P500 520 wiring question

W

wvmountaineers

Jun 17, 2021
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
First off, I want to say that my electrical knowledge is minimal, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. But here goes.

So I have a Honda sub harness, and I want to hookup a couple of small led lights to the interior of the cab. I have a switch, relay and red and black wires. How do I hook the red and black wires to the sub harness, which consists of a striped wire and a green ground wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

The white/black wire is powered only when the key is on. So if you wire switch input to that wire they will only work with the key on.

Reactions: 49north
W

wvmountaineers

Jun 17, 2021
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
The white/black wire is powered only when the key is on. So if you wire switch input to that wire they will only work with the key on.

That’s what I want. I guess my question is, which wire goes where? Red to white/black? Black to ??? Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The black would go to the green ground wire, a relay isn't needed for a couple small interior leds.

Run from the striped wire to one side of your switch, from the other side of the switch to the red(positive) on the lights. The black from the lights can go to the green (ground) on the accessory harness

Reactions: trigger
W

wvmountaineers

Jun 17, 2021
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
The black would go to the green ground wire, a relay isn't needed for a couple small interior leds.

Run from the striped wire to one side of your switch, from the other side of the switch to the red(positive) on the lights. The black from the lights can go to the green (ground) on the accessory harness

Perfect. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 906UP
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Female sheathed lugs are normally hot, exposed male bullet plugs are normally ground. All sub harness leads run off a 15 amp fuse so 180 watts max for the sub harness. As said, all are key on power.

Reactions: trigger and 906UP
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing to consider. On some Chinese LED lights, the positive wire is black and negative wire is white - opposite what one might expect. No damage done reversing the leads, the light just won't work.

To test things will work as intended, you might connect the LED temporarily. Alligator clip test leads come in handy, and a volt ohmmeter is indispensable (and dirt cheap).

BTW, connected my interior light to "always on" aux battery, like the courtesy light in a car. Just flip on small rocker switch on light. Very handy that way.

20210802 145838

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!