BOX1

P700m4 2017 SXS 700 m4 won't start, has no spark

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just got this 700 SXS and I can't get it running because it has no spark. I tested the positive side of the coil and it does have voltage and I tested the negative side of the coil and it's not giving me any reading, if anybody can help me with this would be greatly appreciated

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the once Great State of Michigan now run by Radical Leftist!

What year and Mileage?
How are you checking spark, with a spark tester or just the readings your taking from your coil?
Also Are you checking it with a new plug?
I cant confirm on these, but on my standby generators you check the coil by ohms reading, not voltage. Then you check it after you set the gap to the flywheel. All this can be found in the service manual in the resource's menu on this site. If u become a life/supporting member ypu can access it free.

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Appreciate all the help. I don't think it's the coil. I think it might be the computer maybe or the pickup. I traced the wire from the coil to the computer and it had continuity. I don't know how to check the wire coming out of the stator or how to own it out or anything. I'm wondering can I take a computer off of a four-wheeler that has the same plugs on it and try to plug it in without messing it up? Anybody know that I think the four wheeler is about the same age. I think it's a rancher. Also, my brother's got a form and it looks like it might have one of them computers on that might work but I don't want to plug something in and burn anything else up so if anybody knows that would be great. Appreciate it all the help though. I'm still trying to figure this thing out

Reactions: Smitty335
dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's a 2017 and it's got less than 100 miles on it, it's been mudded though there's been mudden places that I didn't know there was places. I don't know how to check the pulse generator. Do you know how or what wires?

H

HondaTech

Appreciate all the help. I don't think it's the coil. I think it might be the computer maybe or the pickup. I traced the wire from the coil to the computer and it had continuity. I don't know how to check the wire coming out of the stator or how to own it out or anything. I'm wondering can I take a computer off of a four-wheeler that has the same plugs on it and try to plug it in without messing it up? Anybody know that I think the four wheeler is about the same age. I think it's a rancher. Also, my brother's got a form and it looks like it might have one of them computers on that might work but I don't want to plug something in and burn anything else up so if anybody knows that would be great. Appreciate it all the help though. I'm still trying to figure this thing out
The only PCM that will work for sure is another P700 of similar year.

Without a peak voltage tester or ignition tester it's impossible to read pulse coil output or coil output.

You can read resistance on the 2 pulse coil wires.

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got like 12 volts going to one but the other one doesn't fluctuate. It's cranking over, I was under the impression that I could put a test light on one and check it and if I had 12 bolts it was good and if I put it on the other one with the wire on the positive cable I should get a flash in light when I spun it over but I got nothing, any thoughts on that? Appreciate the help

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got like 12 volts going to one but the other one doesn't fluctuate. It's cranking over, I was under the impression that I could put a test light on one and check it and if I had 12 bolts it was good and if I put it on the other one with the wire on the positive cable I should get a flash in light when I spun it over but I got nothing, any thoughts on that? Appreciate the help
To be clear...
The positive side of the coil should have battery voltage and/or light up a test light as bright as direct to the battery. The negative side will also likely show voltage, albeit reduced.

What you want to do to check for signal is connect the test light to battery POSITIVE and the ground side of the coil while cranking the engine. The test light should flash or a DVOM will pulse (this test is easier with a test light, TBH). That's the PCM grounding the coil to fire it.
If you have both voltage at positive and the flashing on negative, but no spark, the coil is bad. If no flashing/pulsing on negative, then...probably wiring or a crank sensor bad.

Reactions: FJC 79
dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah I don't have nothing on the negative side. I do got the 12 volts on the positive side of the coil, so is there a way I can test the crank sensor itself so I can eliminate the computer? Also, could I just run the wire from the crank sensor to the negative side of the coil to see if I get spark like that or does it have to go through the computer? I appreciate your help. Where is the crank sensor located at on this thing?

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can anybody tell me how to get to the pulse generator and how to check it? I'm still working on this thing. I ain't heard no response from nobody in a couple of days. I'm wondering if y'all are getting this or if I'm doing something wrong while I'm replying, any help would be greatly appreciated, or at least let me know that you're reading this and can see it. Thanks!

