P1000 29 miles and just 3 bars on gas gauge

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will say I don’t fully trust my gauge. Sometimes I can use half a talk (based on the gauge) in a matter of minutes and others my gauge seems to never move. I wouldn’t sweat the gas at this point. It would be very hard to burn an entire tank of gas trail riding in a day. Now if you were on grave roads or asphalt running high speeds I would think it would burn through a lot faster. Either way, go out and enjoy your machine. The more you use it the more you will know about it and gain confidence and comfortability with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. My rig will show one bar left and as a test to see how far I could go on "one bar", I carried a jerry can with me and ran the tank until empty. It ran so long on "one bar" that I forgot about the test. I ran about 3 hours (40 miles of asphalt stop and go) when I hit empty. My gas gauge is very forgiving on running out.

Reactions: ZeroG and JTW
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode some gravel roads and got up to 52 miles on the OD and gas gauge was down to one bar. I had to do some running on my trails, and remembered that the dealer topped off the tank when I bought, so maybe he didn't top it all the way ...or my gauge is really off. Anyway I filled a 5 gallon can and was only able to put in about 4.5 gallons before the tank topped off. So I had plenty of gas, but at one bar and the machine being new to me I was a bit nervous. LOL

Rbol121

Rbol121

Mar 3, 2018
Livonia, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gas gauge on my 16 never shows full, it is always 1 or two bars down when fuel is in the filler neck, might take a close look at the guage the next time you fill her up.
MIne does the same thing, anyone know the reason for this?? I can see the fuel all the way to the filler neck so stop there, and fuel gauge never shows full.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't looked in manual so does anyone know if these use a float? If so a slight bend to the arm can make it read correctly. Mine is still the same, about 4 gals left when it reads empty.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't looked in manual so does anyone know if these use a float? If so a slight bend to the arm can make it read correctly. Mine is still the same, about 4 gals left when it reads empty.
I've learned that the fuel gauge is pretty much useless. My advice is to carry a gas can with a gallon or two of fuel and run 'er until she dies, all the while making mental notes of your gauge levels and then go from there. As a general rule of thumb, these units are equipped with a WAAAAAY undersized fuel tank, so if you're planning on going for an all day ride, be sure to carry a couple extra gallons.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've learned that the fuel gauge is pretty much useless. My advice is to carry a gas can with a gallon or two of fuel and run 'er until she dies, all the while making mental notes of your gauge levels and then go from there. As a general rule of thumb, these units are equipped with a WAAAAAY undersized fuel tank, so if you're planning on going for an all day ride, be sure to carry a couple extra gallons.
Good advice. Rode Saturday almost 9 hours but only covered little over 30 miles. Rough trails.

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input guys.
I have filled up 3 times now. twice when at 2 bars and just today I only had one bar showing. Most I ever got in the tank was 4.7 gallons, that was today. So even at one bar I have 4.3 gallons still in the tank. Crazy.
Mine is a 2018 model and it does show all bars when full.