P1000 4wd display

SMS239

SMS239

Oct 7, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I discovered a problem with the 4wd indicator. My 1000-5 only has about 20 miles on it and I noticed that the display stays in the 2wd turf mode no matter were I put the shifter. So I tested to see if the machine actually goes into 2wd lock, 4wd and 4wd lock and it does. So everything works just not the indicator. Any ideas? I already checked and adjusted the cables and checked for any loose wires. Is there a switch that gets activated when shifting that triggers the display indicator? Any help would be appreciated, really don't want to drive over an hour to drop it off at the dealer.

Reactions: drfubar
J

Jarred

Oct 23, 2016
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm no expert on this yet although i have some electrical experience and seems there is some kind of switch/signal that is not connected. If everything else related to the drive is functioning as expected then I suspect you are right about it being some kind of electronic issue just with the display/signal wires. Maybe someone on here has a shop manual, which will have the wiring diagram. That could be a start. That being said a trip to the dealer since your under warranty would probably be best :)

When I say I'm not expert yet, I'm going to pick up my new Pioneer this morning :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drfubar
SMS239

SMS239

Oct 7, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm no expert on this yet although i have some electrical experience and seems there is some kind of switch/signal that is not connected. If everything else related to the drive is functioning as expected then I suspect you are right about it being some kind of electronic issue just with the display/signal wires. Maybe someone on here has a shop manual, which will have the wiring diagram. That could be a start. That being said a trip to the dealer since your under warranty would probably be best :)

When I say I'm not expert yet, I'm going to pick up my new Pioneer this morning :)

Thanks for the input, I did find a Nuetral indicator switch on both differentials. Maybe the rear has debris on it from break-in and not allowing it to send the signal to the display, worth a check.

SMS239

SMS239

Oct 7, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input, I did find a Nuetral indicator switch on both differentials. Maybe the rear has debris on it from break-in and not allowing it to send the signal to the display, worth a check.

Alright, I located two switches that might affect the indicator(if it's not a bad display). There is a sub-drum position switch assembly on the outside of the sub transmission, and a mode selector switch assembly( don't know where that one is). I noticed Honda calls their 4wd shifter a mode selector, so I'm assuming the mode selector switch is under the dash somewhere near the mode selector arm . if anyone knows where it's at at let me know before I start tearing the dash apart. Thanks

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think Honda likes to have there switches direct reading - like the diff lock switches on the diff not under the dash.
The 4x4 engagement happens at the input shaft to the front diff.
4x4 mode switch should be on the front diff housing.

J

Jarred

Oct 23, 2016
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just some food for thought and I'm sure you've already done this but figured I'd mention it. I just picked up my Pioneer and one of the first things I did was check the drive indication on the display. At first I thought it may be having a problem but realized it takes a little bit of driving for it to kick in. Again, just in case but I'm sure you've done that.

quickfish

quickfish

Sep 14, 2016
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the same problem that happen about 20mikes too... Happen in the middle of a ride, I noticed that honda says to come to a complete stop to shift (after the fact) which I wasn't doing.... And now that I'm coming to a stop it's working correctly, I'm surprised that u can't shift on the fly like all the other manufactures, but I just drop it off at the dealer for first service and put the ball in there court to figure out why the indicator wasn't working correctly

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just took mine in for 20 hour service and mentioned to service department that it had a hard time coming out of 2X2 drive they said they'd check it out and adjust as needed. Picked it up 2 days ago but didn't test at dealership because it was raining get

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oops hit send by accident before finished with post anyway when I got home now it only display Turf mode and no other indication of shifting into other modes. This sucks it's a 100 mile round trip to take it back. Calling Tuesday morning after the Christmas holiday.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oops hit send by accident before finished with post anyway when I got home now it only display Turf mode and no other indication of shifting into other modes. This sucks it's a 100 mile round trip to take it back. Calling Tuesday morning after the Christmas holiday.

It should be easy for you to adjust. I'll go find the instructions.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Joeymt33
Thanks for the info I'll keep for referance.
I'm still headed to the dealer in the morning and will wait for them to do the adjustment.

Reactions: sharp
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Joeymt33
Thanks for the info I'll keep for referance.
I'm still headed to the dealer in the morning and will wait for them to do the adjustment.

I had the same issues with my machine, along with the AT/MT indicators being lit constantly, no matter what mode I was in. Mine was in the shop for 3 weeks and they still didn't have it figured out. I pulled it out of the shop, did the alignment of the drive mode cables myself, and the problems you're experiencing went away. A little while later I realized that the issue with the AT/MT indicators was that I needed to perform the clutch reset procedure. That fixed the last problem, and I noticed the shifting quieted down a lot.

Just food for thought.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the same issues with my machine, along with the AT/MT indicators being lit constantly, no matter what mode I was in. Mine was in the shop for 3 weeks and they still didn't have it figured out. I pulled it out of the shop, did the alignment of the drive mode cables myself, and the problems you're experiencing went away. A little while later I realized that the issue with the AT/MT indicators was that I needed to perform the clutch reset procedure. That fixed the last problem, and I noticed the shifting quieted down a lot.

Just food for thought.
AK Rider,
Took it to Denton Cycle Center in Denton, TX yesterday and they took in in the shop for adjusting brought it back out and said it's "OK'. Took for a test drive in their yard and when moving from Turf, 2WD, 4WD or Dif Lock or any position it made a clunk sound like the SXS was hit with a hammer. Told the service writer not right fix it. Took back in shop for tweaking and clunking noise was getting better but shift indicator was still screwed up. Now service writer gets shop warranty coordinator involved and takes for test drive says its OK now. I go for a ride with warranty coordinator and still not correct. Shop is opening up a technical support case with Honda since they say everything is in adjustment. Just to set the expectation seed I went up on the show room and told my salesman that if they cant get it right someone is getting me a different SXS. From day one it's never been correct took in for 20 hour service and still screwed up. This SXS is used on our ranch to feed cows out of and ranch work I'm 60 and my wife is 59 their isn't a 15 years old kid terrorizing this SXS with hard driving. Keeping my fingers crossed they get it right!

The guys at Denton Cycle Center are trying everything possible and are good people. My frustration is I just bought a new SXS and want to drive it not spend time at the dealership getting something fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just picked up my 1000 from Denton Cycle Center in Denton, TX yesterday from them adjusting the Turf, 2WD, 4WD and 4W Diff Lock. SXS shifts as designed and no issues. The service advisor put almost 4 hours on my machine because every time the tech said it was OK he drove it and when not correct he gave it back to the tech for another try. My machine shifts better than it has ever. The service advisor gave me the adjustment procedure so here it is for all of you. Thanks Denton Cycle Center!

Attachments

• Rear Differential Lock Cable Adjustment.pdf
    502.1 KB · Views: 1,625
Reactions: Deerlake and TxDoc