DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I add one directly off the negative post on the battery to the frame, another from the engine to a spot above the existing main ground cluster on the frame.
You need to add some directly to the ecm grounds just down from the connector to the ecm. There should be 3. The ecm is what's flipping out here, and I suspect the grounding to it is the issue. Personally, I wouldn't go directly to the battery negative (I read somewhere that this wasn't recommended), but down on the frame, preferably the rear half where the existing grounds have good contact. I combined all 3 into 1 eyelet, and used a nut on the backside of one of the existing ground bolts.

What you've done isn't a bad ideal IMO, but it doesn't really address the potential that the ground path to the ecm is janky.

Mine could do it tomorrow...but enough time has passed that I'm calling it fixed. For the record, I still have only the factory ground cable from the battery, though I'd like to add more...

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to add some directly to the ecm grounds just down from the connector to the ecm. There should be 3. The ecm is what's flipping out here, and I suspect the grounding to it is the issue. Personally, I wouldn't go directly to the battery negative (I read somewhere that this wasn't recommended), but down on the frame, preferably the rear half where the existing grounds have good contact. I combined all 3 into 1 eyelet, and used a nut on the backside of one of the existing ground bolts.

What you've done isn't a bad ideal IMO, but it doesn't really address the potential that the ground path to the ecm is janky.

Mine could do it tomorrow...but enough time has passed that I'm calling it fixed. For the record, I still have only the factory ground cable from the battery, though I'd like to add more...

@Slackjaw should do this also

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
30 miles later and it started puking again. I got a new battery today, I’ll install it and root around on some wiring tomorrow.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
30 miles later and it started puking again. I got a new battery today, I’ll install it and root around on some wiring tomorrow.

Have you replaced your headlights?
I'm birddogging a theory.

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
No, have not replaced headlights. Here is another wiring diagram for 2021 700.

Attachments

• ML.RVX34spx.HL31423024005A.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 29
advertisement
J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
When my machine does a hard downshift before it dies has me thinking it has to do with the electronic shifting on my deluxe model. Does this dying problem occur on non deluxe machines?

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
Two weeks since I replace stock battery with a larger ( physical size ) one with higher CCAs. This morning it is 16° and for the first time ever my pioneer started right up at this low temperature! Also; It has not died on me since the replacement. I’m hoping that I have resolved two issue at once, but I’m not convinced about the dying bit being permanent quite yet.

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
Two weeks since I replace stock battery with a larger ( physical size ) one with higher CCAs. This morning it is 16° and for the first time ever my pioneer started right up at this low temperature! Also; It has not died on me since the replacement. I’m hoping that I have resolved two issue at once, but I’m not convinced about the dying bit being permanent quite yet.
Just an added note, the stock battery Honda put into my Pioneer 700 was the same size battery they put into my 2004 2 wheel drive Honda Rancher. How can they think a 4 wheel drive side by side with ES + EPS and an engine twice the size of the Rancher will function properly with the same battery?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just an added note, the stock battery Honda put into my Pioneer 700 was the same size battery they put into my 2004 2 wheel drive Honda Rancher. How can they think a 4 wheel drive side by side with ES + EPS and an engine twice the size of the Rancher will function properly with the same battery?
That's a good question for the engineers of the Pioneer but my guess it's a money thing.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!