Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
I hopped in a rock climbing a hill and busted the splines on the outer joint of a rear axle. Both joints are good just need the shaft . Anyone have a good shaft from a broke axle joint ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

You cant seperate the shaft from the outer joint, if the outer joint is destroyed you'll need to get a half shaft and reuse the inner joint.

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
You cant seperate the shaft from the outer joint, if the outer joint is destroyed you'll need to get a half shaft and reuse the inner joint.

Hate to tell ya but it can be done , you will need to cut the boot off then clamp the axle in a vise. Use a brass punch and a big A hammer to hit the inner portion of the joint sharply and it will pop off. This method will not damage the joint .

H

HondaTech

But if your beating on the joint to get it off the shaft, couldn't you potentially damage the outer joint and cause it fail prematurely?

Why not just replace the half shaft and save time?

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
But if your beating on the joint to get it off the shaft, couldn't you potentially damage the outer joint and cause it fail prematurely?

Why not just replace the half shaft and save time?

Difference is money and you use a punch that just hitting on the inner part of the joint , no damage to the cage or outer part . Our group repairs axles all the time by using parts of other ones . I just don’t have a rear axle is why I put this out there. Ya it’s always a option to by new but not the only option.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!