P500 520 tires and must have modifications?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I appreciate the insight. I must say I am feeling like I probaly should have done a little more research before choosing the P520 (and I did a considerable amount of reading!). I guess I dont really understand why to go with a 520 if you need to get about as wide as 700 to get desired height and comfort. I think the 700 is just shy of 60”s. I guess the jump from 54“ to 60” is probably much more considerable in the real life application.
I‘m definitely enjoying the 520. Just wishing I didn’t need to go wider for more clearance and comfort.
The mods I’ve done so far have been the trigger shield, tusk half windshield +2 and a rearview mirror. Just did the 1st maintenance this past weekend and used the Edwards kit with the Honda Gen 4 oil. I cut the plastic instead of removeing all the clips and everything was super easy. Thanks again for the insight.
I bought the p52 because of all the power it has.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate the insight. I must say I am feeling like I probaly should have done a little more research before choosing the P520 (and I did a considerable amount of reading!). I guess I dont really understand why to go with a 520 if you need to get about as wide as 700 to get desired height and comfort. I think the 700 is just shy of 60”s. I guess the jump from 54“ to 60” is probably much more considerable in the real life application.
I‘m definitely enjoying the 520. Just wishing I didn’t need to go wider for more clearance and comfort.
The mods I’ve done so far have been the trigger shield, tusk half windshield +2 and a rearview mirror. Just did the 1st maintenance this past weekend and used the Edwards kit with the Honda Gen 4 oil. I cut the plastic instead of removeing all the clips and everything was super easy. Thanks again for the insight.

We all came into the P5 with the same thought you have, create more ground clearance and maintain the 50" width. You can do it but it's dangerous and severely takes away from the ability of the machine. Some claim that they've done it and don't notice that it's any tippier, but I question what trail conditions they're riding in. Learned my lesson after the first ride and spread the stance and still ended up on my side once at RRB. I honestly wouldn't want to ride RRB with a P5 that went up and not out, they'd be on their side all day. Not fun!
A stock 700 is 59.7" wide and that's not just at the wheels, the chassis is wider too. Rode the Gladwin trails where a guy with a brand new 700 was trying to follow on quad trails, he made it but beat the hell out of that machine and may have bent the rops. Adding a few inches at the wheels doesn't make that much difference on restricted trails, the body is still a lot smaller than a P7.
Get some 5+2 aftermarket wheels or add spacers to the stockers. You can go as high as 27's without rub and I'd suggest a rounder profile tire if you plan to ride sand and snow.
Sorry to see you're second guessing your purchase. But if you set it up right, you'll be amazed at what that machine will do and where it can go that others just can't.
Pic is for proportion. The machine on the far left is a P7.

Takeover Group

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
If you needed perspective, Trigger just gave it to you in Spades... This picture and many others I have seen, where a little P500/520 sits in the middle of 700s and 1000s is a great visual on why we were all attracted to the size and idea of the 500 series.

I had my P520 in Colorado when I bought it for 4 days and knew I needed new tires after the first ride. I needed the extra clearance and comfort as well as a certain aesthetic. I'm glad I changed them all out. While I'm contemplating a change to shave a little width off, in reality my set up feels great, looks good, adds flotation and traction to do the things I want to do other than ride 50" trails that aren't even in my area. Even with my wider tires, I still get around my property just fine squeezing between the trees.

As to your question about the same size tires on the front and back; you can do that. I do the same wheel and tire at each corner. This is a great set up if you are going to add aftermarket wheels. if you plan on keeping the stock wheels, I'm going to say its going to not only look a little funny, but the front will be wider than the rear without adding spacers.

Rob

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I've had a P5, a P5auto and a P1k. I actually prefer the the P5's over the P1k I had. Reasons? My 1000 had constant clutch engagement problems. Its constant lurching throttle and me never agreed on technical trails. Its wider track and width made it often difficult to fit where the narrower machines would. After 3 trips to dealer for clutch problems, terrible heat coming off motor and rattles I had enough and sold it. I ended up selling the P5 after the 1000 and found a P5auto. It was great however I need the dumpbed for work around house. So it too got sold and I got away from the Pioneers totally and went with Yamaha. Now I have a 4 seat RMAX and a P520 on the way. I came back here and to Honda when I heard the little P5 finally got the bed I was wanting. I got to sit in one last night at the dealership and I'm super excited to get one soon. I feel for the what the little P5 offers as far as cost, value, size, terrainability, and unlimited support here its hard to argue its popularity and think you won't find anything better for the reasons I just mentioned! goodluck

