fine decided to snorkel and add the programmer. took bike on a ride did fine. parked the bike for about a month then it was hard to start figured it was just bad gas added some additive didnt help. bike would run fine around the yard then when you try to go fast it would cut out, just before that i noticed it would top out at about 35mph which was slow to what it was. it would randomly crack easy then die. got aggravated and parked it about 8 moths ago. so last week got it back out charged the battery drained the tank new gas, and it started up fairly easy road around the yard a bit to warm it up then let it idle for a while it idles fine drive around the yard again seams to be fine. Next morning try to crack it hard start then didnt want to go dies when you touch the peddle, finally get it going, fine at low speed but dies out when you get on it. parked it pulled plugs top plug is almost white and the bottom plug is black, changed the plugs cracks up easy ride around the yard does the same thing ok at idle dies at full throttle after just a few minutes bottom plug is black again. now want crack.

Ive been reading about this cam shaft issue does this sound like that or possibly just a bad coil on the ignition.

any help would be appreciated
Needs a complete overhaul top bottom everything. sell it trade it fix it pick one all three will cost about the same good luck just my opinion. Water has a way of getting into everything when you sank it.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Needs a complete overhaul top bottom everything. sell it trade it fix it pick one all three will cost about the same good luck just my opinion. Water has a way of getting into everything when you sank it.
This is what I would do, if I can't enjoy it it's gone and a new ride is always nice.

I

Inspectorsmith

Mar 24, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the comments. I haven't done much since the original post. Started pulling the plastics this evening. ill probably need some suggestions as i go along. whats the best company to by rebuild kits from. iv seen bunch of different places online

I

Inspectorsmith

Mar 24, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
so i have a little bit of an update. i was reeding on one of these forums and someone said they were having an issue with startup, they had to put the bike in gear and press the brake for it to crank. I have been trying to get this thing to start in neutral and it wouldnt. So i put it in gear and pressed the brake and it cranked first hit. Seems to idle fine but still have the same low throttle runs fine heavy dies out. I havent checked the air filter yet, but it was brand new before just before started having these problems. put a little to much silicone on the lid when i was water proofing everything. Just wanted to see if the consensuses was still needs a rebuild or possibly something different to try. thanks for the help

IMG 20220112 144710077

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
so i have a little bit of an update. i was reeding on one of these forums and someone said they were having an issue with startup, they had to put the bike in gear and press the brake for it to crank. I have been trying to get this thing to start in neutral and it wouldnt. So i put it in gear and pressed the brake and it cranked first hit. Seems to idle fine but still have the same low throttle runs fine heavy dies out. I havent checked the air filter yet, but it was brand new before just before started having these problems. put a little to much silicone on the lid when i was water proofing everything. Just wanted to see if the consensuses was still needs a rebuild or possibly something different to try. thanks for the help

View attachment 313138
I would recommend a compression test before tearing into the engine. I am a bit concerned about your original post of letting the machine sit for a week before flushing and drying it out, but I would still do a compression check. Are you getting any flashing codes on the display? If compression is good other thoughts would be a coil to the plug you say is black and dirty, check all the coil connections and make sure they are not connected. If the two cylinders have separate coils maybe swap them and see if the dirty plug problem moves to the other cylinder (not sure if you have separate coils, and if so if they are the same. My P500 is a single cylinder so I can't check for you).

Reactions: Farmer
I

Inspectorsmith

Mar 24, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
well put the compression gauge on this morning guess i should have done that to start with. only 60 on the gauge so looks like top end rebuild here i come. iv been looking and cant find a full engine rebuild kit just the top end. anyone got a website

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I can’t believe it even starts with only 60 lbs. of compression.Did you leave one plug in while you tested the other? I could be wrong but I believe you still have water in the ol girl. When you sink them on a warm day the tank contracts and literally sucks gallons back in as the cold water cools the tank down.The front and rear diffs will do this as well.Just my oppinion.

Last edited:
I

Inspectorsmith

Mar 24, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya i was a little surprised at the 60 lbs my self. i checked it from both plugs with the other installed. Im just going to pull the motor and rebuild it cause i know it needs clutches too. im still trying to figure out the starting with it in gear and the break on, but not in neutral. any ideas on that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!