P1000 2nd Battery System Assistance

FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello. I'm new to powersports equipment. Earlier this year I purchased a 2021 1000-3 Deluxe w/ about 350 miles on it. It's an awesome machine! The original owner installed a winch, front light bar, rear lights, turn signals and a blue tooth speaker. He DID NOT install a 2nd battery system. I would like to get that done, but working full time and building a new house (I'm playing the part of the electrician) has my plate pretty full.

Is there anyone near mid-Michigan that's done it to their machine and would be interested in doing the install for me? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am in Ohio and willing to help. But I doubt it would be worth the time or money to drag to me.
I am sure there are other members near you that will offer assistance.
Can you share your zip code or nearest large city? Will be easier for your "locals" to find you.

FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am in Ohio and willing to help. But I doubt it would be worth the time or money to drag to me.
I am sure there are other members near you that will offer assistance.
Can you share your zip code or nearest large city? Will be easier for your "locals" to find you.
Thank you sir, I appreciate it. I'm between Lansing & Jackson. Thanks.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well, that depends on what you're looking for and what you have purchased already (if anything).

Are you wanting someone to come to you?
Are you wanting to haul it somewhere else?
Are you wanting to work on it together or just have someone else do it for you?
Have you purchased anything for the job yet?
Is there a bottle of Knappogue Castle 16 Year Single Malt at the end of the rainbow? 🤣

>> I'm between Lansing & Jackson.

Mason? Dansville? Rives Junction? Eaton Rapids? You could be an hour+ away or 30 minutes away. I'm in Howell.

FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, that depends on what you're looking for and what you have purchased already (if anything).

Are you wanting someone to come to you?
Are you wanting to haul it somewhere else?
Are you wanting to work on it together or just have someone else do it for you?
Have you purchased anything for the job yet?
Is there a bottle of Knappogue Castle 16 Year Single Malt at the end of the rainbow? 🤣

>> I'm between Lansing & Jackson.

Mason? Dansville? Rives Junction? Eaton Rapids? You could be an hour+ away or 30 minutes away. I'm in Howell.

I would absolutely take it to someone. I live in Leslie. I will purchase whatever you recommend. Ive watched the Robert Sparre YT video. Thinking his parts list was a good one. Compensation for your time would be completely your choice. 😉

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club man from south central Illinois. Here is my 2 cents (real value is probably less than a penny). Go ahead and round up your parts, put some thought into it, map out your plan on paper as to where you want to place everything on the machine and either/ a: do a little at a time when you have a extra hour here or there/ or b: hold of until you have the time to do it. If you don't have the 12v electrical system knowledge or experience whatsoever then I get it, but if you do then doing it yourself will not only be a fun project but you will know everything about that system for future add on's or any service that may need done to it in the future. And from what I have learned about this awesome group here is that if you have a question along the way everyone here will bend over backwards to try and help you with a answer. (Some of us may fall while trying to bend though). I am getting ready to add the auxiliary electrical system to mine as well but kinda in the same boat, own and drive a semi over the road so only home on the weekends and trying to do some remodeling on the house, and keeping this needy ass semi road ready doesn't leave much time for Honda projects, but I'll get there. Good luck which ever way you choose to go about it

FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the club man from south central Illinois. Here is my 2 cents (real value is probably less than a penny). Go ahead and round up your parts, put some thought into it, map out your plan on paper as to where you want to place everything on the machine and either/ a: do a little at a time when you have a extra hour here or there/ or b: hold of until you have the time to do it. If you don't have the 12v electrical system knowledge or experience whatsoever then I get it, but if you do then doing it yourself will not only be a fun project but you will know everything about that system for future add on's or any service that may need done to it in the future. And from what I have learned about this awesome group here is that if you have a question along the way everyone here will bend over backwards to try and help you with a answer. (Some of us may fall while trying to bend though). I am getting ready to add the auxiliary electrical system to mine as well but kinda in the same boat, own and drive a semi over the road so only home on the weekends and trying to do some remodeling on the house, and keeping this needy ass semi road ready doesn't leave much time for Honda projects, but I'll get there. Good luck which ever way you choose to go about it

