P500 520 tires and must have modifications?

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
I went back and forth with SuperATV on the power steering and a discount code. In the end the Tusk system from Rocky Mountain ATV was over $100 cheeper than the deepest discount SuperATV could give. The only difference was Rocky Mountain did not "guarantee" it would fit a 2021 520. They said I could return it if the system was in as new condition though so I took a gamble and ordered it. Put it in a couple weeks ago and it fits like a glove. Nothing against SuperATV, he's a great guy and I have his flip up windshield but... Rocky Mountain knocked him out of the park on pricing...

C

ClickInTheBox

Feb 5, 2022
MN
Ownership

1. 520
I would second all of what has been said. Most impactful will be tires, and windshield. Nice to haves are the roof, winch and Tigger shield. If you ride during low light times, additional light is needed.

Here is what your stocker will look like:

View attachment 317266

Mine looked like that too, with the exception of color of course.

View attachment 317250

Visual of what wheels and tires do for the P520. You can see the stockers in the corner of the garage. I think it still looks naked like this.

View attachment 317251

Once you start adding the good stuff, I think it really brings the character of the Pioneers. Here is is with the same wheels/tires, but adding the winch, windshield and roof make it even better.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

Rob View attachment 317265
Hey Rob, what size trailer is that and where did you get it? I like the “just right size’

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I’m pretty sure it’s just a TSC (tractor Supply Company) trailer I got from a neighbor who was moving and needed to sell it. It’s a bit smaller than I would like, but fits the P520 perfect. It is a 5’x8’ trailer with the ramp cut off. I use short ramps like these:
4E11E3BC 23AD 4FCC 9F7A 8E060CE1A7DB
E41FA2CD 481A 4B10 AF3A 9920900F37EA

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bought the ratchet tie downs, a front wheel Jack and spare tire for it.

Im sure some could talk me out of it one of these days. I need to get an enclosed trailer. Not so much for the Pioneer, but for moving my kids around the country. Seems like every year one gets a new job or buys a different house and I get called to help.

Rob

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all. So I am ready for tires and maybe wheels. I was going to order the tusk Trilobite 26’s but was told that the 26’s are actually only 25”s tall. I am also considering removing the rear sway bar and thought maybe I should go with spacers and get slightly bigger tires/wheels. I think I would be perfectly happy with having just new tires (and maybe wheels) but I don’t want a 26” tire that is really only 25”s. What is the most cost effective tire that I can get a true 26”s from and not have to make any other modification? My riding style is pretty much all terrain, including some deep snow for a few months of the year. Another thought. Maybe I keep the stock wheels/tires for the 9 months/year that there is zero to minimal snow and then just get a dedicated set for the 3 months of snow blasting? Anybody else do this? Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
I would second all of what has been said. Most impactful will be tires, and windshield. Nice to haves are the roof, winch and Tigger shield. If you ride during low light times, additional light is needed.

Here is what your stocker will look like:

View attachment 317266

Mine looked like that too, with the exception of color of course.

View attachment 317250

Visual of what wheels and tires do for the P520. You can see the stockers in the corner of the garage. I think it still looks naked like this.

View attachment 317251

Once you start adding the good stuff, I think it really brings the character of the Pioneers. Here is is with the same wheels/tires, but adding the winch, windshield and roof make it even better.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

Rob View attachment 317265
What set up are your tires/wheels? Did you need a lift kit?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
No lift kit, I did 1” spacer in the rear to even up the stance front to back. I run the same wheel and tire at all 4 corners. Tusk 14 x 7 bead locks and Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 in size 27 x 11 x 14.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all,
I am expecting to pick up my first SXS sometime in the next 2 weeks and it will be a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520 (moose brown). I live in Northern Michigan and am hoping to be able to ride the machine year-round. We have lots of snow right now so I suspect that a better set of tires will be needed for that. What is the go to tire for adding more clearance and better all around performance for off-roading and in the snow? Also, what are some of the first modifications/additions I should consider? The machine is coming to me bone stock. I have 18 acres to play on that connect to 100’s of miles of trails. Thanks
With 18 acres connected to 100s of miles of trails your first accessory should be gravel to begin building a campground so that all you new riding buddies on here will have a place to stay when we come over to ride.

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
I just took a look at the rear sway bar to see about removal and noticed that it dosn’t exist! I wonder if Honda decided it was not needed in the 520’s (2022)? I’m a bit disappointed as I was really hoping to have an easy option for making the ride a bit more comfortable. Bigger tires and less pressure should help a bit.

