H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Eibach springs made a huge improvement. I run with the swaybar now.

I marked the bearing cups and so far no problem. I inspect them every 200 miles. If the bearing cup turns its time to get both U-joint bearing cups spot welded. If I’m way out and have a bearing cup failure I carry a saw to cut the driveshaft in half so I can pull it forward off the sub trans. I can then drive it out in 2WD without the drive shaft turning. There is room to cut it through the coolant drain hole in the skid plate.

I installed a under roof air filter snorkel when new. Mt pre filter is still ok.

Marked2
Marked3
Marked4
U jointMark
U jointmark1

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks Hondabob for the information but using the Dycem will work if the cup works out gradually suddenly. In the past have the cups failed gradually or suddenly? I like the ideas about the saw to remove the shaft and go to 2WD to get back to civilization. Just my thoughts.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
The Eibach springs made a huge improvement. I run with the swaybar now.

I marked the bearing cups and so far no problem. I inspect them every 200 miles. If the bearing cup turns its time to get both U-joint bearing cups spot welded. If I’m way out and have a bearing cup failure I carry a saw to cut the driveshaft in half so I can pull it forward off the sub trans. I can then drive it out in 2WD without the drive shaft turning. There is room to cut it through the coolant drain hole in the skid plate.

I installed a under roof air filter snorkel when new. Mt pre filter is still ok.

View attachment 306450View attachment 306451View attachment 306452View attachment 306453View attachment 306454
As always , a great write up . Thanks Bob

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Forgot to mention you will need a 9 inch saw blade. My buddy had a bearing cup come out in around 300 miles on his 2021 Talon. My 2019 Talon went 15,000 miles and had lots of play where the C clip wore into the yoke. Both replacement drive shafts lost a bearing cup in less then 3,000 miles. I had the forth one spot welded before my dealer installed it. I was close to camp with both bearing cup failures but it sucks to drive slow for a couple of miles. There will be a lot of banging but its still driveable. It took 3 miles at about 10 mph to damage the yokes.

U joint5
U joint2

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I a not seeing any c-clips in the pictures and I don't see them when I look at my Talon. Where are they? Thanks

Reactions: toddvdh
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not seeing any c-clips in the pictures and I don't see them when I look at my Talon. Where are they? Thanks
PaulF did a breakdown of the failures in another thread with some great photos and explanations of what's happening.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 2020 Talon is at 4,600 and some miles now and no drive shaft problems. I check to see if the bearing caps are turning every few hundred miles. One of the guys has a bearing cap turning on his 4 seat Talon. I expect the U-joint problem is still small but it doesn't hurt to mark the bearing cups, there is 3 U-joints on the 4 seat model.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!