P1000 2017 Pioneer 1000 cold starting issues

Xw01708

Xw01708

Sep 20, 2017
Alliston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone......I should have listened... I was told to expect issues starting the 2017 Honda 1000 Pioneer. It’s true, it would turn over but wouldn’t start until I put heaters around it...stopped at the dealer today and only got it’s really cold out and not too surprised. They do have the extra battery option or a better gel battery with more cranking power (which seems to be the way there going) over the extra battery...anyone got any ideas? Has anyone use gas deicer? Can’t warm the bike up on the lake ice-fishing. Thanks

Reactions: Someguy
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a '16 P1K-3 and it has been starting for me. It is parked inside my shop but when I went to use it a couple of days ago, it was -5* inside the shop and -12* outside. I started my rig and yes she did crank over for probably close to a minute but then started. I let it warm up for 3-4 minutes and then headed up to my son's house across the snow covered fields about a half a mile away. I went inside and played with the grandchildren for about a half an hour and when I came out, it started just fine but I had lost my power steering.

I'm going to add a second battery as I do have issues when I'm plowing snow and try to raise the plow/winch at the same time that I am backing up.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and ideas here.

ENJOY!!!!!!

Reactions: Xw01708
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My thoughts. 0W-30 oil, 2nd or larger CCA battery, check all engine grounds, rig up a block heater, battery heater, powercommander to richening the fuel mixture - might help to pull some timing during cranking also. Honda is pretty lean stock.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a '16 P1K-3 and it has been starting for me. It is parked inside my shop but when I went to use it a couple of days ago, it was -5* inside the shop and -12* outside. I started my rig and yes she did crank over for probably close to a minute but then started. I let it warm up for 3-4 minutes and then headed up to my son's house across the snow covered fields about a half a mile away. I went inside and played with the grandchildren for about a half an hour and when I came out, it started just fine but I had lost my power steering.

I'm going to add a second battery as I do have issues when I'm plowing snow and try to raise the plow/winch at the same time that I am backing up.

I lost my power steering on a couple of cold starts yesterday too. I was able to get it back by running the machine for a few minutes and restarting it.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello everyone......I should have listened... I was told to expect issues starting the 2017 Honda 1000 Pioneer. It’s true, it would turn over but wouldn’t start until I put heaters around it...stopped at the dealer today and only got it’s really cold out and not too surprised. They do have the extra battery option or a better gel battery with more cranking power (which seems to be the way there going) over the extra battery...anyone got any ideas? Has anyone use gas deicer? Can’t warm the bike up on the lake ice-fishing. Thanks

Have you ever thought about a battery trickle charger? I use a battery tender Jr and have no problems.

Reactions: Xw01708 and swsebek
J

JTW

I lost my power steering on a couple of cold starts yesterday too. I was able to get it back by running the machine for a few minutes and restarting it.
Do you think that could have been due to the hard turns with the steering wheel at full tilt causing the steering motor safety to kick in?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you think that could have been due to the hard turns with the steering wheel at full tilt causing the steering motor safety to kick in?

Not in my situation. Just turning in the yard and driving out across the fields.

Reactions: Xw01708 and JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ha. I did have the safety kick in once. But twice the wheels were straight and the light came on at start up.

Reactions: Xw01708 and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!