23 R4 LV - Battery

Honda4lifeKS

Honda4lifeKS

Feb 16, 2024
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
So I'm hearing that ya gotta keep a good battery in these to make sure the DCT and LV function properly. Is a small bumper light bar, pods, large upper bar, led whips and a soundbar too much for single OEM battery, if so is there a better battery to get? Thanks

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I'm hearing that ya gotta keep a good battery in these to make sure the DCT and LV function properly. Is a small bumper light bar, pods, large upper bar, led whips and a soundbar too much for single OEM battery, if so is there a better battery to get? Thanks
Why not just add a second battery, you're probably ok with those in accessories for now pending they're not drawing that much juice (amps) but for as cheap as a secondary battery is, it's good insurance. Do you have a wench? Definitely recommend adding a second battery if you have or plan on adding a wench 👍

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
As long as you're not running them all at the same time with the buggy off, you'll be OK. Personally, I'd add that AUX battery and isolator, but that's just me.

Reactions: Honda4lifeKS
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Get an in dash digital voltmeter, it'll let you know what's happening. Might as well get a dual vm so you're ready for an aux battery. Available in the club store.

Standing voltage -

Running but is usually above 14 volts -

Honda4lifeKS

Honda4lifeKS

Feb 16, 2024
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Why not just add a second battery, you're probably ok with those in accessories for now pending they're not drawing that much juice (amps) but for as cheap as a secondary battery is, it's good insurance. Do you have a wench? Definitely recommend adding a second battery if you have or plan on adding a wench 👍
No winch, yet. Haven't heard about a 2nd battery yet. Where do those usually go?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
No winch, yet. Haven't heard about a 2nd battery yet. Where do those usually go?
There's an easy to install aftermarket battery tray available but it puts the battery directly behind the radiator. There are two problems with that - 1. Heat kills batteries. 2. I have the EMP storage container in that spot.

Others have put the battery on the frame under the exhaust, there's plenty of room but be sure to use ample heat shielding there. I put mine behind the plastic firewall, under the dash cowl but Honda put the Live Valve electronics there, you'd have to relocate those and cut the brackets that they're mounted to.

There might be room under the back seat, I'm not familiar with the 4 seater.

Here's how I mounted my aux battery -

This will give you an idea on the spot under the exhaust - (too far from the winch for a 4 seater, IMO)

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Turn everything on and check the voltmeter in the display at idle and around 3,000 rpm. The 2013 Talon has a larger alternator, the voltage should be around 13.8 to 14.5 volts. Most of the time the while driving the rpm will be 4,000 rpm and up.

Reactions: Honda4lifeKS
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If your adding that many accessories I would highly look at an accessory controller. It makes wiring accessories a breeze it handles the relay and power for you. Some units also handle the ground side if it doesn't adding a ground bus bar is easy.

Look at Auxbeam, Voswitch, Garmin, Trigger there are others.

I'm partial to Garmin it uses an app and let's you customize the channels, see your battery voltage and amp draw in real time.

I have the Trigger on another sxs, great unit wireless switches, handles power and ground but proprietary connectors.

I helped wire in a Voswitch on a Talon 4 R its a solid unit the buttons are customizable for strobe (turn signals), momentary this was used for the wiper and sprayer.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is a small bumper light bar, pods, large upper bar, led whips and a soundbar too much for single OEM battery
Yes!
Get a second battery set up (find tons of them in the search and peoples builds)
and put all your accessories on it. Keep the stock one for all the things the rig came off the showroom floor with.

Reactions: CID
advertisement