P1000 Clutch recall not done. Options?

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, just checked and the bad news is that the clutch housing on my 2016 P1K5 is the original version.

IMG 9240

Good news is that it is 8+ years old and has 3,220 miles on it and evidently it hasn’t ever had any clutch problems.

Bad news is that odds are that it will have issues before much longer.

Started the process of adding my own touches to the machine. 20” LED light bar on the back.
IMG 9241

Not as excited about doing all the adds now that I know I’m going to need to spend some $ on the clutch.

Anyone with contact at Honda that can get me a deal on the improved clutch housing?

Thanks, Nathan

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Anyone with contact at Honda that can get me a deal on the improved clutch housing
Wish it was that easy! Prob not gonna happen. It was just that, a campaign not a recall. But should have been IMO
Good news is that it is 8+ years old and has 3,220 miles on it and evidently it hasn’t ever had any clutch problems.
That is good news. Too bad u didnt know this before purchasing, could have made the deal sweeter and got it a bit cheeper.

You can either just keep changing the fluids and when it gives u issues then deal with it, or it would behoove you to go get some estimates from dealers in your area with good service reviews and get er done. The update however does shift alot smoother and u can run in High at low speeds with a much leas chance of burning them clutches up. That was a big problem before the update. I noticed some heat reduction when i had mine done. So Its all up to you at this point.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I honestly wouldn't be that concerned. I waited until the last week of the date on the bulletin to get my clutch upgrade done on my 16'. I personally didn't want those college students d*ck beaters on my machine until absolutely necessary.

Rule #1 - Don't baby it. When you go to get on the throttle, give it the beans. If you are creeping at 1-3 mph the clutch is slipping. 4 mph and over your good.

Rule #2 - Keep the oil changed. As clutch slips it leaves clutch material in your oil. The cleaner you keep it the better.

Rule #3 - Use low gear as much as possible, especially with aftermarket tires and wheels. These can add rotating mass and with the pioneer 1000 I always went as light as possible on my setups to help keep this from happening.

Rule #4 - If you get in any sort of bind, just stop and hook up the winch. When you want to go, and the tires won't spin because of the situation they are in is when the clutches leave the chat. Reverse especially.

If you have any questions, just let us know. Bunch of great dudes around here that don't mind helping. Just drive it. If you notice rpm spikes between gear shifts, it may be time. Until then enjoy your honda. Mine had 25,000 miles on it when I sold it. Prolly had 8-10,000 before clutch upgrade.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I honestly wouldn't be that concerned. I waited until the last week of the date on the bulletin to get my clutch upgrade done on my 16'. I personally didn't want those college students d*ck beaters on my machine until absolutely necessary.

Rule #1 - Don't baby it. When you go to get on the throttle, give it the beans. If you are creeping at 1-3 mph the clutch is slipping. 4 mph and over your good.

Rule #2 - Keep the oil changed. As clutch slips it leaves clutch material in your oil. The cleaner you keep it the better.

Rule #3 - Use low gear as much as possible, especially with aftermarket tires and wheels. These can add rotating mass and with the pioneer 1000 I always went as light as possible on my setups to help keep this from happening.

Rule #4 - If you get in any sort of bind, just stop and hook up the winch. When you want to go, and the tires won't spin because of the situation they are in is when the clutches leave the chat. Reverse especially.

If you have any questions, just let us know. Bunch of great dudes around here that don't mind helping. Just drive it. If you notice rpm spikes between gear shifts, it may be time. Until then enjoy your honda. Mine had 25,000 miles on it when I sold it. Prolly had 8-10,000 before clutch upgrade.
Thanks for the input. The guy I bought it from just used it on a small flat farm. No trail riding or anything exciting.

I will be mostly doing the same, except I have a place in Colorado that has some ups and downs on it. I guess just run it in low gear when I'm there and I should be okay.

I'm going to call the local powersports place and at least get a quote for what it would cost. I'm not super impressed with them right now though, they've had my 2016 Husqvarna FE510 for 9 months now because it wouldn't start last spring after not riding it all winter. They've replaced the fuel pump, starter, battery, ECM and even did an engine rebuild on it. Still won't start.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I'd suggest getting the info on the necessary parts it takes to perform the upgrade and order them yourself. Store them on the shelf somewhere so when it's time (may never be) take machine and parts to dealer. This will give you the best outcome and turnaround. I'm sorry but I just don't trust dealers. They are professional con-artist. As the saying goes, "If they were on fire I wouldn't..." The ol' I don't know what else it could be, we replaced the ecm.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm going to call the local powersports place and at least get a quote for what it would cost. I'm not super impressed with them right now though, they've had my 2016 Husqvarna FE510 for 9 months now
DONT GET A QUOTE FROM THEM THEN!