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

This is the best picture I could find of my P520 with wider tires and 5/2 14 x 7" wheels. You can see they stick out about 2" on both sides of the Pioneer. Remember these are 11" wide.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yay! You got it.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Oh, I get it. Thought we had another round of mods we can all watch

Reactions: futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
What size wheels/tires do you have? Maybe going to the tusk 26/9/12 and 26/10/12 will be enough of an improvement for me. They should be about 2”s taller. I measured the stock 24’s and they are really closer to 23”. Hopefully that is not too much additional height without going wider.
Another thought. Why not have 26/10/12’s on front and back? Any idea why they stock set up has narrower tires in the front? Thanks

Tires are 27" 12x9s on front, 12x11s on rear.
Wheels are 12" steelies with 4+3 offset. Puts my footprint at 53.5" by my measurement.

advertisement
L

Lochsa

Feb 20, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
I keep seeing everyone mention replacing the factory tires for clearance and appearance, but how are they for durability and traction?

I'm getting a 520 in next week, and need to keep it under 50" for the trails I ride. I do not think clearance will be a huge issue for me as it's primarily logging roads I'll be on. So I think I can stick with 24s or 25s. I will likely be using chains when I'm in the snow.

Should I also be prioritizing replacing the factory tires?

Last edited:
1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
We all came into the P5 with the same thought you have, create more ground clearance and maintain the 50" width. You can do it but it's dangerous and severely takes away from the ability of the machine. Some claim that they've done it and don't notice that it's any tippier, but I question what trail conditions they're riding in. Learned my lesson after the first ride and spread the stance and still ended up on my side once at RRB. I honestly wouldn't want to ride RRB with a P5 that went up and not out, they'd be on their side all day. Not fun!
A stock 700 is 59.7" wide and that's not just at the wheels, the chassis is wider too. Rode the Gladwin trails where a guy with a brand new 700 was trying to follow on quad trails, he made it but beat the hell out of that machine and may have bent the rops. Adding a few inches at the wheels doesn't make that much difference on restricted trails, the body is still a lot smaller than a P7.
Get some 5+2 aftermarket wheels or add spacers to the stockers. You can go as high as 27's without rub and I'd suggest a rounder profile tire if you plan to ride sand and snow.
Sorry to see you're second guessing your purchase. But if you set it up right, you'll be amazed at what that machine will do and where it can go that others just can't.
Pic is for proportion. The machine on the far left is a P7.

View attachment 331466
Trigger you should change your name to Dr P5. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I keep seeing everyone mention replacing the factory tires for clearance and appearance reasoning, but how are they for durability and traction?

I'm getting a 520 in next week, and need to keep it under 50" for the trails I ride. I do not think clearance will be a huge issue for me as it's primarily logging roads I'll be on. So I think I can stick with 24s or 25s. I will likely be using chains when I'm in the snow.

Should I also be prioritizing replacing the factory tires?

You'll be fine, these machines are billy goat's right out of the box. You'll be bottoming out on some stuff but that happens regardless of tire size. Most of us just can't leave things alone and want to make it better, they ride pretty rough in stock form.
Welcome to the forum and post up some pics when you get it.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I might catch some flak here but here goes- I am running 26x9-12 in front and 26x11-12 on the rear on the stock steel wheels.
IMG 0759

I ran this set-up from when I bought the machine off a friend in April 2019 (machine is a 2018) until I prepped it to go to Moab in September 2021. I use it around home for chores, take it north to run 2-tracks, fire roads as well as 50" ORV trails. At no time did I ever feel like it was going to tip on me. Now, not to call anyone here a liar, I believe I do not drive mine like most do on here, as well as I have not taken it to a riding area like RRB, Brimstone, Windrock or Hatfield-McCoy's. I even removed the rear sway-bar (which the P520 does not have). If anything, I feel that the larger "radial" tires have a stiffer side-wall that makes the machine feel more planted vs. the stock tires seemed to flex way more, creating more body roll. Despite my description- the ride quality is much better than the stock tires. I am going to go with the fact that they are 2-inches larger in diameter and radials, that they feel more forgiving.

Also pointed out- you end up wider than the 50", but that is at the tires. The P7, P1k, Talon and other 700cc + class machines are wider everywhere. Not to mention heavier (i.e. - larger trailer, bigger tow vehicle to get you to the trail).

Now, to go the other direction than Trigger, I go to a local ORV park with friends that have Jeeps and trucks. So the P500 is kind of the far end of the extreme. However, I will point out that I go everywhere the buggy on the far left goes. No problems, no "tipping", just banging the skid plate on a lot.

