P1000 Clutch recall not done. Options?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
That was if the clutch pack was good and they just changed out the housing and put the existing clutch pack back in there. They are saying that the existing clutch pack is pretty much toast and I should get a new one. The new clutch pack plus labor is $1,000. That seems pretty high. They said the new clutch pack was $562 but that it would take a lot more labor to install it. I would have thought it took the same amount of labor to put the old one back but evidently they don't even have to take the old clutch pack out if it is good when they replace the housing.
I thought the MSRP for the clutch pack was about $350ish. That was pre-china virus.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
They sent me a picture of the clutch.

IMG 7667

They said they would knock 10% off the cost of the part so only $500 instead of I can buy it online for $340. 4 hours of labor @ $149 gets it to $1,100ish extra for a new clutch.

I don't know enough to have any idea if that clutch looks burnt or not. The service guy said that pulling it into the shop he could tell that it was slipping a little but not much yet but that it was just a matter of time before it was done.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It’s burnt to me……

Utube pioneer or talon clutch replacement and maybe educate yourself on the inner workings of the part that locks up power to the beast.

those costs seem reasonable - I get it’s a dealer - they need to make some dollars but not too bad - also, there have been many that have spent countless hours getting that clutch to work after replacing - it appears to be a little delicate going back in - good luck.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It really does suck that Honda sticks it to the folks that didn't immediately have problems with their clutches and so they didn't take their machines in for the "service campaign" and are now getting hit with $1,700 repair bills. There was obviously a problem with the original housing. Kind of one of those areas where it would have been better for the previous owner to be harder on the machine and have the clutch already go out than to have babied it and had it last this long.

But they do the recalls on the items with the $50 parts and labor like steering knuckles, etc.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It really does suck that Honda sticks it to the folks that didn't immediately have problems with their clutches and so they didn't take their machines in for the "service campaign" and are now getting hit with $1,700 repair bills. There was obviously a problem with the original housing. Kind of one of those areas where it would have been better for the previous owner to be harder on the machine and have the clutch already go out than to have babied it and had it last this long.

But they do the recalls on the items with the $50 parts and labor like steering knuckles, etc.
If you're able take that clutch apart I'd be curious to see what the frictions and steels actually look like. I agree it sucks.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Service bulletins were always that way because they figure not everybody is going to have the problem and it's not a safety concern.

Recalls are just the opposite, it's a safety concern and in order to not be sued is handled as such.

Just the way it has worked for 40 years.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
@npaden Did I mention that the dealers were ripoffs? Should have gotten it in writing so you could take that quote to another dealer. Crazy that I bet another dealer would have tried to beat that price. Good luck... Maybe they won't charge you for additional stuff like a $50 o-ring because it came in a honda bag with a honda part number. You can get the same o-ring at any Ace hardware for .39 cents.

Sorry to be so negative but this is the exact experience I've had at all the dealers I've tried.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Hey - sucks but it is what it is and buyer beware.

Honda did their job - did the warranty work in reasonable extended window and had to call it done at some point.

so far your service provider seems fair - opened up the beast and found the clutch was on its way out - most would probably be b****ing if they replaced the cover and said nothing about the clutch and then the clutch goes out in a couple of months and back in and more money spent and machine out of pocket.

I get it some wont pay 3 digit technician costs because of their talent - but I pay 3 digit technician costs when I go to the doctor - can’t repair myself - lol….

everyone has their unique talents and abilities and confort level diving into whatever it is

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Appeal it with Honda... this shouldn't have been a closed date item if it was indeed a design flaw.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
its like 7 years later:eek:.....2nd owner at least, it sucks for the OP - but we have all been there at some point.....hope they cover it but hope is generally a bad plan

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I don't think an appeal is going to work. I really probably should have just done it all myself but oh well. Hopefully get it back soon, I have pretty much everything I ordered to put on it in the barn ready to go, just need to get it back so I can add the lights, battery, etc. to it.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, all you guys complaining about Honda not covering his clutch and they should come out and give everyone that didnt get it done a hand job and somehow give u a brake on a clutch update, go pound sand!
It was a “Campaign” and had an end date
Not a “recall” recalls are safty issues this was not, it was a design flaw and they addressed it. Sorry if u didnt go when you had roughly 3 years to do it. If you bought a 16’ or 17’ rig and it wasnt done by that owner well🤷🏻‍♂️
Go beat him up over it! Did u actually think a dealer was gonna get something out of a company that a “Campaign” that expired 4yrs ago? In the words of FJB C’mon man!
@npaden sorry you have to pay for this, but you did buy this before checking these things and could have gotten the rig cheaper to make the difference in getting it done! Sorry thats on you as you stated before. Sucks man but facts always do!

Here is the original Campaign post in the forum found up top and the discussion. Enjoy.

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, I'm not so quick to give Honda a pass on a bad design. If it was serious enough to warrant a fix in 2017, it should still apply in 2024.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Reactions: npaden
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got the call saying everything was done and the machine is ready to pick up.

Total bill is at $1,615 so at least they didn't tack on some hidden costs or anything. They did the 4 recalls and put the new clutch housing in and a new clutch.

I need to go back that way week after next for work again so I am going just wait until then to pick it up. Might end up going up to Colorado at the end of the month to see how it likes the hills up there.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to see you got it done!
I would thing this kind of issue should have a milage limit, not a time limit. If a machine sits in a barn for 8 years with 10 miles on it, it should be covered. If it's got 10000 miles of driving through mud, I would say it made it through the issue and would not be covered. Extreme examples, but I think you get my point, whether you agree or not. :)

Reactions: Remington
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Glad to see you got it done!
I would thing this kind of issue should have a milage limit, not a time limit. If a machine sits in a barn for 8 years with 10 miles on it, it should be covered. If it's got 10000 miles of driving through mud, I would say it made it through the issue and would not be covered. Extreme examples, but I think you get my point, whether you agree or not. :)
Honda does have a policy for this, it's called Goodwill.

You can plead your case to Honda, but you specifically have ask for Goodwill.

This way Honda can help with maybe parts or labor and not technically be at fault for the failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!