Call others and do a little research on them before deciding. Dont be afraid to travel a bit. 100% worth it. Id get it done when I could. Theres too much protocol you have to follow basically to a T to not have issues. All it takes is one F up and they are toast. Had mine done during the campaign, wasnt going to till it started to slip after just lightly spinning wheels in the sandy trails up here and I was careful prior. Just my experience. Just ask CP @CumminsPusher about them 16 clutch issues

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I have posted on here many times on why I distrust dealers (and warranties). I do most if not all my work myself. If it's something I can't handle I'm sure to speak with whomever and let them know that I'm not some push over. There could be a possibility I pop you in the nose if you F my stuff up. I'm the guy that handles business by looking you in the eye and a firm handshake. If things go south you'll know you don't want to look me in the eye again after, and our handshake is now void.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Called a dealer about a hundred miles from here. They are going to lookup the VIN and see what my options are. Rough guess was $750 labor plus whatever Honda charges for the updated housing. They were optimistic that Honda might throw in the housing for free but I'm not holding my breath.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
They ran the VIN and there are 4 recalls that need to be done in addition to the clutch. They made it sound like they thought there was a good chance that they could get the clutch done as part of everything else since there were so many other things but no guarantees. They did look up the service bulletin on it and it said 2.5 hours of labor so they said that would be closer to $400 in labor plus whatever the part costs. I'm actually going there for work on Thursday and it would be tempting to take it over there but I was hoping to do some riding around the house this weekend.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They ran the VIN and there are 4 recalls that need to be done in addition to the clutch. They made it sound like they thought there was a good chance that they could get the clutch done as part of everything else since there were so many other things but no guarantees. They did look up the service bulletin on it and it said 2.5 hours of labor so they said that would be closer to $400 in labor plus whatever the part costs. I'm actually going there for work on Thursday and it would be tempting to take it over there but I was hoping to do some riding around the house this weekend.
Dosnt sound bad at all.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have posted on here many times on why I distrust dealers (and warranties). I do most if not all my work myself. If it's something I can't handle I'm sure to speak with whomever and let them know that I'm not some push over. There could be a possibility I pop you in the nose if you F my stuff up. I'm the guy that handles business by looking you in the eye and a firm handshake. If things go south you'll know you don't want to look me in the eye again after, and our handshake is now void.
Lol, If your really from Bangladesh, It makes all the since in the world 🤣
All joking aside…
You came off pretty strong on techs and Dealerships in general as why I asked.
Im a 25yr service tech/mechanic (Not Honda)
Lots of school/certifications and Training hrs go into the job still @25yrs. Just like your own job/trade I would presume. In fact I have a training class tomorrow for new equipment.
Bottom line is We are all human and make mistakes and we do our best to fix it right. But on the other hand, if the person working on it isnt experienced or certified from that co, dealership or what have you and screw it up, I get people being upset but we also have to do our research before giving them the work . Ive been on the other end fixing that problem from other co’s many times. IM also for people working on their own stuff if u can. But if u Fuc it up and bring it to us to fix it and try and tell us how to fix it! well….🤷🏻‍♂️
all we ask is to be kind to us and we will be kind to you. Granted there are some hacks out there and it makes our job tougher with customers we get that.
BTW I like a firm handshake as well. You can tell how well a person has a grip on his life.😉

Dont forget to hit reply so we get a noice like above☝🏻. I didnt know u responded. Just happen to see the OP posted again then I seen it.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Doesn't sound bad at all.
I'm thinking for $400 it is a no brainer to just go ahead and get it done and not have to worry every time I go up a hill or want to go slow that I'm going to burn the clutch out.

Only negative is that we had some folks coming over for Easter with kids and I was thinking the new to me P1K5 was going to get a workout hauling kids around the property.

