P1000 2nd battery and amp wiring

P

PalmettoFarmer

Aug 3, 2020
Providence, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of installing a second battery and a sound system currently. Im using the isolator from the store. Its been a while since I've wired up an amplifier, but i have a question. I used to always hook the amp ground within a few feet of the amp, which is what i was planning on doing on the pioneer.

As I was reading a few posts about 2nd battery wiring somebody asked if they could hook winch positive to auxiliary and negative to main. It was suggested to hook both to auxiliary because the winch would pull from both. This got me to thinking, if I ground amp to ROPS and positive to aux like i was planning, would it pull power from both batteries? My thinking is if i leave radio playing for a while and battery goes dead, no big deal, its just the aux and it will still crank. But I dont want it to kill both batteries in the middle of nowhere.

Yall suggest running amp ground all the way down to aux bat?

300 watt rms amp

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of installing a second battery and a sound system currently. Im using the isolator from the store. Its been a while since I've wired up an amplifier, but i have a question. I used to always hook the amp ground within a few feet of the amp, which is what i was planning on doing on the pioneer.

As I was reading a few posts about 2nd battery wiring somebody asked if they could hook winch positive to auxiliary and negative to main. It was suggested to hook both to auxiliary because the winch would pull from both. This got me to thinking, if I ground amp to ROPS and positive to aux like i was planning, would it pull power from both batteries? My thinking is if i leave radio playing for a while and battery goes dead, no big deal, its just the aux and it will still crank. But I dont want it to kill both batteries in the middle of nowhere.

Yall suggest running amp ground all the way down to aux bat?

300 watt rms amp
The grounds or negative side are all tied together and only the positive is isolated so the battery that you have your positive connected to will be supplying the power because of the isolator. You are doing it right in my opinion.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The grounds or negative side are all tied together and only the positive is isolated so the battery that you have your positive connected to will be supplying the power because of the isolator. You are doing it right in my opinion.
Correct, common ground is the frame so it doesn't matter which point you connect anything to ground, so long as it's a good ground. If the two battery positives are isolated one from the other, drawing current from either will not put a load on the other one. Only when you connect the positives will they behave as a single battery bank.

Reactions: Rayger143

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!