Reactions: toddvdh and futzin
advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I just took a look at the rear sway bar to see about removal and noticed that it dosn’t exist! I wonder if Honda decided it was not needed in the 520’s (2022)? I’m a bit disappointed as I was really hoping to have an easy option for making the ride a bit more comfortable. Bigger tires and less pressure should help a bit.
It’s not there on the P520.

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
No lift kit, I did 1” spacer in the rear to even up the stance front to back. I run the same wheel and tire at all 4 corners. Tusk 14 x 7 bead locks and Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 in size 27 x 11 x 14.
Did your set up help to smooth out the bumps? I’d prefer to keep the width at 50”s so I’m leaning towards whatever set up will get me more height and maybe a smoother ride, without going wider.

Reactions: toddvdh
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

My set up is a ton smoother than stock. The little 24" tires pumped up over 10psi were rock hard and didn't deflect at all. The new set up running less PSI is way smoother.

Staying 50" and going up to a larger 25,26 or 27" tires is a risky proposition . I'm at just over 54" wide and I feel very comfortable on side hills. 50" wide on 27" tall tires would be a real pucker fest.

Look for a thread about 50" gates... lots of discussion on the subject and many more threads about the subject. The old timers around here will tell you the same, " to go up, you have to go wide."

Rob

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

My set up is a ton smoother than stock. The little 24" tires pumped up over 10psi were rock hard and didn't deflect at all. The new set up running less PSI is way smoother.

Staying 50" and going up to a larger 25,26 or 27" tires is a risky proposition . I'm at just over 54" wide and I feel very comfortable on side hills. 50" wide on 27" tall tires would be a real pucker fest.

Look for a thread about 50" gates... lots of discussion on the subject and many more threads about the subject. The old timers around here will tell you the same, " to go up, you have to go wide."

Rob
I appreciate the insight. I must say I am feeling like I probaly should have done a little more research before choosing the P520 (and I did a considerable amount of reading!). I guess I dont really understand why to go with a 520 if you need to get about as wide as 700 to get desired height and comfort. I think the 700 is just shy of 60”s. I guess the jump from 54“ to 60” is probably much more considerable in the real life application.
I‘m definitely enjoying the 520. Just wishing I didn’t need to go wider for more clearance and comfort.
The mods I’ve done so far have been the trigger shield, tusk half windshield +2 and a rearview mirror. Just did the 1st maintenance this past weekend and used the Edwards kit with the Honda Gen 4 oil. I cut the plastic instead of removeing all the clips and everything was super easy. Thanks again for the insight.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I appreciate the insight. I must say I am feeling like I probaly should have done a little more research before choosing the P520 (and I did a considerable amount of reading!). I guess I dont really understand why to go with a 520 if you need to get about as wide as 700 to get desired height and comfort. I think the 700 is just shy of 60”s. I guess the jump from 54“ to 60” is probably much more considerable in the real life application.
I‘m definitely enjoying the 520. Just wishing I didn’t need to go wider for more clearance and comfort.
The mods I’ve done so far have been the trigger shield, tusk half windshield +2 and a rearview mirror. Just did the 1st maintenance this past weekend and used the Edwards kit with the Honda Gen 4 oil. I cut the plastic instead of removeing all the clips and everything was super easy. Thanks again for the insight.
Well, I needed the smaller size to get through the narrow parts of my property. I knew 50" was pretty narrow, but going to 54" wasn't really on my agenda. I plan on making a change to get it closet to 52"... that might be my best compromise: at little up and a little out to appease gravity.

If you look at my set up, I have 11" wide tires and am sitting just over 54" wide. To get closer to 52", I could go to a 9" wide tire. That takes an inch off of each side. Thats not a bad trade off. I might go to a 10" wide tire, that puts me closer to 53", which is doable too. I still keep my 7" wide bead locks, and likely only lose some sidewall lugs...

50" is fine if you only go up a small amount on tire size. If you use the stock wheels, the OEM tires are 8" wide and 10" wide respectively. Even if you go 9" and 11", you've added an inch.

Everything in life is a compromise, I'm happy with the P520.

Rob

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Yes indeed, in my experience.

Much of my enjoyment of my buggy is riding in the woods on trails that 4wheelers have made. Only the 50" class need apply.

Tread Lightly . . .
What size wheels/tires do you have? Maybe going to the tusk 26/9/12 and 26/10/12 will be enough of an improvement for me. They should be about 2”s taller. I measured the stock 24’s and they are really closer to 23”. Hopefully that is not too much additional height without going wider.
Another thought. Why not have 26/10/12’s on front and back? Any idea why they stock set up has narrower tires in the front? Thanks

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!