P700 2017 2nd battery location

R

Rockriver

Feb 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just got my new 700 deluxe. Installed a viper 4500 LB. winch and with that kind of load needed to install an extra battery. There is not an easy place to install an extra battery. If you install the battery under the drivers seat a much more complicated battery box would be required (why Honda does not have something there from the factory is beyond me!). I chose under the hood for the spare battery. The attached photos show the installation. After measuring the area I wanted to use the largest battery I could install. I installed a 30AH battery that I found at a Batteries Plus store. Installed a True battery isolator. All wired to the original battery to allow for charging. Grounding is through the frame. The battery tray is fabricated from 14 gauge SS. The back side is held in place cutting 2 slots in the SS and using hose clamps on the round frame member. Drill and tap the square tubing in front. Battery isolator mounted using double back adhesive foam tape. Battery hold down is an off the shelf rubber strap with a nylon spacer block to anchor the battery.

20170310 153557 20170310 164719 20170310 145209

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice,
Welcome to the club @Rockriver,
This would make life so much easier adding accessories to a 700. The battery at the rear is a PITA.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Glock21user
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just got my new 700 deluxe. Installed a viper 4500 LB. winch and with that kind of load needed to install an extra battery. There is not an easy place to install an extra battery. If you install the battery under the drivers seat a much more complicated battery box would be required (why Honda does not have something there from the factory is beyond me!). I chose under the hood for the spare battery. The attached photos show the installation. After measuring the area I wanted to use the largest battery I could install. I installed a 30AH battery that I found at a Batteries Plus store. Installed a True battery isolator. All wired to the original battery to allow for charging. Grounding is through the frame. The battery tray is fabricated from 14 gauge SS. The back side is held in place cutting 2 slots in the SS and using hose clamps on the round frame member. Drill and tap the square tubing in front. Battery isolator mounted using double back adhesive foam tape. Battery hold down is an off the shelf rubber strap with a nylon spacer block to anchor the battery.

View attachment 38639 View attachment 38640 View attachment 38641

Looks good and welcome to the club.

Just a question though, why would you need a complex battery battery box? Many people have an open battery strapped down.

There used to be a company that sold a battery carrier for the P700 but is no longer doing business. It was basically just three sides for heat protection.

I had one in my P700

984ef5c7a94f2e9ea480de086ff6fcde

" jak9922" lmfao grilling hotdogs on a stick over an open popo hahahahaha

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've installed a second battery under the drivers set and it has worked out perfectly...

Reactions: joeymt33 and DGann
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I really like your install. I have an extra battery that I'm going to try and put under the hood like you did. Where a lot of guys put the extra battery under the seat, is where I added a little bit of storage by placing a 20mm ammo can there. I really like the extra storage for emergency items like tow strap, and tools. Enjoy that new ride.

Reactions: Cctoolfakerss396
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HAD to put mine under the seat, had a heater under the hood.

R

Rockriver

Feb 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks good and welcome to the club.

Just a question though, why would you need a complex battery battery box? Many people have an open battery strapped down.

There used to be a company that sold a battery carrier for the P700 but is no longer doing business. It was basically just three sides for heat protection.

I had one in my P700

984ef5c7a94f2e9ea480de086ff6fcde

" jak9922" lmfao grilling hotdogs on a stick over an open popo hahahahaha
I would not consider the install complex. I made all the tray parts myself and installed in less than 2 hours wiring and all! As someone else posted they may want to install under the drivers seat but this will require a much more detailed installation to make it water proof.

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Just mounted mine under the seat like most people. Just a bottom and side for heat protection. Put some cell insulation on the inside.
Used a True isolator. Also got a knockoff RAM mount off amazon to mount my phone.

2ndbattery Isolator Phonemount

Dribbles

Dribbles

Apr 30, 2017
Land O Lakes, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2

Hey Rockriver. I have same exact machine as you, 2017 700 deluxe. I have been trying to figure out how fabricate a battery holder like the one you came up with. Genius idea by the way! Any chance you would be willing to make another one of those 14 gauge SS battery holders for under the hood? I would pay for material, your time and shipping. Please let me know if you can help out. I have all my lights and Sound bars ready to go just need the 2nd battery set up so I can install. Just moved to a new area and having a hard time finding businesses that want to work with me. Thanks for your help Rockriver!

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey RockRiver...I looked and looked and looked for the best way to mount a second battery, and really wanted to put it under the hood. Your idea made really good sense and seemed relatively simple. I designed mine to fit the Odyssey PC925. The mount is 6 inch wide, 22 ga steel, that is 17 inches long bent similar to what you did. The photo is a prototype, I'm gonna redo with fresh crisp bends and right size clamps (that is, the hose clamps on back--c-clamps are temporary until its done--and I'll tap some holes on the front to secure it there) but even this temporary install is incredible stable with just a strap. I made mine to have the battery lean back against the back too; which seemed to help secure it and will pad the back some with closed cell foam when final. If you have any insight having used your's for a year, would appreciate feedback--but again this seems like a really nice and simple alternative to under the driver's seat with easier access. Thank you for sharing your good idea!! (plus for the 2018 model, color matches with the Odyssey battery!)
access.
IMG 9781

R

Rockriver

Feb 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey RockRiver...I looked and looked and looked for the best way to mount a second battery, and really wanted to put it under the hood. Your idea made really good sense and seemed relatively simple. I designed mine to fit the Odyssey PC925. The mount is 6 inch wide, 22 ga steel, that is 17 inches long bent similar to what you did. The photo is a prototype, I'm gonna redo with fresh crisp bends and right size clamps (that is, the hose clamps on back--c-clamps are temporary until its done--and I'll tap some holes on the front to secure it there) but even this temporary install is incredible stable with just a strap. I made mine to have the battery lean back against the back too; which seemed to help secure it and will pad the back some with closed cell foam when final. If you have any insight having used your's for a year, would appreciate feedback--but again this seems like a really nice and simple alternative to under the driver's seat with easier access. Thank you for sharing your good idea!! (plus for the 2018 model, color matches with the Odyssey battery!)
access. View attachment 83092
Looks very nice! Mine withstood several hard rides on Wisconsin trails and came thru with flying colors.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great. Thanks. Decided to up mount to 16 gauge for a bit more strength. Anyone know of a good ground location under the hood or nearby up front?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!