18  Group at end of Mild to Wild and Deer Run trails

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Oh, I forgot the tire size difference question: I pretty sure it goes like this- you have a cargo rack or dump box on the back of the machine, meaning you are going to eventually carry a concentrated amount of weight on that rack/bed, so put a wider tire under said rack/bed so there will be more floatation off road to better carry the weight. OK, why a narrower tire on the front? Well, narrower tire will turn easier than a wide one. Narrow tire will "cut" into the terrain and get traction to turn better than a wide tire. Other than that, my guess would be they just stuck with what had been working on quads since 1986.

L

Lochsa

Feb 20, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
@MI-Trailblazer

What brand tires are they? Are you just barely over 50" with that setup?

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yep, I can see how that works for you. And I can attest that Moab is no joke when it comes to varied terrain. I spent time growing up out there...

I assume a lot of people are like me: going up and down steep hills are exciting but pretty straight forward most of the time. Sidehills are a whole different beast and I still don't like to do them. I've been in a jeep that rolled and watched a few people in UTVs and ATVs fall victim to sideloads. Either the sidehill is just too steep, there is driver error or the ground is soft and gives way that is supporting the downward side of the tire. For the most part, there is likely a large margin of error for sidehills... I hope I never find myself past the margin.

Knowing what your vehicle is capable of is only part of it. Knowing your own limitations is another thing. To that end, I know I will likely exceed my "pucker meter" before the machine is ever in real trouble of tipping.

I've also adopted a new level of caution, I realize that I may not be the least common denominator when my P520 hits the trail. I have tried to teach my kids, "including 2 adult daughters and 1 adult son" how to drive on the trails. I want to make sure I give them every advantage if they take the Pioneer out of my sight.

I realize my caution is from a different place, and it works for me. I'm sure you aren't the only person that found a solution that works for them.

Rob

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Lochsa- Those are Kenda Bear Claw HTR's. Back in 2019 they seemed to be the most recommended tire on this site next to the Maxxis Bighorns. As for the width- I have not actually measured it, but my guess was I ended up about 52" purely based on the tire width increase.

Rob- for the "rest of the story" - part of my "prep for Moab" was to add wheel spacers to increase stability when side-hilling. When I took the P500 out to Moab in September it was with 1-1/5" wheel spacers on all 4 corners. There were 2 times out there that I thought it was going over- 1 on Hamburger Hill in Kane Creek Canyon and 2 on an obstacle leading up to the Golden Crack on Golden Spike trail. However, I found that either just letting off the throttle or getting into it a little more, would right the machine again.

Likewise, my pucker meter usually goes off way before I am in serious trouble. Like I called a "no thanks" on the rocket launcher obstacle as well as a pass on Hell's Gate.

Way back in my beginning of off-roading, I had a friend that always seemed to ride with me in my Blazer. He was good with movie quotes that usually had a lot of insight behind them. One that he used a lot was Clint Eastwood's line: "A man has got to know his limitations". My friend using that quote in different situations off-road has stuck with me all these years.

The limitations of your machine is a good one as well. Most of that early off-roading was when I was in college. So you did not beat on your machine, cause if you break it, your walking to campus on Monday. Also that would mean your sitting out next week ends off-road adventure because your broke or fixing your machine. The group as a whole learned what we could and could not do, so we could keep doing it.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
A 26" set of quality radials on the stockers goes up and out about equally. Add in the fact that they're a vastly superior tire and the safety factor goes way up too. The narrow front and wider back is kind of a holdover from the ATV's. The bigger UTV's run the same size F&R. Your terrain dictates tire choices. Rob and trig's setups are great especially if you encounter a lot of sand and/or rock faces but that extra height needs to be balanced by width. I screw around with 3 tire setups including a 59" during the year and are looking at another two combos in the near future. My OEM rims on stock Rhino Maxxis' with a thousand screws and 15lbs of air (close to as tall as my 28s) are scary but super winta fun. You'll pinch your thong when they bite into an icy corner and two wheel ya around it.......

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for all the great information. Any chance anyone is running the Tusk TriloBite HD 8ply’s”? I was thinking 26/9/12 in the front and 26/10/12 in the rear. Possibly on some Tusk Beartooth 12 7, 5 2 wheels. I am happy to hear any recommended suggestions for a good set up that will achieve some height without getting much wider. I’m far from a hardcore rider and don’t need the best. Just want to add comfort and some height that will also do well in the snow. Thanks

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!