P1000 2016 Clutch same as the 2017?

N

nellie2110

Feb 11, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am looking at getting a 2016. The model differences between the 17 and 16 say "refined DCT for even smoother acceleration from a stop", so is there anything else that makes the two clutches different after the clutch fix?

Reactions: Lady01
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just had the clutch update done on my 17 model I don't have very many miles on it but I can tell a big difference I would think the clutchs are the same but I was wondering myself if once u get the clutch update done does that make the clutch the same as the 18 model

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I am looking at getting a 2016. The model differences between the 17 and 16 say "refined DCT for even smoother acceleration from a stop", so is there anything else that makes the two clutches different after the clutch fix?

The differences between 16 & 17 models is minor. BOTH need the clutch update campaign to ensure longevity. Without typing a tech paper in a nutshell the update changes a cover that in turn inundated the clutches with much more oil so they do not overheat. In a stress environment after the update, the durability is more than 7x greater from heat failure than before. In fact after the update your overheat light will come on before burning up the clutch.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So your saying the 18 model clutch is different than the 16 and 17 model clutch even after the clutch update

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
So your saying the 18 model clutch is different than the 16 and 17 model clutch even after the clutch update
I am saying exactly what I said above, but since you now mention the 18 model, the 2018 have the new parts used in the update campaign already installed when engine and transmission were assembled in Japan. Everything built after 7/20/17 has the newest revised parts already.

J

JTW

I am saying exactly what I said above, but since you now mention the 18 model, the 2018 have the new parts used in the update campaign already installed when engine and transmission were assembled in Japan. Everything built after 7/20/17 has the newest revised parts already.
So you’re saying that they’re basically the same other than being a little different?

M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.
probably dumb question but is this clutch update a recall issue or something you have to pay your dealer for?
The differences between 16 & 17 models is minor. BOTH need the clutch update campaign to ensure longevity. Without typing a tech paper in a nutshell the update changes a cover that in turn inundated the clutches with much more oil so they do not overheat. In a stress environment after the update, the durability is more than 7x greater from heat failure than before. In fact after the update your overheat light will come on before burning up the clutch.

advertisement
S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I just did the clutch update on my 2017 P-1000. Has anyone seen anything about proper operation (or gear selection) when towing a trailer? I pull a smaller trailer (6 footer)around the farm when cutting Cedar Trees and kind of want to pull a little bit bigger trailer to accommodate not a whole lot more weight but more weight. I think I over heated my clutch last time due to not having the upgrade but I was towing a mower in High gear for a while. Just wanna try to do it right this time.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So I just did the clutch update on my 2017 P-1000. Has anyone seen anything about proper operation (or gear selection) when towing a trailer? I pull a smaller trailer (6 footer)around the farm when cutting Cedar Trees and kind of want to pull a little bit bigger trailer to accommodate not a whole lot more weight but more weight. I think I over heated my clutch last time due to not having the upgrade but I was towing a mower in High gear for a while. Just wanna try to do it right this time.
This is a 3yr old thread. should have started a new one For your question, kinda has nothing to do with the title Lol.
are you asking is it ok to do what u were doing with the clutch update?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P1000 is rated to tow 2000 pounds, so normal towing of a trailer bigger than 6' should be no problem. However, what is death to the clutch is giving it the gas while the machine is bogged down. If it ain't moving while the engine's revving in gear, the clutch is suffering wear. I wouldn't try dragging a heavy trailer across a soft or muddy field or up a steep hill. But that's just me.