P500 24" tires

D

DaveinWV

May 24, 2024
WV
Ownership

1. 520
Other than less ground clearance what's the downside to the 24" tire size 520s come with? If I go up to 25" tires I keep reading, go wider with spacers or extension rims. Besides cost, there is the possibility of more strain on the wheel bearings with a wider stance. I would need to install fender flares.
The trail riding I do is while hunting and there are no really offside angles and only steep inclines that are straight ahead. I have ridden ATVs for years and do not ride aggressive terrain. Getting deer out can have wind fallen trees and branches to overcome BUT I have a winch so I can either get over them OR drag the deer carcass to me. The only downside to 24" size tires is the small selection. I put more miles riding on secondary asphalt and gravel roads and plowing in the Winter. A durable all terrain tire suits my needs. I hate to admit it but SunF tires are looking like my best choice in 24" tires.
Thoughts?

Reactions: 500oneer
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMHO…run the stockers until you can’t. Then buy something that suits your budget and needs. If you know the risks of a higher center of gravity running taller tires without spacers…you’ll be fine. Or you’ll have a P5 take a dirt nap and have to winch it back up onto its wheels.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
there is the possibility of more strain on the wheel bearings with a wider stance
Yes mainly in autos. In UTVs not much if any at all. The weight of the rig isnt enough to make that happen unless your doing some pretty severe stuff. You have one of the lightest utvs of all so u can take this thought off your radar. Your over thinking/reading too much about it.
Expample, i had 27’s with spacers on my P5 and trail rode it like crazy. Never had those issues. Have them on my P1 since 16’ and Talon. Both of which are much heavier rigs and none of those issues. Fender flairs Id recommend with any set up even on stock.
Thoughts?
For what you’re doing, I’d go with the bigger tires. By once cry once.😉
Post pics of it when you’re done
POIDH

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@DaveinWV fyi, wheels with different offset or spacers like the question you had in your other thread, won’t make any difference for either one for ware. In the end you’re still achieving the same goal for the tires

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Other than less ground clearance what's the downside to the 24" tire size 520s come with? If I go up to 25" tires I keep reading, go wider with spacers or extension rims. Besides cost, there is the possibility of more strain on the wheel bearings with a wider stance. I would need to install fender flares.
The trail riding I do is while hunting and there are no really offside angles and only steep inclines that are straight ahead. I have ridden ATVs for years and do not ride aggressive terrain. Getting deer out can have wind fallen trees and branches to overcome BUT I have a winch so I can either get over them OR drag the deer carcass to me. The only downside to 24" size tires is the small selection. I put more miles riding on secondary asphalt and gravel roads and plowing in the Winter. A durable all terrain tire suits my needs. I hate to admit it but SunF tires are looking like my best choice in 24" tires.
Thoughts?
Bigger tires can have a little more cushion to them. If you’re going to plow a couple inches of clearance is welcome. I like the maxxis bighorn 2. They are soft and I have about 8,000 miles on mine. The sunfs are too stiff for me.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I put sunf turf tires on my p5 for street and dirt road driving. Good value. As far as fender extenders if you only go up one size tire 25' s you are still inside the existing fenders. Anymore than that I believe you would want fender extensions.

Reactions: DaveinWV
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thoughts?
I ran 26x9x12 tires all the way around, no spacers for 5 years on my P500 no issues. Added a little ground clearance and much better traction without slinging mud everywhere.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Tire cost isn't in the thought process "within reason".
I can recommend either the Tusk Terrabyte or Trilobyte tires in 27x9x12 if you want to run OEM rims like I did. These tires run small in the 26-26.5 height size. The Trilobyte tread is a BigHorn 2.0 copy that offers a good ride and good all around traction. I ran 3 sets of them over 12 k miles on my 2018 P1K, I did only get 3-4 K miles on them per set, but they performed / handled well.

If your are considering swapping to 14" rims on the 4x110mm bolt pattern then the above also work as well (with 14" rims dia) and the BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM3 UTV tires in 27x9x14. I'm currently running these on my '24 P1K and with a 1000 miles on them really happy with the ride, traction, and what appears to be long tread life.

RMATV Tires

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Putting taller tires on a P5 and not spreading the stance is not smart IMO. It's tippy already and you're just making it worse. Any machine and especially the P5 is more capable with added stability.
Consider some 26's on 12" wheels and 1" spacers on all four with stock wheels. Or get aftermarket wheels with a 5+2 offset. There's no difference to the strain put on components either way. If you go with a stiff tire you're going to get a stiff ride and it won't handle as well.

advertisement