I'll be going there for work so I'll even be getting paid mileage to haul it over there. Just need to work out when to go pick it back up.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'll be going there for work so I'll even be getting paid mileage to haul it over there. Just need to work out when to go pick it back up.
Sounds like a win win. Good way to plan it

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Lol, If your really from Bangladesh, It makes all the since in the world 🤣
All joking aside…
You came off pretty strong on techs and Dealerships in general as why I asked.
Im a 25yr service tech/mechanic (Not Honda)
Lots of school/certifications and Training hrs go into the job still @25yrs. Just like your own job/trade I would presume. In fact I have a training class tomorrow for new equipment.
Bottom line is We are all human and make mistakes and we do our best to fix it right. But on the other hand, if the person working on it isnt experienced or certified from that co, dealership or what have you and screw it up, I get people being upset but we also have to do our research before giving them the work . Ive been on the other end fixing that problem from other co’s many times. IM also for people working on their own stuff if u can. But if u Fuc it up and bring it to us to fix it and try and tell us how to fix it! well….🤷🏻‍♂️
all we ask is to be kind to us and we will be kind to you. Granted there are some hacks out there and it makes our job tougher with customers we get that.
BTW I like a firm handshake as well. You can tell how well a person has a grip on his life.😉

Dont forget to hit reply so we get a noice like above☝🏻. I didnt know u responded. Just happen to see the OP posted again then I seen it.
Sorry to get under your skin but I stand firm on dealerships being rip offs. I'm not from Bangladesh btw lol. You just keep turning wrenches bud, maybe you'll get someone to trust you from all those certifications. Just not me! Am I the only one that has never heard "that place where I carried my $25,000 machine treated me so well. They didn't even charge me to replace the cigarette lighter". Nope and not going to. They are going to nickel and dime you for every little thing. Surprised they don't charge you for trailer parking when you show up to the dealership with your machine. It's probably coming though, so get ready. Lol

As for the OP I'm all about having the peace of mind and wanting to trust your machine. That's why I don't own anything with a belt. Lots of my rides are over 100 miles and that's just way too far from the trailer to trust a CVT. Hopefully that $400 won't grow in cost, but if I know a dealership, you'd better get that in writing. Be sure the machine is clean some charge for cleaning. Lol

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I remember right that should be all of the service bulletins. They call them service bulletins rather than recall, as I figure it is legalese language. Some pertain to certain years, but the major one is the clutch update. Many owners of the 2016s had burned up 1-3-5 clutches and the upgrade with the increased oiling vastly reduced the possibility of an owner having trouble. I believe it is actually really rare for someone to have trouble now unless it is over abuse. If it's doable I believe I would get it done, but nothing says it has to be done right now. Do your research and find a reputable dealer (sounds like your local one is one I would stay away from) or even a forum member that could help you out. @CumminsPusher had a great write up how to change the clutches and I'm sure his early thread would give you great insight. Good luck and enjoy your machine.

The other bulletins should be depending on the year:
* Front Air Intake (but it sounds like you have that changed already)
* Gas petal sticking (I bought mine a week before the stop sale so at least I got to ride it. I had it fixed and it was less then 30 minute job)
* Air Box to throttle body loose clamps ( I checked this myself as per Hondatech's instructions)
* Steering joint bolt problems ( I also checked myself and didn't have any issues or needs to change)

I know it might sound like alot but if it was another brand machine that would be 5 or 6 service bulletins every month. Get out and explore as I think you have bought a great machine.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, just checked and the bad news is that the clutch housing on my 2016 P1K5 is the original version.

View attachment 422825

Bad news is that odds are that it will have issues before much longer.

Started the process of adding my own touches to the machine. 20” LED light bar on the back.
View attachment 422826
Not as excited about doing all the adds now that I know I’m going to need to spend some $ on the clutch.

Anyone with contact at Honda that can get me a deal on the improved clutch housing?

Thanks, Nathan
if you never checked it would you be concerned?

im pretty handy, but lots of noise of "I changed the clutch and the endless problems of relearn not taking, pulling back apart, etc. "- if they say $400+ parts and you are able to talk to the wrench who has actually done a few and can sense knows their s*** - seems like money well spent

(and I despise most dealerships)

Reactions: Rayger143
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
if you never checked it would you be concerned?

im pretty handy, but lots of noise of "I changed the clutch and the endless problems of relearn not taking, pulling back apart, etc. "- if they say $400+ parts and you are able to talk to the wrench who has actually done a few and can sense knows their s*** - seems like money well spent

(and I despise most dealerships)
If I hadn't read about it on here I wouldn't be concerned. Obviously the original owner wasn't concerned. LOL.

It does seem to shift a little lurchy but I had actually read that was normal so if I hadn't seen the information on the clutch service bulletin here I would be going on my merry way without a concern in the world about it.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm thinking for $400 it is a no brainer to just go ahead and get it done and not have to worry every time I go up a hill or want to go slow that I'm going to burn the clutch out.

Only negative is that we had some folks coming over for Easter with kids and I was thinking the new to me P1K5 was going to get a workout hauling kids around the property.

Did you get a quote on the parts also?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!