P1000 29 miles and just 3 bars on gas gauge

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I heard some comment on the extreme gas milage, now, I'm experiencing the same.

I have been riding in H most of the time, even when going on slow, less than 20mph trails. I just tried out L today and it does help reduce shifting so much that it does in H. But, since L is higher rpm most of the time, that probably uses even more fuel.

With just 29 miles on this puppy this is obviously my first tank of gas. Will things get any better?

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I find myself in low manual or high auto sport mode when riding or just high auto when just casually cruising. The top of the tank seems to go faster than the bottom... I’d suggest filling it all the way up (you can force feed it some) and carry a small reserve to truly get a feel for what you can expect out of it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
29 miles.. Your just breaking it in and learning to get the fill. Get to 200 miles and you will claim it's a different machine. Because it smoothes out and you will smooth out with it. Meaning, learning its ways and controlling it better.
We can do a full days ride at royal blue on one tank. I think we pushed 80+ miles on that tank. Mostly in high gear trail riding. Only filled up because we were at the gas station. We could have made it back to camp. I normally over fill also just to get that extra drop.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last trip to Windrock/Royal Blue I rode 175miles and used less than 10gallons to refill total. That was topping it off and rocking it to get air out. 2 bars left is at least 2gallons probably closer to 2.5.

Marksir

Marksir

Mar 23, 2016
Montana

I have been riding in H most of the time, even when going on slow, less than 20mph trails. I just tried out L today and it does help reduce shifting so much that it does in H. But, since L is higher rpm most of the time, that probably uses even more fuel.

With just 29 miles on this puppy this is obviously my first tank of gas. Will things get any better?
The gas gauge on my 16 never shows full, it is always 1 or two bars down when fuel is in the filler neck, might take a close look at the guage the next time you fill her up.

Reactions: ZeroG and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The gas gauge on my 16 never shows full, it is always 1 or two bars down when fuel is in the filler neck, might take a close look at the guage the next time you fill her up.
If you keep trail riding in high things will get worse ( clutches ) unless your trail are faster. My gas gauge is correct, it holds 9. something gallons bone dry, I do believe they have a built in reserve. With two bars showing I can get about seven gallons in it.

Reactions: ZeroG
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will say I don’t fully trust my gauge. Sometimes I can use half a talk (based on the gauge) in a matter of minutes and others my gauge seems to never move. I wouldn’t sweat the gas at this point. It would be very hard to burn an entire tank of gas trail riding in a day. Now if you were on grave roads or asphalt running high speeds I would think it would burn through a lot faster. Either way, go out and enjoy your machine. The more you use it the more you will know about it and gain confidence and comfortability with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. Hoping it warms up so I can get in a little more trail riding. Wanting to do a little riding at Hatfield and McCoy in WV and maybe Rush off Road in KY before the RBB event. I'm READY for Spring!!!!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
29 miles.. Your just breaking it in and learning to get the fill. Get to 200 miles and you will claim it's a different machine. Because it smoothes out and you will smooth out with it. Meaning, learning its ways and controlling it better.
We can do a full days ride at royal blue on one tank. I think we pushed 80+ miles on that tank. Mostly in high gear trail riding. Only filled up because we were at the gas station. We could have made it back to camp. I normally over fill also just to get that extra drop.

Ditto, what @Hondasxs said, He and I covered 120 miles total that day in mountain trails of east TN, topped off after 80ish miles probably only put 3.5 gal in each or 1/2 tank.

Once broken in and tank properly full a 100 mile run in H on trails is entirely possible before dipping into the 1.9 gal reserve. When the gauge starts flashing E that when you are on your 1.9 gal reserve or really 1/4 tank of total capacity.

Reactions: ZeroG and JTW
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas gauge is a joke, don't go by it alone. When I'm on E, I still have 4 gals left.

Reactions: ZeroG and JTW
J

JTW

She milks it til it's dry. And I let her.
5F7054E9 B4D1 4DFE B417 9A9F6F3709E1

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Your gauge must be off. If your going 20 mph, you should got 100 mi per tank easy. What you could do if fill your tank to a level, ( like 1 in below the neck), run it 30-40 mi, then refill it to the same point, do the math check mileage, you should get 16-20 mpg. If that's the case your gauge is wrong, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. (I assume you just got it and under warranty)

Reactions: ZeroG
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
someguy said:
Your gauge must be off. If your going 20 mph, you should got 100 mi per tank easy. What you could do if fill your tank to a level, ( like 1 in below the neck), run it 30-40 mi, then refill it to the same point, do the math check mileage, you should get 16-20 mpg. If that's the case your gauge is wrong, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. (I assume you just got it and under warranty)

Good idea. Thx.
I should have said I can drive up to 20 at most on my properties trails. Most of the time I'm at 8 to 10mph. But your idea will work just the same. :)

Yes, it is under warranty. 1yr. I didn't purchase the extended warranty.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I never checked my mpg, but it always seemed to me my fuel lasted longer on trails than it does running gravel roads at moderate speeds, still not sure why. But as for filling the tank, you can always get more in if you use a fuel can. Gas pumps fill faster than the tank can vent so you think it's full and the guage will show it's full. With a gas pump it will fill the tank and throat, bubble and puke fuel as if it was full when you actually can add another gallon or more with a fuel can. At least that's how it is with my rig. I just fill it at the pump for convenience, then top it off with a fuel can to get 100% capacity.

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
J

JTW

I never checked my mpg, but it always seemed to me my fuel lasted longer on trails than it does running gravel roads at moderate speeds, still not sure why. But as for filling the tank, you can always get more in if you use a fuel can. Gas pumps fill faster than the tank can vent so you think it's full and the guage will show it's full. With a gas pump it will fill the tank and throat, bubble and puke fuel as if it was full when you actually can add another gallon or more with a fuel can. At least that's how it is with my rig. I just fill it at the pump for convenience, then top it off with a fuel can to get 100% capacity.
That’s why I cut a hole in the bottom of my tank... it vents so much faster now!

advertisement