P1000 4 wheel diff lock

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
boy is this nice!!!! one thing I don't like is when do u put it in 4 wheel diff lock generally 2 things make u do this 1 bottom of big hill 2 before a big mud bog right? well anyone notice how it takes forever to get the yellow diff lock light to come on. Maybe its me but I notice one time putting it into diff lock and light didn't come on then bang when spinning it slammed in scared the crap out of me thought I broke something now I know it was ok but slammed in under pressure. Now I like to see the light lit before u punch the throttle to go through the mud or up a big hill. In trucks u know hoping it into reverse or neutral then back into drive will normally do the trick to get in or out of 4X4 well not so much with this anyone else have any observations on this or is it just my unit

Reactions: pct and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine takes a few seconds to kick in as well. It seems to help if I blip the throttle a couple times.

Reactions: dale5740
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have noticed that on my vehicle that it will engage and be locked in even though the display won't register that for a ~50' or so.

I have also noticed that turning left and right to make to engage fully will result in the display showing "locked" much sooner.

Reactions: pct and Delton
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Mine does that. I was part way up a hill today and couldn't make it to the top.
I was stopped and tried to get to engage. Like you - neutral, reverse, a bit of gas.
I had to back down to the bottom before it came on.

When it came on it climbed that hill like a billy goat :)

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I have noticed that on my vehicle that it will engage and be locked in even though the display won't register that for a ~50' or so.

I have also noticed that turning left and right to make to engage fully will result in the display showing "locked" much sooner.

Well, I'm not sure now.
Maybe it was just the light and icon that didn't register. I didn't try the hill till the light was on.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Definitely try turning the wheels back and forth, moving helps. It doesn't always lock right away in a straight line because the gears aren't in the right position to mesh, it takes a little bit of differentiation between them.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ill try turning the wheels next time. That thing is a beast when it's locked. It crawled right up some large rocks that had water running down them. My Foreman would've required a running start lol.

Reactions: CashMoney and pct
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
boy is this nice!!!! one thing I don't like is when do u put it in 4 wheel diff lock generally 2 things make u do this 1 bottom of big hill 2 before a big mud bog right? well anyone notice how it takes forever to get the yellow diff lock light to come on. Maybe its me but I notice one time putting it into diff lock and light didn't come on then bang when spinning it slammed in scared the crap out of me thought I broke something now I know it was ok but slammed in under pressure. Now I like to see the light lit before u punch the throttle to go through the mud or up a big hill. In trucks u know hoping it into reverse or neutral then back into drive will normally do the trick to get in or out of 4X4 well not so much with this anyone else have any observations on this or is it just my unit
i use diff lock all the time and it engages a few seconds later. manual says to transport on trailer shifted into 4 wheel diff lock and park. off subject kind of, just like any 4x4 truck you have to wait for it to engage before you mash it. same with hi/lo shifting coming to a complete stop before the change. i like to baby my baby. my life depends on its reliability out in the wilderness 100 miles from town. that would be a long walk home . ;)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i use diff lock all the time and it engages a few seconds later. manual says to transport on trailer shifted into 4 wheel diff lock and park. off subject kind of, just like any 4x4 truck you have to wait for it to engage before you mash it. same with hi/lo shifting coming to a complete stop before the change. i like to baby my baby. my life depends on its reliability out in the wilderness 100 miles from town. that would be a long walk home . ;)
My riding trail is up in mountains with zero cell service. It's probably around 10 miles maybe more to the truck. Plus walking up some serious grades. That and I've seen the movie "Deliverance" waaay too many times lmao. Seriously ya never know when you're gonna stumble onto somebody's still site or weed plot. I always keep my little mark III in the glove compartment.

Reactions: franzw and dale5740
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My riding trail is up in mountains with zero cell service. It's probably around 10 miles maybe more to the truck. Plus walking up some serious grades. That and I've seen the movie "Deliverance" waaay too many times lmao. Seriously ya never know when you're gonna stumble onto somebody's still site or weed plot. I always keep my little mark III in the glove compartment.
d'hell you gonna do with that .22cal? piss somebody off?lol Just giving you a hard time bud. A neck shot will put em down regardless of caliber! but if you hear banjer music... best you just run!lol

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
d'hell you gonna do with that .22cal? piss somebody off?lol Just giving you a hard time bud. A neck shot will put em down regardless of caliber! but if you hear banjer music... best you just run!lol
It's amazing how menacing looking that little bore is when it's pointed in your immediate direction lol. And yes, banjo music is a bad sign. Better wear my locking cast iron drawers lol. My wife is from a mountain in AL so I aggravate her about "mountain people" every chance I get. Her favorite reply is " yeah and you married one" lol. Heck yeah! Can't beat mountain booty lol

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's amazing how menacing looking that little bore is when it's pointed in your immediate direction lol. And yes, banjo music is a bad sign. Better wear my locking cast iron drawers lol. My wife is from a mountain in AL so I aggravate her about "mountain people" every chance I get. Her favorite reply is " yeah and you married one" lol. Heck yeah! Can't beat mountain booty lol
HAHA! yep!

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Mine slammed into lock this weekend at Red Creek while trying to get off of a stump. Everybody for a mile thought I broke an axle. I had to spin them a few times afterwards to make sure I still had 4 wheel drive. Took it in for service this week, mechanic said, " except for a torn plastic below, all was in good shape" I think I'll be cutting me up a sheet of aluminum this weekend.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine slammed into lock this weekend at Red Creek while trying to get off of a stump. Everybody for a mile thought I broke an axle. I had to spin them a few times afterwards to make sure I still had 4 wheel drive. Took it in for service this week, mechanic said, " except for a torn plastic below, all was in good shape" I think I'll be cutting me up a sheet of aluminum this weekend.
What do you mean slammed into lock?

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Sorry, I'm a coon ass and speak short hand. I romped on the gas petal not realizing 4 wheel diff lock had not engaged. When it did it made a loud POW in the gear box.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Mine is slow to lock up too. I use it a lot and it is going in better now. Don't need it very often but always lock it up before I go into the tough stuff. My Teryx was worse but with lots of use it got way better.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I'm a coon ass and speak short hand. I romped on the gas petal not realizing 4 wheel diff lock had not engaged. When it did it made a loud POW in the gear box.
Ouch that sounds painful.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No doubt a neck shot always works , but that damn banjo song is awesome, wait till it's over then pull out the 45caliber, the big dark hole will take care of things, just saying.

Reactions: Delton
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!