You‘re probably right. I was just trying to get it ready to blow snow this winter. Maybe one year at the new place with the walk behind won’t kill me. 😉

advertisement
Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You‘re probably right. I was just trying to get it ready to blow snow this winter. Maybe one year at the new place with the walk behind won’t kill me. 😉
Man I wouldn't sweat using it. We've had our 2016 1k5 since June of 2019. Bought it with right at 3000 miles on it and the only thing it had on it was the warn winch from the factory. Since I have added a top, windshield, a 40" 80 diode led light bar on front 2 4" 4 diode led pods on back turn signal/horn kit, and bazooka g2 double sided sound bar. Haven't got to add 2nd battery to ours yet. Anyways, we have spent many, many nights out riding till 1, 2, hell 3 in the morning running big light bar, jamming tunes and plenty of winching others, and ourselves (maybe once 🤣) out of the river bottom mud. We now have just over 20k miles on it and I just replaced the original factory battery 2 weekends ago. So I think you'll be fine to hold off until you have some time to do it. Sorry @Scoop wasn't trying to cost you a bottle of some good single malt!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You don't NEED a fire extinguisher until you NEED a fire extinguisher. Some folks go a lifetime without needing one. Some, not so much.

@FoggDogg, let me check my schedule and see what things look like. It will also depend upon how long it takes you to order and receive all your components.

Adding a second battery and isolator kit to a stock machine isn't that big of a deal. But if you're wanting to include a switched (key-on) fuse box, a Stinger or Cole Hersee relay, an always hot bussbar, and then move all the current connections (that your accessories get power from now) to the fuse box and busbar, that takes some effort and, obviously, more components, more supplies and more time - especially not knowing how good or bad the last owner wired things up.

If you want me to put a suggested parts list together for you, let me know.

FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You don't NEED a fire extinguisher until you NEED a fire extinguisher. Some folks go a lifetime without needing one. Some, not so much.

@FoggDogg, let me check my schedule and see what things look like. It will also depend upon how long it takes you to order and receive all your components.

Adding a second battery and isolator kit to a stock machine isn't that big of a deal. But if you're wanting to include a switched (key-on) fuse box, a Stinger or Cole Hersee relay, an always hot bussbar, and then move all the current connections (that your accessories get power from now) to the fuse box and busbar, that takes some effort and, obviously, more components, more supplies and more time - especially not knowing how good or bad the last owner wired things up.

If you want me to put a suggested parts list together for you, let me know.
PM sent. Thanks!

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello. I'm new to powersports equipment. Earlier this year I purchased a 2021 1000-3 Deluxe w/ about 350 miles on it. It's an awesome machine! The original owner installed a winch, front light bar, rear lights, turn signals and a blue tooth speaker. He DID NOT install a 2nd battery system. I would like to get that done, but working full time and building a new house (I'm playing the part of the electrician) has my plate pretty full.

Is there anyone near mid-Michigan that's done it to their machine and would be interested in doing the install for me? Thanks in advance.
FoggDogg - welcome.
My recommendation is to pause the 1000-3 fixes, and then do them when you've had a moment to pause and consider.
I've done the the whole dual battery thing, plus all the other stuff, and this site and (more than that) the helpful people can show you the ins and outs. There are a couple of no-added-cost changes that you can do now, that you'll appreciate later.
I just seconds ago finished a too-long post about a dual battery install. Just getting it done quick may leave you wanting more in the future.
Wish you the best,
StewB
FYI: I don't have a blower, but at 8,000 feet in Utah, my heavy battery load is the winch I use to lift and lower a plow a whole lot. A second battery was something more necessary in past models.

Last edited:
FoggDogg

FoggDogg

Mar 26, 2022
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FoggDogg - welcome.
My recommendation is to pause the 1000-3 fixes, and then do them when you've had a moment to pause and consider.
I've done the the whole dual battery thing, plus all the other stuff, and this site and (more than that) the helpful people can show you the ins and outs. There are a couple of no-added-cost changes that you can do now, that you'll appreciate later.
I just seconds ago finished a too-long post about a dual battery install. Just getting it done quick may leave you wanting more in the future.
Wish you the best,
StewB
FYI: I don't have a blower, but at 8,000 feet in Utah, my heavy battery load is the winch I use to lift and lower a plow a whole lot. A second battery was something more necessary in past models.

Are you talking about your post on the 100A fuse thread? Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off welcome to the forum from Minnesota. Second, there are probably as many debates on the second battery setup on here as there is about tires...anyway...I did a second battery on mine with the isolator and everything. I dont really need it currently, as I only run some extra lights, winch, etc. But I wanted it in place in case I want to increase my electrical draw drastically in the future. One more thing to consider, (and the main reason I did mine) is that these machines with electric controlled clutches and fuel injection can get fussy if the battery voltage is not right where it should be. With a second battery and isolator you can draw the accessory battery down to nothing and still have the factory one to start and run the vehicle. Like if you had to winch yourself out of something in the middle of nowhere. Just my .02....best of luck!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome from NW AR!

Reactions: FoggDogg and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!