2017 Pioneer 1000 Hard start issues

H

hunt18

Oct 29, 2022
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 currently has about 1700 miles and is having starting issues(may take up to 30 secs to crank) only when the motor is cold. The issue has progressively gotten worse over the past couple months. It also has issues taking throttle if you mash the pedal hard. So far I have installed a new air filter, new spark plugs, cleaned spark arrestor, new batteries, new idle air control valve, valves have been adjusted and new fuel pump installed. I am at a total loss. If you spray just a little either in the throttle body when cranking cold it will fire the first time. All help/advice is appreciated.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
An introduction would have been a better way to start.
Saying "HI, this is me, this is my ride" with pics and such.
You know, like these guys did here. 👍
Yes, I just poked you in the ribs and said
"Hey, we like to know who we are helping." 🤪
After everything you said you have done, an off the wall question, but did you try any injector cleaner? Seems like about the only thing you haven't changed.
Here is better help then me.
The search bar above works VERY well.
IF you can guess the right wording to search for. haha
I searched for "1000 cold start" and found many threads that might help you.
Have a good day

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
For cold start the intake air temp and coolant temp sensors should read the same cold. Your dealer can check them in a couple of minutes with the Honda tester. After warm up in a few minutes the intake air won't change much but the coolant sensor will change a lot. I was testing cars and at around 70 degrees they both would read around 3 volts. After warmup the coolant sensor would drop to less then 1 volt. If the coolant temp sensor is off by around 1/2 a volt it may not be rich enough to start. If you disconnect the coolant temp sensor the computer will keep enriching the mixture until it starts them go to a warmed up reading.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 currently has about 1700 miles and is having starting issues(may take up to 30 secs to crank) only when the motor is cold. The issue has progressively gotten worse over the past couple months. It also has issues taking throttle if you mash the pedal hard. So far I have installed a new air filter, new spark plugs, cleaned spark arrestor, new batteries, new idle air control valve, valves have been adjusted and new fuel pump installed. I am at a total loss. If you spray just a little either in the throttle body when cranking cold it will fire the first time. All help/advice is appreciated.
welcome from Ohio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!