P500 520 in a 6' bed?

crawdad62

crawdad62

Apr 6, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
I've got a Ram 1500 that has a 6' bed (not the usual 5.5'). I saw a picture of a 500 in the back of a Ford Ranger but I looked at the specs for the 520 and it's 105" which is almost 9' long. Is the 520 that much longer? Is it possible to load one in a 6'bed? I'd have to drive about 35 miles with it resting on the tailgate.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
My recommendations back it in. Oh maybe not (due to P500 box overhang?), my 2015 with DIY rear try fits in… not a dodge but it is an effective 6” box with custom bed extension. For a long time I packed mine with a sheet of 3/4” treated plywood with angle iron bolted to the edges for added strength and it covered the tailgate, along with custom tailgate supports so I didn’t rely on the tailgate cables alone.
6754CD62 C553 4DFB A5C6 59067DF54761
54D1FFE6 A396 4B85 A155 28457A63AC4A 20818F09 7EC3 4CA6 9034 53C59C087E57

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
6.5' bed in the Frontier:
MVIMG 20200821 151601

Double check the payload capacity for your truck, I'm at my limit here. The rear end squatted so much, I would have blinded oncoming traffic if I had to turn on the headlights. Mid-size truck, I'd say don't do it.
Full-size truck you should be OK, like other others said though, get some kind of tailgate supports. Heard alot of good things about the DG tailgate supports. Other options are 3/4" plywood, or a couple bed-length 2x6's. Myself, I don't trust newer truck's tailgates to hold that much weight for any length of time by themselves, especially if you end up hitting even some small bumps in the road.

My crazy-ass setup I tried here involved a hitch-mounted bed extender rated for 1000lbs (which is more than the class 3 hitch it's in), and some 2x10's, so it's not on the tailgate at all. Used some 1x2's as braces and to bolt around the extender in the back to keep it all from flopping around.

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
I've got a Ram 1500 that has a 6' bed (not the usual 5.5'). I saw a picture of a 500 in the back of a Ford Ranger but I looked at the specs for the 520 and it's 105" which is almost 9' long. Is the 520 that much longer? Is it possible to load one in a 6'bed? I'd have to drive about 35 miles with it resting on the tailgate.
I have a 2012 Tundra (6.5 ft bed) that I've hauled 3 different UTVs in for the past 10 years, including a 2021 520 since last October. All with similar dimensions and weight. Loaded in forward, the rear wheels of each rest on the tailgate about midway or closer than midway from bed. I strap them in well. Never had a loading-unloading issue or in-transit issue.

Nevertheless, for additional peace of mind I've tried to add some tailgate support to the original cables but have found nothing workable. I've had the tailgate cables disconnected (not with UTV loaded) and the tailgate does not drop anyway, so either the tailgate has additional support built-in via the frame (I assume) or it rests on the rear bumper. Have discussed additional support with dealership's service department manager but he's confident it's good as is ... as it has proved to be.

Whatever the case, hauling in the Tundra bed rather than towing has worked for 10 years.

W

wvmountaineers

Jun 17, 2021
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Here’s my Sierra 1500 hauling the 520. If I took it a lot of places, I’d get a trailer, honestly. But I took mine from dealer to farm. Don’t plan on hauling her anywhere for a long time.C43126c26f9eb042bd0c9321617bdd12
I put some boards across the tailgate due to the multi pro tailgate. Worried about the weight on the middle section. Held up fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Anytime I put my P5 in my truck bed I ALWAYS use these as extra stability and safety.

B

BrotherofJack

Jan 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
DG Tailgate supports. If you had a GM, I have some sitting in the garage collecting dust now.
Trigger do you still have those bars? How much do you want for them? I have a 2018 Sierra and would like to have a set.

On a side note, got my shield in the mail last week and installed in my p5 over the weekend, haven't been able to go for a ride yet but impressed with the fit during install 👍

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Trigger do you still have those bars? How much do you want for them? I have a 2018 Sierra and would like to have a set.

On a side note, got my shield in the mail last week and installed in my p5 over the weekend, haven't been able to go for a ride yet but impressed with the fit during install 👍
🤔.......who's Jack?

😂 welcome from South Fl, pics!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah I still have them. You're probably not going to the TO are you?

B

BrotherofJack

Jan 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Yeah I still have them. You're probably not going to the TO are you?
Not this year unfortunately, just found out what it is yesterday and want to put it on my calendar for next year though. Looks like a great time! I like the hills, makes me wish FL wasn't so flat lol. Do guys bring ATV's out too or is it just SXS's?

B

BrotherofJack

Jan 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
🤔.......who's Jack?

😂 welcome from South Fl, pics!!
“Jack” is actually a long running family joke. My name is Carl but my Dad has what you might call a unique sense of humor lol. When I was a kid he made up an imaginary son (brother to me), who he called Jack. Mysteriously, Jack was never in the same room as me so I never saw him, but he always came by the house when I was gone at my grandparents’ house and played with all my toys, slept in my bed etc., whatever my Dad could tell me to try and get a rise out of me as a young kid. We lived in a split-level home and my Dad would go as far as to make a plate of food at dinner and take it downstairs for Jack, he was that committed to the joke lol. Naturally, Jack was always the better son, better grades, better at sports, basically one step above whatever I could do. Even after I found out Jack wasn’t real we ended up keeping the joke going, even into adulthood. We were riding down the interstate one day and saw a brand-new black Escalade with a license plate that read “DR JACK”, which prompted a good laugh as I stomped on the pedal to catch up and pull up next to it lol. When I see the name Jack somewhere I still send him a picture to this day.

And I’ll have to get some good pics of the p5! haven’t had it for long and still trying to get it cleaned up and make it more of my own. Previous owner had a little different taste.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
“Jack” is actually a long running family joke. My name is Carl but my Dad has what you might call a unique sense of humor lol. When I was a kid he made up an imaginary son (brother to me), who he called Jack. Mysteriously, Jack was never in the same room as me so I never saw him, but he always came by the house when I was gone at my grandparents’ house and played with all my toys, slept in my bed etc., whatever my Dad could tell me to try and get a rise out of me as a young kid. We lived in a split-level home and my Dad would go as far as to make a plate of food at dinner and take it downstairs for Jack, he was that committed to the joke lol. Naturally, Jack was always the better son, better grades, better at sports, basically one step above whatever I could do. Even after I found out Jack wasn’t real we ended up keeping the joke going, even into adulthood. We were riding down the interstate one day and saw a brand-new black Escalade with a license plate that read “DR JACK”, which prompted a good laugh as I stomped on the pedal to catch up and pull up next to it lol. When I see the name Jack somewhere I still send him a picture to this day.

And I’ll have to get some good pics of the p5! haven’t had it for long and still trying to get it cleaned up and make it more of my own. Previous owner had a little different taste.
That's funny AF!!😂😂
Where in Fl you at?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!