Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I just got mine back from fab shop. I sheered off the sway bar pad that took part of one of the tubes as well. Stock frame with the Eibach bar and they do give you a good mounts. The frame shop said it was a sheer not a slow bend. It was in an off road desert race and the way it beat up the pipe and area around it must have sheered early in the race as I did not see it till I broke and new bead lock wheel that I was changing it. Sorting out what will take the racing. Picture is after the fix. If you are running that hard check your front upper A arms. They are a weak point and you will see the upper arm bends up. Was a bummer I really like the course.

View attachment 306001
Yeah my upper A arms are bent up.
L&W fab quit building the Talon x upper A arms. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
i already have the lowers and have no desire to put forward A arms on an x4 because of turning radius.

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah my upper A arms are bent up.
L&W fab quit building the Talon x upper A arms. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
i already have the lowers and have no desire to put forward A arms on an x4 because of turning radius.
Did L&W quit making them or just selling them separately?

They still show the full kit on their website, will they not sell the uppers without the lowers?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Did L&W quit making them or just selling them separately?

They still show the full kit on their website, will they not sell the uppers without the lowers?
I called them and got told “they are no longer making them”

• Dislike
Reactions: Smitty335 and PaulF
N

nlbarber

Nov 23, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I also have the DRF Bed extender, 32” tire and a couple (stacked) of the 3 gallon rotopax containers attached. Additionally, I have the shock therapy springs and valving on my 2021 1000R Live Valve. While washing it today, I noticed that the paint was cracked on the rear subframe. Not 100% sure what the cause is, but could be the weight or the new springs or a combination. See attached photos. Regardless, I am going to have it welded with a thicker bead. Do y’all know if the frame is chromolly? I believe I read it was and I don’t think it can just be welded with regular carbon steel techniques. Chromolly usually has to be pre-heated and heat stressed after the weld is complete. Looking for any input in the welding or if anyone has noticed paint cracking at that location. Thank you.

9E047958 7610 4BD9 8536 029E7BF72224 0E7BB1DB 4765 4588 A450 8894980FE135

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
N

nlbarber

Nov 23, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Frame can be welded conventionally. There are no special procedures to weld on it. It's thin as paper so I don't recommend preheating it unless you want to blow holes in it with the welder...
That is good news. Thank you for the input.

N

nlbarber

Nov 23, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
From the looks of the skid plate it seems you've bottomed out pretty good, maybe hard enough to bend something?
I would agree by the looks but those scuffs were done by sliding over rocks some larger rocks I believe. They were up from the area of the cracking; that is why I am concerned it was caused by the weight on the rear. Was curious if anyone else had that concern.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would agree by the looks but those scuffs were done by sliding over rocks some larger rocks I believe. They were up from the area of the cracking; that is why I am concerned it was caused by the weight on the rear. Was curious if anyone else had that concern.

Cant say for sure if the weight you're carrying is what caused that bend, I'm carrying similar weight back there and don't have that particular issue.

cshluver

cshluver

May 30, 2019
Loveland CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
7500 miles three breaks
Have been running Double E racing sway bar for about 5k miles. LOVE it. I run everything from high-speed washes to Poison spider, wipe out and all the other crazy stuff. I never disconnect the links GussetFrame break

HOWEVER, the frame is prone to breaking at the sway bar gussets. Get a Raceco sway bar frame brace immediately. which I believe everybody should have.
After your frame breaks (mine broke in three spots) contact me and I'll hook you up with my custom gusset .

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
7500 miles three breaks
Have been running Double E racing sway bar for about 5k miles. LOVE it. I run everything from high-speed washes to Poison spider, wipe out and all the other crazy stuff. I never disconnect the links View attachment 364955View attachment 364956

HOWEVER, the frame is prone to breaking at the sway bar gussets. Get a Raceco sway bar frame brace immediately. which I believe everybody should have.
After your frame breaks (mine broke in three spots) contact me and I'll hook you up with my custom gusset .
How much for a pair of those gussets? Nice work 👍🏼

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Figured I'd post this here as well........

Can anybody explain to me how the Raceco part keeps the frame from cracking? I'm not knocking Raceco at all, I run a bunch of Jamie's stuff, but I can't see how that cures the frame cracking. I can see how it prevents the sway bar mounts from cracking and breaking off though.....

In my non professional opinion, I think these frames crack in those spots because the rear half of the frame flexes up and down while riding because it basically has zero support. The two tiny tubes that crack run from the rear bulkhead up to the B pillar cross bar and are the only two tubes that support the entire rear of the chassis. The stock "rollcage" does zero to support the rear section of the chassis in that respect because it's only held on with (4) 6mm bolts off the back of the frame. Aftermarket cages that bolt on to that same spot with no other rear supports are just as useless in regards to frame flex and cracking. Had Honda mounted the tubes to the top of the rear section of frame in the bed it would have helped with chassis flex a ton. I noticed this potential problem immediately after taking the plastics and bed off my Talon when I went to start my short course build. My solution to the problem was to cut all the tubes under the bed off, replace those with DOM tube of various thickness and size, and then tie the rear down bars of my cage directly into the frame. I raced the entire 2021 season of the Texas Outlaw short course Series and had no frame cracking issues to speak of.

20200907 214437

20200907 214417

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I'm wondering why we haven't seen this on the our XC car. 🤔

We've ripped the sway bar mount off, but those tubes haven't been an issue yet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!