Talon 31x10r15 Maxxis Carnivores

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ok guys and girls, I’ve got a Talon X4 and I’m looking to change the tires on it. I’ve heard/read that the 32 inch tires will rub slightly and I do not want to deal with that. I ride mainly West Virginia and I do get in some tight areas that would compress the suspension in a turn that would cause me to rub. With that being said, I’ve seen that the Kawi KRX 1000 comes with 31x10r15 Carnivores. I think that would be the perfect size. Is this tire size special to Kawi? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Or can you guys talk me into 32s? I’m running stock wheels too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yes it is - BUT I spoke to Maxxis and they are going to release it, maybe this spring/summer for everyone. Right now it is a Kawasaki part due to the demand from the new machines. It seems the Kaw. dealer can order them if needed. I was thinking the same as you - maybe be a PERFECT size for the Talon!

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes it is - BUT I spoke to Maxxis and they are going to release it, maybe this spring/summer for everyone. Right now it is a Kawasaki part due to the demand from the new machines. It seems the Kaw. dealer can order them if needed. I was thinking the same as you - maybe be a PERFECT size for the Talon!

Think I’m going to call the place where I bought my Talon and see how much they could get them for. They are a Kawasaki dealer too. I just have a feeling they will be high.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I had the exact same concern - I will be interested in hearing what they quote you. Good luck

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I put my 32 carnivores on at like 75 miles and they didn't rub. Now that the springs have broken in a bit, they do rub on the plastic piece that is 45* from the firewall. I'm not sure a 1/2" smaller radius would make much difference.

My plan is different wheels or spacers to make it a little wider.

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I put my 32 carnivores on at like 75 miles and they didn't rub. Now that the springs have broken in a bit, they do rub on the plastic piece that is 45* from the firewall. I'm not sure a 1/2" smaller radius would make much difference.

My plan is different wheels or spacers to make it a little wider.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. This tire thing is about to drive me crazy. Found a good deal on some factory RZR 32x10r15 ITP Coyotes takeoffs too. Man, there is to many options.

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Called my dealer this morning and asked for a price on the Factory size KRX 1000 carnivores and was quoted $299 a piece.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
32s don't rub enough to make it a problem. I've got 32 inch ITP Terra Hooks that are a true 32 inch tire. They rub a bit at full lock, most noticeably when going in reverse. Spacers probably wouldn't help as I have 4/3 offset wheels which are offset about as far as you'd want from the hub. Might actually make it worse since the extra offset extends the steering arc a tiny tiny bit.

I'm pretty picky and will tell you that it is fine. I've considered using a heat gun to soften and push back the wheel well about a quarter inch at the rub point, but will likely never do it. Even with the long X4 wheel base, I find it rare to be at full lock, and speeds are slow if I am.

I really like the 32 inch diameter for trail riding. With that long X4 wheel base, you really want the added clearance. Especially in my case where I love rock and hill climbing and my beefy Trail Armour skid plate eats up 1/2 inch of clearance. You could also consider Super ATV forward offset A-arms, but they're kind of expensive if you get the bushings which is recommended.

Reactions: FOOTS
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
32s don't rub enough to make it a problem. I've got 32 inch ITP Terra Hooks that are a true 32 inch tire. They rub a bit at full lock, most noticeably when going in reverse. Spacers probably wouldn't help as I have 4/3 offset wheels which are offset about as far as you'd want from the hub. Might actually make it worse since the extra offset extends the steering arc a tiny tiny bit.

I'm pretty picky and will tell you that it is fine. I've considered using a heat gun to soften and push back the wheel well about a quarter inch at the rub point, but will likely never do it. Even with the long X4 wheel base, I find it rare to be at full lock, and speeds are slow if I am.

I really like the 32 inch diameter for trail riding. With that long X4 wheel base, you really want the added clearance. Especially in my case where I love rock and hill climbing and my beefy Trail Armour skid plate eats up 1/2 inch of clearance. You could also consider Super ATV forward offset A-arms, but they're kind of expensive if you get the bushings which is recommended.

Mine have rubbed enough to pull out some of the little plastic pop in pins. Doesn't really bother me as I'm not getting rid of the 32s for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm guessing since mine is stock wheels and yours is much more off set, we're rubbing in different places.

Have you measured your over all track width? I'm at 65" in the front. and want to go to 5+2 wheels for more stability.

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I’m seriously about to pull the trigger on some 32 inch ITP Coyotes that are priced to good to pass up. Hopefully I don’t regret this decision but the xtra height will definitely be welcomed.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Mine have rubbed enough to pull out some of the little plastic pop in pins. Doesn't really bother me as I'm not getting rid of the 32s for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm guessing since mine is stock wheels and yours is much more off set, we're rubbing in different places.

Have you measured your over all track width? I'm at 65" in the front. and want to go to 5+2 wheels for more stability.

Yeah, the noise from rubbing comes from the pop pin on mine too. Otherwise, I don't think I'd notice or even hear it rubbing. I've wondered if it might pop that pin out lol. Maybe I will take to it with the heat gun. I saw a youtube video of a guy using a heat gun on the wheel wells of a RZR. Then he put a piece of 2x4 between the tire and the wheel well, cranked the wheel over and let it sit till the plastic cooled. The Talon would just need a a smidge...

I haven't actually measured mine, but I should be right at 68 inches +/- some minutia. 5/2's should add an extra inch to each side putting you at 66 inches. You're gonna get some variation depending on tire pressure/bulge and squat from suspension.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I’m seriously about to pull the trigger on some 32 inch ITP Coyotes that are priced to good to pass up. Hopefully I don’t regret this decision but the xtra height will definitely be welcomed.

I really don't think you'll regret it. The Coyotes are heavy compared to the Terra Hooks. I went down on weight as much as I could to compensate from losses inherent from the bigger diameter. Overall with Alba Racing bead locks (15 lbs each) and the Terra Hooks (36 lbs each) I'm still quite heavier than stock (total 51 lbs) which are 49 lbs rear and 37 lbs front, or something like that (tire/wheel combined).

After taking it out on the trail, I'm not sure if that extra 5 or so pounds from the Coyote would be noticeable. I think the Terra Hooks probably have better traction in all conditions because they are a little more open, but they may not be as durable. Plus it's hard to justify paying a lot more if it is a small difference.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
@Jefferson87 I am kind of new to side by sides. I bought a couple 2019 Pioneer 500s and immediately discovered I wanted more. Sold one of the P5s and bought the Talon X4 late last year. I am really pleased with this thing. I've been able to conquer rocks and hills that some of my veteran group riders struggle on. Last hill on last outing I took it with ease. Guy that followed me rolled and totaled his turbo RZR (2 seater). The long wheelbase is really key. I have a family, but would have bought the X4 regardless for its wheelbase. Hoping to get a ride in next weekend. Will probably be at the track this time.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

If they're that cheap, give them a try and see if you like them. If you don't you can sell them for the same price you bought them for.

Reactions: jamesh

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!