P1000 4+3 issues

D

DirtyDusty

Feb 8, 2023
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am wanting to widen stance on my P1k-5. Running factory wheels right now, but after riding on some steep rock climbing trails, I feel a going wider would help. I watched the shock therapy video on YouTube, we’re they explain the negatives why you don’t need to go wider that a 5+2 offset. They say a 4+3 makes the handling bad and puts too much stress on the steering parts. Anyone here running 4+3’s and had trouble with the handling?

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty much everyone here runs spacers with their aftermarket wheels. It is my understanding that "spacers are just as bad" as your "stress" statement above.

I run 2" spacers on the rear and 1.5" spacers on the front. I pay more attention to offset than wheel backspace. I personally love negative offset. I enjoy the low and wide more than the tall and big. My wheels should be the equivalent of 5+2 and I have not noticed any issues with my own setup. The most important thing is using quality spacers. Most broken part stories start with cheap products and incorrect installation with a lack of lugnut retorque.

I work as a GM mechanic. I see everything from stock to crazy trucks. I also see bad ball joints and tie rods on both styles/versions of how people want their ride. I could not honestly tell you that one style damages more than another. Simple angular logic does yield to the side of "stress" when altering suspension angles.

To each his own but in my opinion make it how you like it. Drive it how you want it. Create a machine that makes you comfortable and feel courageous. Making something you enjoy and feel confident in is more important than anything.

The BIGGEST priority is regular maintenance. It does not matter if the machine is stock, new off the floor, or totally modded out, check all suspension components regularly for wear and replace as needed. Keep track and record any issues you see and that will help you on your journey to obtain information about how parts may or may not be effected.

Make it how you want it. Inspect the components. Keep record of replaced parts. Even if something is replaced I would not discredit it after the first repair.

If you know much about the GM lifter issues I replaced the lifters on a brand new 2 mile Silverado that collapsed on its way off the delivery truck. Just because something is new doesn't mean they can't have issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!