H

HondaTech

Can anybody tell me how to get to the pulse generator and how to check it? I'm still working on this thing. I ain't heard no response from nobody in a couple of days. I'm wondering if y'all are getting this or if I'm doing something wrong while I'm replying, any help would be greatly appreciated, or at least let me know that you're reading this and can see it. Thanks!

The pulse generator is inside the engine, next to the flywheel. The stator plug coming out of the rear of the engine should also have 2 wires for the pulse generator.

Those should have atleat .7v when cranking, but you'll need a peak volatge adapter/tester or ignitionmate tester to read. A DMM can't react fast enough to catch the spike.

You can also read resistance between those wires on the engine side to see if it's open/shorted to ground. If the pulse generator is bad, you'll need to replace the stator as well.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got this 700 SXS and I can't get it running because it has no spark. I tested the positive side of the coil and it does have voltage and I tested the negative side of the coil and it's not giving me any reading, if anybody can help me with this would be greatly appreciated
Check for a sticking throttle cable. These buggies will not start with an open throttle. I believe the possibility of a bad cable can be eliminated by simply unplugging the TPS and see if it'll start and idle. @HondaTech can maybe verify this for you.

Reactions: CID and FJC 79
dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
No the throttle cable is fine. A couple of times I turned it on in the dash light stayed on even after I cut it off. I thought it might have been sticking relay but I'm beginning to think it might be the computer but it definitely doesn't have no spark. It's got 12 volts on one side of the coil but on the other side it's not doing anything so I think it's either the computer or the pulse generator but I don't know how to test them. If somebody can tell me how to test them that would be great

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics of machine

suggestion.

almost 6 years old, less than 100 miles, always more to the story, this thing swamped, wrecked, etc...?

-battery tested and good?

-HT said check for open and ground on PG wires

with zero spark, dash staying on, id start scouring the harnesses for damage for now - pita

H

HondaTech

No the throttle cable is fine. A couple of times I turned it on in the dash light stayed on even after I cut it off. I thought it might have been sticking relay but I'm beginning to think it might be the computer but it definitely doesn't have no spark. It's got 12 volts on one side of the coil but on the other side it's not doing anything so I think it's either the computer or the pulse generator but I don't know how to test them. If somebody can tell me how to test them that would be great

Stuck displays are usually a relay sticking due to low battery voltage

I've seen it multiple times.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The older 700's have known key switch problems.
Display staying on is one of them.
Bad switch

Others
- hard starting,
- starting on its own, no key
And before you say, "I was not in any water that deep."
Neither was that one.
Have a good day

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm going to check the ignition switch later today, I've checked the wiring harness and everything appears to be good. I checked continuity to the computer and to the coil and to the pickup and to the computer. I would just like to somehow figure out how to narrow it down to either the pulse generator or the computer before I buy parts. I'm leaning towards computer but I don't want to buy it in cases, the pulse generator or to pick up or whatever you want to call it. If anybody can give me a short fire way of telling which one it is that would be great

dgystyle

dgystyle

Mar 10, 2023
Reva,va
Ownership

1. 700-4
When I first got it, I checked it and checked it and checked it and found that it's got two wires coming off the coil. The one on the lower plug had a little bit of sparked. The one on the upper plug had no spark so I switched the coil with one that I had. It only had one wire on it and it fired up and ran for a little bit but now it doesn't do nothing . And now I'm not getting no spark on either coil so I don't know if I mess something up or if it had the problem before. Messed with it, but I didn't think switching the coil with another one would do anything to hurt it, but the devil coil only had spark coming off the lower plug and nothing off the top plug. And before I switch schools it was just backfire a little bit every now and then not fire up and I switched coils and it fired up. But now it has positive side of your coil and nothing on the negative side. I checked the wire going from the call all the way up to the computer and it's good and I check the wire going from the pickup all the way up to the computer and it's good but I don't know what the readings are supposed to be on the pickup and I don't know how to test the computer. I also heard there's a way to pull codes on these things without having a scanner. Something about crossing a wire somewhere or something like that but I don't know how to do that either. If somebody know it can tell me how to do that that would be great. I appreciate all the help in advance. Thanks!

Reactions: DG Rider and FJC 79
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!