P1000 2022 P 1000-3 a arm m12 bolts

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I wanted to pass along some information on my P1000. The lower driver front a arm started to rattle. I originally thought it was the ball joint but quickly found it was a loose M12bolt. So..... I removed both lower a arms to see if I egged out the existing brackets. Thank goodness I did not.

The driver and passenger bracket holes measured 12.5 mm. Not sure why Honda would go an extra 0.5 mm

I ended up reinstalling everything and torqueing down to spec (47ft#) and calling it a day but I may actually beef up the existing brackets with 12mm Weld washers. That will be a lot stronger than stock.

Lessons learned: Check you suspension periodically & do a pre/ post ride check.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I area I was riding consisted of 40 miles of hard lime rock. I beat the crap out of the buggy. I guess the M12 bolts vibrated loose. I reduced my tire pressure to 8 psi to to cushion the ride.

Deer season just ended so I have a few months before turkey season to upgrade the suspension. I'm going to remove my lift and add fox shocks, 814's, or Elka stage 1,2 not sure.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics of machine - we like pics

my spider sense says maybe something else is the problem, IF it was tight to start with, 40 miles is nothing, I've never seen a self lok nut like these back out unless theres bad threads, etc....or you think it was never tight to begin with?

does .5mm clearance seems reasonable for that bolt?

what year, how many miles on machine, what else has been modified up front, was that bolt ever out, etc......

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think over the life of the vehicle the nuts slowly backed out. I do spray the joints down with WD-40 after cleaning so that may have facilitated it backing out. I will keep an eye on it and stop spraying it down.

The buggy has 257 miles and I did remove the tire & hub to install new a-arms but they did not fit a 2022 model. I did loosen the top a-arms then realized they did not fit ( i.e 22 has two brackets 21 had one long bolt with one bracket) I don't think I loosened the lower.

I don't like the 0.5 mm oversize but Honda engineers designed that clearance for a reason. I may remedy that if it becomes a problem

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you set the distance between the shock eyelets before torturing?

The lower bushings need preloaded.
Does this merely mean to tighten with vehicle weight on wheels or do the shocks need to be compressed to middle of travel before tightening?

Reactions: Buggyman
H

HondaTech

Does this merely mean to tighten with vehicle weight on wheels or do the shocks need to be compressed to middle of travel before tightening?

There is a spec in the manual to set the eyelet to eyelet distance and then torque the hardware. You remove the shock all together.

Atleats that's the way the 2021 and older models were, im not sure if the 2022 is the same.

Reactions: Buggyman and ODAMO
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a spec in the manual to set the eyelet to eyelet distance and then torque the hardware. You remove the shock all together.

Atleats that's the way the 2021 and older models were, im not sure if the 2022 is the same.
85327138 3268 431F BEC5 74F9A1013219
I see it in the book now. Good to know. My shock length is 18.375 as it sits from the factory. And I have about 3.5-4” of droop so it sounds like they want it torqued about mid travel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!