P1000 30 Amp fuse Winch

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very helpful and informative! I've taken immediate action on moving the + & - to the secondary battery. I have disconnected the wireless device for my winch off the contactor.

Now my goal is to locate the accessory [key-on] as you suggested.

The fuse im having trouble with is the inline fuse that came with my switch panel I bought directly from Honda.

My thoughts are that I have all my accessories ran to my switch panel, BUS, and secondary battery to avoid draining the main battery. The accessories I have are (I do not run them all at once)

•ssv works sound system
•light bar ( quantity 1)
•winch

Volt meter on my switch panel when SXS motor is powered on is 13.9 v and at rest 12.8.

If at rest < motor not powered on> I hit the winch and it drops from 12.8 v to 12. 4 ish to 12.2

Don't mean to ramble but with the secondary battery and the UTV dual battery kit I did not need to worry about connecting to main battery.

Questions/ summary

1. Does my dual battery act as one and charge?
2. If acting as one with dual battery kit would it matter which battery I connect directly to?
3. Do you have an idea location for me to look for the key-on source?

Thank you again for your time and knowledge!

1. If the dual battery kit is wired properly it will keep your batteries isolated. It will charge the primary battery to a charged voltage then open the switch and allow the 2and battery to charge. It has a diode to allow current to only flow one way.
2. You should connect your accessories to the 2nd battery so that you do not interrupt the Honda wiring and possible reduce the voltage to the clutches.
3. The Honda SxS store has a great harness to tap the 12v outlet with a splitter that will provide a Key on 12v signal. This is what I used for my winch and switch panel switch lights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeardedTexan
J

JTW

You keep saying In line fuse... what fuse? Do you mean the thermal breaker that came with the winch? Or did you add something?
As for your issue... KISS... keep it simple stupid!
Did the winch work before? So what’s different? Your winch should run to the accessory battery on it’s own +/- cable. I think you have that covered now. If you’re using a wireless remote try using the wired remote first.
Buy the accessory power pigtails here from the Honda store for your wireless winch remote power.

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1. If the dual battery kit is wired properly it will keep your batteries isolated. It will charge the primary battery to a charged voltage then open the switch and allow the 2and battery to charge. It has a diode to allow current to only flow one way.
2. You should connect your accessories to the 2nd battery so that you do not interrupt the Honda wiring and possible reduce the voltage to the clutches.
3. The Honda SxS store has a great harness to tap the 12v outlet with a splitter that will provide a Key on 12v signal. This is what I used for my winch and switch panel switch lights.

Thanks again! I'll order that part from the SxS store. When I wired the dual battery it seemed pretty straight forward <insert dumb question> second guessing my self but voltage read out shows to be working as it increases when switch is turned on but is there a true test i can verify its been setup correctly?

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a volt meter on each battery or just one? You should see the voltage drop on you aux battery and not change on your primary when you have a load on the aux battery.

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes
Do you have a volt meter on each battery or just one? You should see the voltage drop on you aux battery and not change on your primary when you have a load on the aux battery.

Yessir, appreciate your time and helping me understand how to troubleshoot it.

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You keep saying In line fuse... what fuse? Do you mean the thermal breaker that came with the winch? Or did you add something?
As for your issue... KISS... keep it simple stupid!
Did the winch work before? So what’s different? Your winch should run to the accessory battery on it’s own +/- cable. I think you have that covered now. If you’re using a wireless remote try using the wired remote first.
Buy the accessory power pigtails here from the Honda store for your wireless winch remote power.
I agree with the KISS statement and on my comment for the "in-line fuse" I was refering to the Switch Panel I purchased directly from Honda.
The website link below is the part I am talking about that has the 30 AMP fuse I blow when the winch is in use.

I have since wired directly to the battery with help from this thread and also removed the wireless module wires from the contactor.
Everything is operational; thanks to all this information I now can speak on my setup at a higher level and troubleshoot if needed!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with the KISS statement and on my comment for the "in-line fuse" I was refering to the Switch Panel I purchased directly from Honda.
The website link below is the part I am talking about that has the 30 AMP fuse I blow when the winch is in use.

I have since wired directly to the battery with help from this thread and also removed the wireless module wires from the contactor.
Everything is operational; thanks to all this information I now can speak on my setup at a higher level and troubleshoot if needed!
I'm glad you got it working. Hopefully you can get your wireless remote module wired back in now and button everything back up. Stinks to have to undo work.

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are my questions now that I have everything operational. On the UTV Dual Battery Kit. I think I have it wired wrong

1. I do not see drop in voltage on AUX battery when SxS is turned on. Both read 14.2 V
2. At rest the UTV switch appears to still be powered on after SXS is powered off
3. At rest both batteries read 13.4
4. What the hell am I doing wrong?!
5. Going on 5 minutes after SXS and switch panel inside buggy are both powered off the blue light on UTV is still on
6. Is there a delay for that light/device to shut off?

I hope the pictures show my current setup for the UTV Dual Battery Kit. Excuse mess as this is not finished product. Waiting for my Key-on switch too that I ordered last night from SXS club.

20200716 100630
20200716 100616
20200716 100616
20200716 100630
20200716 100624
20200716 100630
20200716 100616
20200716 100624
20200716 100700

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have my volt meter hooked straight to the tru am isolator but I don't think that matters if u have them hooked straight to each individual battery.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looking again, I guess you're talking about that yellow meter. Lol. I'm taking about a in dash dual volt meter. Disregard what I said about the meter.

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Verified from their site that the light does turn off when I turn key on and then headlights.

Screenshot 20200716 103525 Drive

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have my volt meter hooked straight to the tru am isolator but I don't think that matters if u have them hooked straight to each individual battery.
Letme see what reading I get when I connect to UTV isolater. Did not think or know if I should honestly.
I just read direct from the battery terminals

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!